There are rumbles at the top

Remove this Banner Ad

Shinboners said:
I reckon that with most coaches, they feel that they are one win away from having everything fall into place.
That's the fickle caper it becomes. You know that Shinners, following the World game. It's a game of not only of inches but timing as well. Don't worry about what if's or buts, it's the 'crunch game' that determines the fate and let's not overlook the club goals in the pre-season. Either you achieve them or you're a sitting duck.

All we need to hear 'that the board is right behind JYD' ;)

1997LeadGoalKicker said:
Sounded to me like NMFC had planned 2006 as a real dip at finals contention, and now we seem to be in rebuilding mode.

No doubt he thought this was the year. Was very confident in the preseason & after the first game.

I still think we'll have an OK run home though. Just hope he keeps playing the kids & drafts only new kids at the end of the year.

Rooboy 96 said:
You sound like every other bulldogs fan I have spoken to lately... thinking a few home and away wins means the Bullies are the real deal... after September come back and tell me how good it was to finish low and gather draft picks in the hope one day your club may get their second premiership... btw you don't get a Cooney if you don't fall to the bottom of the ladder...

I don't think I was being condescending in any way shape or form. I know we're a good couple of years away from challenging for a flag and we're no better than a top eight side. I'm just saying Dean Laidley is a crap coach.

Anyway, while you are correct in stating that you can't get a Cooney without falling to the bottom, that's not where our improvement has been coming from during the last 18 months. It's come from the blokes we drafted in '99, '00, and '01 (Guido, Hahn, Hargrave, Gilbee, McMahon, Murphy, Harris, Cross, etc...) who have come good under the tutelage of a good coach. None of those players were taken under pick 10. While having some players like Griff and Cooney is handy, you don't have to bottom out to develop a decent young list. If Laidley had kept all the picks and drafted a whole lot of youngsters instead of recycling players who weren't up to it at other clubs, then you'd be in a much better position now. Some of the kids wouldn't have made it, but the ones that would have would now be getting more opportunity and there'd be more of them!

Geelong did it well (even if they're crap at the moment) and Adelaide have done it brilliantly. They never fell to the bottom, and you guys got Wells for a bargain basement price anyway (Carey could never have played for you anyway - also Adelaides biggest recruiting mistake). He's missed a great opportunity to develop a good list and he'll keep doing it if he sticks around.

Anja_Nees said:
I don't think I was being condescending in any way shape or form. I know we're a good couple of years away from challenging for a flag and we're no better than a top eight side. I'm just saying Dean Laidley is a crap coach.

Anyway, while you are correct in stating that you can't get a Cooney without falling to the bottom, that's not where our improvement has been coming from during the last 18 months. It's come from the blokes we drafted in '99, '00, and '01 (Guido, Hahn, Hargrave, Gilbee, McMahon, Murphy, Harris, Cross, etc...) who have come good under the tutelage of a good coach. None of those players were taken under pick 10. While having some players like Griff and Cooney is handy, you don't have to bottom out to develop a decent young list. If Laidley had kept all the picks and drafted a whole lot of youngsters instead of recycling players who weren't up to it at other clubs, then you'd be in a much better position now. Some of the kids wouldn't have made it, but the ones that would have would now be getting more opportunity and there'd be more of them!

Geelong did it well (even if they're crap at the moment) and Adelaide have done it brilliantly. They never fell to the bottom, and you guys got Wells for a bargain basement price anyway (Carey could never have played for you anyway - also Adelaides biggest recruiting mistake). He's missed a great opportunity to develop a good list and he'll keep doing it if he sticks around.

I agree to a degree. The fact is you have the far superior coach. Kangas choice came down to two coaches. Eade and Laidley. Laidley was half the price - he got the job. Simple as that.
eade is currently getting the best out of your team and they are playing good footy - even good to watch.
They then went and secured two good media gurus and they have set the media world on fire having the doggies prominent in the media with features etc - more than ever. the doggies are working hard and smart. I'm sure the Kangas are working hard but not very smart.
Good luck to the doggies.

grEEk_rOO said:
Tas get ready for a "CAUTION HAWTHORN MENTALITY" mention :p

No, I do not agree with the Hawthorn mentality.

I think if you are quick to pick up a change in player attitudes and adapt to a simpler game plan which is more direct you are less likely to cough the ball up, we lost by huge margins not because the opposition was great, but because we turned the ball over time and again due to the inability to hold onto the ball for too long.

Kicking a crapload of goals from being aggressive will fire up the players. Fart-arsing around with the ball for four quarters will just make things worse.

Why would you play a loose man in defense when you are blitzing in the middle and the opposition loose man is causing you headaches while your loose man is sitting there doing jumping jacks to keep warm? It just defies logic.

I think if Laidley said, 'Okay, we are down on form and confidence, lets go direct and play aggressively, that will fire up the players and will give them confidence.' then we could have won 2 maybe 3 games that we lost and we would just be struggling a bit rather than checking out who are likely to be good early draft picks.

