There are rumbles at the top

Remove this Banner Ad

I hear that the discontent with Laidley is increasing at the club and serious questions are being asked.

Watch for more in the next few days if the media hit the story.

The only thing in Laidley's favour at this stage is that we cannot afford to pay him out!

gokangas said:
I hear that the discontent with Laidley is increasing at the club and serious questions are being asked.

The only thing in Laidley's favour at this stage is that we cannot afford to pay him out!

Laidley is the lowest paid coach in the AFL.

Our bottom line must be bad if we can't afford to pay him out?

All,

rarely post - only when something really gets me going.

I sent an email to the club today telling them that I will not be attending another game this year while we dish the crap out that we have recently (I go to every game in Melbourne).

It has nothing to do with the win/loss ratio - I dont mind losing (even the odd blow out) if I can see that we had a real dip and got beaten by a better side, or even if I can get excited with a few young kids we are playing.

The fact is, this year I have been actually bored at the games. I'm happy to see Perry played so far each week, but why drop Trotter? Why drop Le Cras after 1 real solid game, and 1 poor one when he had no chance to settle?

Yet the match committe persisit with guys like Sinclair who runs around in a circle each time he gets it. They even took Makepeace as an emergency yesterday who does the same thing!

Why not play Trotter for the rest of the year off half back and give him time to adapt? It will pay off for future years. Surely Spitter showed enough yesterday to warrant game time for the rest of the year? But no doubt he'll be kicking off the dew up at Nth Ballarat or Tassie in a few weeks.

I know the club is trying to avoid 'bottoming out' at all costs, but I think this is a cop out. Surely football fans of today are better educated than this and will stick by the club as long as they can see some development?

I'll continue to buy a membership each year regardless of what happens, but I'm getting real tired of the football we are trying to play when it is clear we don't have the cattle. How can we keep possesion with Simmo and Rawlings racking up the stats?

I know I'm starting to rant a bit know, but gee i'm frustrated.

What about our midfield? Any chance of playing some accountable footy (apologies to Spud when playing)? Some of on ballers have big heads and refuse to man up. If Wellsy and Boomer want to be unaccountable - OK. At least they hurt the other way, but Simmo and Grant frustrate the crap through me. In fact Simmo should be used only as a run with player from now on (how the wheel turns!). He is terrific in this role and will continue to be a valuable member of the team opposed to now.

I have many other thoughts but I just can't be bothered typing any more. I'll leave you all with 1 more comment though. Won't it be a sad day when Arch retires? Oldest bloke out there and still busting a nut - and he can hit a target with either foot!

Anyway - see some you at the VFL.

gokangas said:

It took you this long to figure out? :)

jonesy said:
All,

rarely post - only when something really gets me going.

I sent an email to the club today telling them that I will not be attending another game this year while we dish the crap out that we have recently (I go to every game in Melbourne).

It has nothing to do with the win/loss ratio - I dont mind losing (even the odd blow out) if I can see that we had a real dip and got beaten by a better side, or even if I can get excited with a few young kids we are playing.

The fact is, this year I have been actually bored at the games. I'm happy to see Perry played so far each week, but why drop Trotter? Why drop Le Cras after 1 real solid game, and 1 poor one when he had no chance to settle?

Yet the match committe persisit with guys like Sinclair who runs around in a circle each time he gets it. They even took Makepeace as an emergency yesterday who does the same thing!

Why not play Trotter for the rest of the year off half back and give him time to adapt? It will pay off for future years. Surely Spitter showed enough yesterday to warrant game time for the rest of the year? But no doubt he'll be kicking off the dew up at Nth Ballarat or Tassie in a few weeks.

I know the club is trying to avoid 'bottoming out' at all costs, but I think this is a cop out. Surely football fans of today are better educated than this and will stick by the club as long as they can see some development?

I'll continue to buy a membership each year regardless of what happens, but I'm getting real tired of the football we are trying to play when it is clear we don't have the cattle. How can we keep possesion with Simmo and Rawlings racking up the stats?

I know I'm starting to rant a bit know, but gee i'm frustrated.

What about our midfield? Any chance of playing some accountable footy (apologies to Spud when playing)? Some of on ballers have big heads and refuse to man up. If Wellsy and Boomer want to be unaccountable - OK. At least they hurt the other way, but Simmo and Grant frustrate the crap through me. In fact Simmo should be used only as a run with player from now on (how the wheel turns!). He is terrific in this role and will continue to be a valuable member of the team opposed to now.

I have many other thoughts but I just can't be bothered typing any more. I'll leave you all with 1 more comment though. Won't it be a sad day when Arch retires? Oldest bloke out there and still busting a nut - and he can hit a target with either foot!

Anyway - see some you at the VFL.

could not have said it better myself. while my loyalty will always be there it is being tested at the moment because the whole thing is depressing. we have a stubborn man running this club into the ground. he has made many of the young blokes tread water for years, when he had the opportunity to blood a few at a time while we were going well. now he seems to have lost the older guys as well and it will probably lead to his own downfall. it has been clear since the collingwood game that they have lost faith in the game plan and are going through the motions.

the most disturbing thing is his "game plan" which mystifies me. i've followed this club since the early 70's so i've had it good for many years but even when we were struggling in the 80's at least we were good to watch because we played with attacking purpose. i realise the game has changed but now we go in circles and confuse no one but ourselves. have some faith and let them play! he may well be surprised at the results and it will be a far more positive way to blood the young talent he claims to be bringing along.

i don't mind coaches wanting to have it all their own way and have their team play the way they want, but with that comes total responsibility when it falls down.

gokangas said:

i will throw in 50 bucks.

