The Worsfold coaching situation mega-thread

What to do?

• Got to go. Now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Got to go at end of year

• It was an away game. That was expected. Keep him.

• I'm a Fremantle supporter and I suck.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont consider myself in the pro-Woosh camp but I dont consider in the "sack everyone" camp either. The thing I dont understand from the latter of those two groups is...what do they expect? We're the youngest, least experienced team in the comp, which isnt just some excuse cliched comment. Hold the real ladder up against a ladder of age/ games played and see what you find. A new coach isn't going to get 50 games into Swift, Sheppard, Naitanui etc overnight nor have us putting in dramatically better performances overnight. Maybe I'm just not reactionary enough to be a proper supporter.
Well worsfold said he thinks we will win a premiership within 2-3 years.
If thats the case you'd expect to see some improvement from the players but it seems like we are going backwards.

While I think it's important to be competitive with whatever team you can put out it's a bit hard to get a gauge of where you guys are till Shuey, Kerr, Masten, Stevens, Swift, Shepherd are all on the park together for a few games.
They were all fit at the beginning of the year... but who did Woosha go with?
Priddis, Selwood, Kerr, Ebert.
Guess what the 09 line up was....
Guess what the 08 line up was...

Even today, he puts Koby with Priddis and Ebert... i mean c'mon. Having one player that can't move inside and out is dangerous... having 3 at times is suicide.

I'm sure they'll pull out the fitness excuse but anyone who was at the game and sees our gamestyle... flood the ball etc will know why we tire.

And if one player is not capable of providing an option in open play, then the strain falls on others and so on.

One issue I've had since last year has been the 'poaching' of the Richmond fitness coach to take over at West Coast..... that's right Richmond!!! Now I can understand going aftre somebody from Geelong, or St Kilda or a team with a winning culture but Richmond!!! Give me a break. As head coach Woosha needs to get people on board that are winners and can provide leadership, but taking on board a coach from a dysfunctional club like Richmond is just ridiculous. Although, he has at least got us playing like Richomd from a coupleof years ago, so if that was the goal he has achieved. For mind the lack of conditioning in players is seen by our last quareter fade-outs and the high error rate in disposal which I put down to tired legs and lack of running to make good position. One last point - if hear about KPIs one more time ....
whos the richmond fitness coach? i thought we only employed x docker staff.man we are losers from top to bottom

Well worsfold said he thinks we will win a premiership within 2-3 years.
If thats the case you'd expect to see some improvement from the players but it seems like we are going backwards.
no he said challenge within 3 years which means top 4. he has often spoken of needing to be top 4 to challenge over years.

people need to listen to everything the media dishes out.

The only think we can gain from this situation is the fact every player will feel responsible for our current position. Therefore every player will hopefully take it upon themselves to become better and hopefully we make a full on surge forwards from mediocrity to becoming a good unit.

If there is a starting midfielder in the AFL or for that matter the WAFL with as bad a kick as Priddis then i would like to know his name.

Priddis's kicking is simply not up to the standard.

He is a seasoned player and today 2 occasions in particular where he was under zero pressure and just had to hit a simple leading forward and his kick went straight to the opposition and they went straight down and scored.

This guy tries as hard as anyone and no one could question that but how are blokes making it into the AFL with such deplorable skill level.
And then become a first choice midfielder with those skills.

It is simply mind boggling and to be honest laughable to have to watch the so called highest level of the game and see any player with such poor skill level.

I have a stat for you all to add some perspective.

Terry Wallace won 38 of 99 games as Richmond coach over his 5 years for a winning percentage of 38%.

Since mid-2007 when Cousins was gone and Judd had OP Worsfold has won 21 of 70 matches in charge for a winning perentage of 30%.

Thats right. Worsfolds winning percentage in the last 3 seasons is worse than Wallace's at Richmond by a very considerable margin. A differential of 8% over a long period of time between coaches records is a very significant gulf. In footy terms i would call that a 6 goal margin. And nobody feels sorry for Wallace or thinks he was hard done by. Almost everybody agrees he deserved to get sacked. But Worsfolds record is worse. What are the odds that Worsfold could win 17 of the 29 matches to even equal Wallace? His record is deplorable and his winning percentage is likely to be under 30% by the end of this year. Whats more, i would argue that taking over the eagles in mid 2007 with the mandate of regenerating the club and getting it moving up after 3-4 years would have been far easier than the same mandate at Richmond in 2005 because we had a lot more tradeable commodities in 2007 that we could have used as gambling chips at the trade table than Richmond did in 2005.

Not sure why you used 2007 - we lost an away final by 3 points, and the next final after extra time - all without our core midfield group who are as good as had been on a park together. It actually pads out John's winning record - so it's not a dig - it just doesn't seem to make sense if you are referring to the rebuild.

How about Dean Bailey winning 11.5 games out of 56 - a winning percentage of 20.5% - that's nearly 5% worse than John's over the same time - yet Bailey is seen to be doing a decent job.

Melbourne missed the finals in 2007 and hence started a year earlier than us - and have turned over about the same players - albeit they are playing an older more mature players than us.

So Bailey is doing a decent job with more mature players on the park, a lower winning percentage and a year's headstart - yet Worsfold is woeful with a higher winning percentage, younger players and a rebuild starting a year later.

To justify my comments about the list and maturity

Melbourne's last team had 5 players with 100 games experience, We had 3 today
Melbourne's last team had an additional 8 who had played 50, WC had 7 who have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back