them crooked vultures

Remove this Banner Ad

I listened to this album again. So good. I think this album sits at no.3 on my top albums for 2009. Elephant and Gunman are still killing (pun intended =p)

i love it when out of nowhere the album of the year arrives especially towards the end of said year. There has been a lot of hype about these guys but wowee this album is fantastic, just gets better and better. Bummed i didnt get tickets though. Will have to get a copy on vinyl for my collection for sure.:thumbsu:

Agree that it gets better and better the more you listen to it. It was decent but nothing special the first time but now I'm really starting to love it.
Also pissed I didn't get tickets. I had the opportunity to but at the time I couldn't justify spending $100+ on tickets for a group I hadn't heard a full song from whilst unemployed.

i love it when out of nowhere the album of the year arrives especially towards the end of said year. There has been a lot of hype about these guys but wowee this album is fantastic, just gets better and better. Bummed i didnt get tickets though. Will have to get a copy on vinyl for my collection for sure.:thumbsu:

Just checked ticket availability for the Brisbane show and it seems there are still tickets left.

Edit. Sorry, just realised you are in Townsville and not Brisbane.

I am struggling to come to terms with just how good Elephants is. The Incident is the best song of the year, but goddamn Elephants is a close second.

This album is certainly a case of the hype being lived up to. Brilliant.:thumbsu:

I just bought this album on Sunday, and the only word to describe it is brilliant :thumbsu:

Pretty disappointed they're not coming to Adelaide, and that it's probably too late to get tickets for Melbourne or any other show.

to Damon and other people...... check out ticketmaster. at 11.21 am this morning there was still tix left for melbourne.

Just checked ticket availability for the Brisbane show and it seems there are still tickets left.

Edit. Sorry, just realised you are in Townsville and not Brisbane.

That isnt normally a problem for a great band but have committed to soundwave with side shows by ISIS and clutch on the thursday and friday before so the war chest is dry as far as band trips go for a while.

I am struggling to come to terms with just how good Elephants is. The Incident is the best song of the year, but goddamn Elephants is a close second.
Elephants is a HUUUUGE disappointment for me. Homme has wrecked it with his insistance to change tempo too quickly into the song and too often. The other thing that wrecks it is the end of the riff - it doesn't sound right.

If he didn't f*** around with the tempo and got the end of the riff right it would be absolute killer. The bit with riff I am talking about happens clearly at 0.48. The whole riff gets chunkier but he leaves the last bit of the riff thin. That last bit of the riff needs to be chunker as well.

That's another reason why this song disappoints.

Killer riff (almost) but it doesn't come back every chorus like I think it should. I don't know why Homme inists on doing this shit to some of his songs (the tempo thing in his intros). It just doesn't work.

He should have used a standard pop formula with this song. Would have ended up sounding in the same general area as Franz Ferdinand's Take me Out but with a chunky riff that sounds ever so slightly like AC/DCs Riff Raff (but more polished).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Killer riff (almost) but it doesn't come back every chorus like I think it should. I don't know why Homme inists on doing this shit to some of his songs (the tempo thing in his intros). It just doesn't work.

He should have used a standard pop formula with this song. Would have ended up sounding in the same general area as Franz Ferdinand's Take me Out but with a chunky riff that sounds ever so slightly like AC/DCs Riff Raff (but more polished).

I think that riff could of been done a tad better too, else it would of been the best song. Also that 'come on' spoken at the end of the song irked me a tad. But no matter, very little is perfect :p

The riff in Scumbag Blues reminds me a lot of that.

I think you should all stop complaining,
irony much?

I think it's an awesome song with an awesome intro.
So what is it about jumbled chop change tempos that you like?

Why must it be any different?
Because it's a killer riff that has been wrecked. You can't sit there and soak it in and enjoy it. The tempo is all over the place and it's a pain in the arse to listen to. This is something Homme does regulalry and he hasn't worked out yet that IT DOESN'T F***ING WORK!

If you're going to diverse from standard pop formula make sure it works.

Hmm, I must be the only person on the planet thus far who has listened to this album in it's entirity, and wasn't that impressed.

It sounded pretty much like I thought it would, QOTSA meets Led Zep, which is one of the main reasons I listened to it in the first place, but I dunno, the songs just didn't stand up for me. There were three or four songs I didn't mind on there, so that is enough for me to spin the record a bit more over the weekend and see if it grows on me.

Im going purely to see Dave Grohl on drums. Anyone need any convincing check out Nirvana live at reading festival dvd. He is an animal.
I've seen a fair bit of their stuff on Youtube and they don't look that good live to me. That's not to say Grohl doesn't shred, but these guys don't look that tight live.

Remove this Banner Ad

them crooked vultures

Remove this Banner Ad

Back