Originally Posted by sross
I hate Essendon but at least today they had dip. Sheedy didn't revert to the defensive flooding tactics that we use every week. They tried to rough up the Eagles and had a red hot go. I would rather us do that and lose by 10 goals than the rubbish we are serving up at the moment.

Spot on mate. I watched on yesterday as the Bombers gave it their best shot and I too hate their guts, however, I found myself watching on with envy........yes, envy! If Laids does go and Sheeds becomes available I have to say that I'd love to have someone with his convictions for what's right for the bigger AFL picture in charge of our side.

The Bummers went down in the good old NMFC style.............having a crack! We looked more like we came out of a human crack.................one found midships and aft!!!!!!!!!!

T'toes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twinkletoes said:
The Bummers went down in the good old NMFC style.............having a crack! We looked more like we came out of a human crack

T'toes

:D

Keep 'em coming, the floodgate will BURST eventually. JYD can't be forgiven (as a coach) for this mindless gameplan, even if we have a dip (for half a game to preserve a MASSIVE blow out), then I still BELIEVE JYD must walk. Players need fresh ideas and a coach that isn't afraid to move in the right direction.

I was just wondering if NORTH cop TWO HEAVY DEFEATS (70+pts) before mid season if YOU PAID UP & PASSIONATE MEMBERS are 'willing to see JYD coach out the season' coz I won't.

Let's face it, not many teams play FOUR QUARTERS anymore, it's not the same game, training has changed to accommodate this unattractive style, the difference between the Top 4 and middle of the road teams is 6-8 consistant contributors willing to play for thier teammates. It's that obvious, don't be sidetracted with the 'over-achieved' cop out line. I don't buy BS like that and neither should you. Do clubs come out and say that? pffft! turn it up. Time to get answers from the club why we have crumbled so badly. Heads would roll in the real 'cut throat' business but instead at the NMFC, it's 'look after ya mates' coz they ain't directly responsible.

KangaFett said:
which sounds like you have fabricated the story....nice try cashing in on our situation, but make it a bit more believable next time :)

Think whatever you like but I am telling you there are rumblings amongst the important people.

How lucky/unlucky has Dean been that the media are fully absorbed with Sheeds v Wallace and Collingwood and Geelong?

Our PATHETIC performance DESPITE ALL THE CHEAP TALK is going unscrutinised in the media.

Add to that Sheedy's deflection (he is so good at it) and ii is a week that the club would be happy to stay out of the media.
I would be surprised if that lasted the week.

gokangas said:
Think whatever you like but I am telling you there are rumblings amongst the important people.

well until ya start putting some meat behind it, you are only going to be bee dee ing yourself :)

its an organisation and like all organisations, there is someone willing to whine no matter what.

Yeah, the motto of it is not if you win or lose but how you play the game falls on deaf ears when it comes to AFL coaches.

I believe there is a good loss where you take things out of the loss and then there are bad losses where you learn nothing from the games.

I believe most of our losses have been bad losses. The only thing we should take out of those games is that we should not be playing football like that.

Laidley believed the club couldn't afford to bottom out, he is wrong, all clubs bottom out, it is a cyclical thing where only lucky or creative recruiting can allow you to live a bit longer.

Reality is we can't afford to play boring unnattractive footy less than we can afford to bottom out. I'd rather us end up in the bottom four playing the kind of footy that makes you want to watch footy than playing ugly footy and limping into the finals.

We should be playing a style of football that will win us a premiership, if we do not have the cattle then we miss out on the finals for a few years and we will get some decent picks but the young kids in the side now will grow up to be mature aged players will accumulate worthwhile experience rather than worthless experience.

If the only way we can ever win a flag is to play how we are playing now then I'd rather not watch football any longer because I found it hard to watch the game were we stuffed around with the ball and were on the attacking side of the wing only to end up back in defensive 50 time and again.

There is no point in switching the play if you have no options on the other side of the ground. There is no point in holding up the play and slowing it down if you are just going to be forced to kick it to a contest anyway and turn the ball over.

We are playing crap football at the moment, our skills are crap and even if we were getting over the line in these games I would not be happy because I know we are not going to get anywhere playing like this.

KangaFett said:
well until ya start putting some meat behind it, you are only going to be bee dee ing yourself :)

its an organisation and like all organisations, there is someone willing to whine no matter what.

Your reference to Bee Dee is the single most offensive thing that has ever been said to me. :eek: I'm just telling you what I have heard. Take it or leave it.

Mr Reliable said:
How lucky/unlucky has Dean been that the media are fully absorbed with Sheeds v Wallace and Collingwood and Geelong?

Our PATHETIC performance DESPITE ALL THE CHEAP TALK is going unscrutinised in the media.

It's probably best that we keep out of the media's focus. If we lose, they're not going to spend time analysing the football itself. Instead, they'll just going to link it to our financial health and future prospects in Melbourne.

You have to remember that when a club is in strife off the field, the master coaches will say anything to deflect attention from it so they've got slightly less work to do in rebuilding team morale. If the media did analyse our team, I fail to see how having the likes of Walls, Connolly, Sheahan and co. ripping into our players will help rebuild their already fragile confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

There are rumbles at the top

Remove this Banner Ad

Back