them crooked vultures

Remove this Banner Ad

I give this album 9/10 from first listen. Elephant and Gunman are brilliant, but the rest of the album is extremely good though. Funnily enough, I don't like the Foo Fighters, Never been big on QOTSA and have always just been a fan of Led Zeppelin.

I give this album 9/10 from first listen. Elephant and Gunman are brilliant, but the rest of the album is extremely good though. Funnily enough, I don't like the Foo Fighters, Never been big on QOTSA and have always just been a fan of Led Zeppelin.

Gunman is easily the most QOTSA-like song on the album IMO, and I'd have Gunman, Scumbag Blues, Elephants and Caligulove as my favourites, but **** it, they're all so good and there's barely a downer on the album at all.

As good as it is though, if I were to choose between this and the other Homme/Grohl album in Songs for the Deaf, I'd go for the later, but that comes down to personal taste.

As good as it is though, if I were to choose between this and the other Homme/Grohl album in Songs for the Deaf, I'd go for the later, but that comes down to personal taste.
Although that was more just Grohl drumming, as he didn't participate in the writing of SftD (well, officially, I don't know any more than that) whereas all 3 wrote the Vultures album together.

Exactly the same for me. Not keen on QOTSA, FF are a bit lacking bu okay, liked Kyuss and EODM.

This album has lots of Zeppelin influence throughout both with guitar riffs and drum style. Lots of Zeppelin sound without being a tacky ripoff. There's enough originality in there.

Although that was more just Grohl drumming, as he didn't participate in the writing of SftD (well, officially, I don't know any more than that) whereas all 3 wrote the Vultures album together.

You're right, and if you watch the vids of them recording the album, it shows Homme teaching Grohl the drum fills to 'Song for the Dead'.

Not keen on QOTSA, liked Kyuss and EODM.

No offense, and I'm certainly not having a go at you, and I can understand those that love Kyuss are not instantly going feel the same way about QOTSA, but I struggle to understand how you can like both Kyuss and EODM, but not be keen on QOTSA.

I know that EODM have a more garage and less dark sound than QOTSA, but yeah, that's the beauty of music really.

Oh, and just bought the Vultures album, sounds sooo much better on CD.

No offense, and I'm certainly not having a go at you, and I can understand those that love Kyuss are not instantly going feel the same way about QOTSA, but I struggle to understand how you can like both Kyuss and EODM, but not be keen on QOTSA.

I know that EODM have a more garage and less dark sound than QOTSA, but yeah, that's the beauty of music really.

Oh, and just bought the Vultures album, sounds sooo much better on CD.
I can't explain why I'm not keen on QOTSA. They just don't do it for me. I also find Homme lacking in a few areas. He's certainly talented but I don't share the same jizzfest fantasies others do.

Dead End Friends, Gunman, Bandoliers and Elephant are the standouts for mine. And being a fan of all three's previous work the expectation has certainly been lived up to for me.

Man this album just gets better and better on every listen. Will pick it up on CD tommorow and get it blaring in the car on the way home from work. First album I've bought in god knows how long.

Unlike the rest of you I'm a massive fan of QOTSA, Kyuss, EODM, Foo Fighters and Led Zepplin :p January is going to being awesome.

PS. Only negative on this album is no real Dave vocals. On a few songs, especially Mind Eraser but would have loved maybe even one song with Dave being lead vocalist.

****ING EPIC!!! I can't wait for the Melbourne show now. Easily the best album of the year. And yeah, would have been good if Dave was lead vocals for a song, I love his vocals more than Josh, but still awesome.

I'm a fan of all the bands too Fender, (FF being my favourite of all time) so all of them together is seriously awesome.

Where did you see the recording videos? They would be awesome to watch....

Here ya go:

[YOUTUBE]a8WsKjoigsc&[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]vH6oDDsa9c0&[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]2VtqaDU2G5Q[/YOUTUBE]

Very awesome indeed, although it seems you'll have to click on the 'watch on youtube' link.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Initially, I thought Dave Grohl had got kind of super-lame, but he still knows how to rock the drumkit so hard, it actually turns all his Foo Fighters-positivity-lameness into something cool.

He's like a rock 'n roll yoda now. Everyone thinks "Oh, it's just harmless old Dave Grohl, wandering around, dispensing folky wisdom", but, should the need arise, he is capable of unleashing his awesome fury.

Dead End Friends and Bandoliers are my faves ATM. Still listening to a downloaded copy, will have to buy it for the better sound quality. Does it come with a bonus disc at all?

Initially, I thought Dave Grohl had got kind of super-lame, but he still knows how to rock the drumkit so hard, it actually turns all his Foo Fighters-positivity-lameness into something cool.

He's like a rock 'n roll yoda now. Everyone thinks "Oh, it's just harmless old Dave Grohl, wandering around, dispensing folky wisdom", but, should the need arise, he is capable of unleashing his awesome fury.
Pity he's an HIV denier. (I still like the album, and from what I've seen he seems like an ok guy but that brings him down a peg or 2 in my books)

Gunman is easily the most QOTSA-like song on the album IMO, and I'd have Gunman, Scumbag Blues, Elephants and Caligulove as my favourites, but **** it, they're all so good and there's barely a downer on the album at all.

disagree; gunman is very zeppelinesque, reminds me a lot of immigrant song.
effin sick album btw, loving reptiles.

Pro shot footage from Reading is now available here.

After watching the epic 12 minute Warsaw on that, it's probably now my favourite song; just amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

them crooked vultures

Remove this Banner Ad

Back