With our squad we should be between 5th and 8th, even given the poor form we have been in. You just have to recognise that we can't play Gameplan A at this point in time, you bend in the breeze or you break.

Woodson said:
:D

Something that one day will revolutionize our game to the next level >>> anyway I'd like to see that >> A 'nobody' gets Roos back on winning list with simple game plan. Post game Press conference >>

Press says: How important was the structure to your gameplan?

Tas (rubbing his chin with a ear to ear grin) : Structure? you don't need structure, all I did was get the boys in a arm on arm circle and we belted out the club song, the boys really sang the theme song with REAL GUSTO, then I got them in close in a huddle, told them, 'remember, let's stick it up Dean Laidley and enjoy yourselves' the boys really gelled like it was schoolyard footy all over again, Arch was sensational the way he looked everyone in the eye and said that he LOVES them all and to do everything that makes your teammate a better player.

Press says: Will you be meeting with Andrew Demetriou to discuss the fixture and how the Kangaroos could bring the BIG Crowds back?

Tas says: First of all, it's the North Melbourne Football Club to you and I will be rounding up all the bananas from each club and I have ppl in high places (Big Footy) willing to knock some sense into this idiots about what directtion the AFL is heading but ..... (Tas reaches out for a bottle of water to sip) ... I won't be doing anything until I have a meeting with the Geish who is tearing this game apart with irresponsible guidelines that has his bunny friends looking like idiots with no accountability to thier decisions. Furthermore, I think the AFL should consider bring the game back Arden Street where the home of football is.

Thankyouverymuch.

Press reaction: :thumbsu:

I should be coach! :p

If we go down, we will go down having a crack and taking on the opposition rather than playing scared, timid football.

I'd sit down with each player and just say this is the minimum I expect from you, if you do not achieve the minimum then you wont be playing in the senior side no matter who you are.

I would not care if a player was beaten in a one-on-one dual, it happens, but you want to see the things done that influence games no matter how bad you are playing.

There is ZERO excuse for you to be standing still when a player in defense has the ball. You should only be standing still if you are suffering from a heart attack. You are either to lead into space to make options for the defender or you are to lead wide to create the space so someone else can lead towards where you are standing still scratching your arse.

You would want to see minimums in terms of efforts on and off the ball, shephars, running in numbers, positive things that create the opportunity for others. There is also the tackling and other 1%ers.

My real hate is players going to ground all the time and we are falling over like we are playing on an ice ring. All those basics are the types of things you do at training which becomes instinct on the football field. We are going indirect because they are taught to play like that and it is their instinctive reaction.

I do not see anywhere near the number of 1%ers, it doesn't matter how bad your form is, if you can't do the 1%ers you shouldn't be playing football. There is no excuse for a lack of effort. If you are standing around, it is a lack of effort.

The old North Melbourne slogan: 'VICTORIA AMAT CURAM'
VICTORY DEMANDS DEDICATION.

Our once mighty club is now shadow of its former self... nothing positive has been said about our club since we beat Port and Hawthorn...
Why cant we all stick together and get behind our club?
All this bickering is making me sick and im on the other side of the world.
We are not Richmond or Carlton. We are North Melbourne. Forever.
ASF

ARDENSTREETforever said:
The old North Melbourne slogan: 'VICTORIA AMAT CURAM'
VICTORY DEMANDS DEDICATION.

Our once mighty club is now shadow of its former self... nothing positive has been said about our club since we beat Port and Hawthorn...
Why cant we all stick together and get behind our club?
All this bickering is making me sick and im on the other side of the world.
We are not Richmond or Carlton. We are North Melbourne. Forever.
ASF

Fair point ASF and if that 'Victory demands Dedication' vision statement means anything, then JYD surely isn't doing his job right. You think we ain't hurtin'? we are SEETHING!!

Should have 5 wins on the board but somehow we deserve to have 8 with such inept 'unNorth' kind of footy. It's just so flippin' unbelievable and sHaTtEring to watch.

What I've noticed about the team this year - is that they are playing with no confidence whatsoever.

Surely, this is the primary responsibility for a coach - to get his players motivated and confident enough in each other and the team and the game plan to take on the opposition, take risks and play with gusto.

This is all sorely lacking this year. Simpson, Harvey, Grant and Wells are all playing footy with little confidence. Wellsy has had good moments, but is still not playing with 100% confidence.

I lay the blame solely with the coach. If we were to trade Wells to the Bulldogs or the Eagles, I bet he would start to show his full potential. A coach has to see what each players full potential is, understand their full repertoire of skills and provide the right environment for them to show it. It's becoming increasingly apparent JYD doesn't have these skills.

JYD lets Harvey get away with lacklustre footy. I've been railing against Boomer all season to chase. He's gone so soft this season that his tackles are non-existent. He doesn't run to position, doesn't win any of his own ball and drops his head far too often. For a guy who was vice-captain last year, I am appalled, but I still blame the coach. Drag him or drop him until he plays 100% committed footy.

I'm still hopeful JYD hasn't lost the players, but doubts are increasing.

Remove this Banner Ad

There are rumbles at the top

Remove this Banner Ad

Back