TimeFor11

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Portland
Since watching Fremantles great win against Brisbane I have had an issue and its all to do with Pavlich. He is in my Dream Team so I watch him quite closely. The guy never takes a mark in his hands out in front.

I thought to myself I will give it a week because he was just against Staker and a lot of the time he was by himself 4 5m ahead of Staker on the lead so the chest mark was suffice but still an extremely bad habit.

So I was very interested to see how he went tonight and I wasn't at all one bit impressed. He refuses to attack the mark with his arms out in front and take it in the hands. I have no doubt he can do it but he chooses not too and he will lose confidence in the skill and it severely hampers his game.

Until he fixes that he isnt anywhere near J.Brown, Rooey or even a Goodes in my opinion.

Freo fans do you notice this?

Yeah I know what you're saying, can't really fault his impact however I guess it is a way in which he could improve his game. If this is the only criticism you can find however its pretty minor, 'quietish' game tonight and still 24d 2g.

Also commonly has both his shoulders strapped, I do wonder if he's conscious of damaging them if he gets his arms chopped? Not sure, but if that's the case I'd rather him play like he does than get injured trying to mark outstretched and miss weeks.

What a load of shit, he may have had 2 off games in regards to taking it in his hands but it is not something i've noticed and it is definetely not a common occurance if it has happened. Also Pavlich is a superior player to Brown and Rievoldt if you had watched any of him this year and more so across his career you would know this.

Wasn't a Dream Team legend tonight, and for this he is a dud

/nod

PokemonKid.gif

Wasn't a Dream Team legend tonight, and for this he is a dud

/nod

If you actually read what I wrote you would realise my concerns were coming from the Brisbane game and would just check if it was a one off tonight... Instead you just had to get your pathetic little gif out didnt you. Sad.

To the realistic responses, I didn't take into account his past shoulder injuries.

And to DOCKER MAN - On this years form he has been on a whole better than both but Brown was best player in the comp to round 3 and Rooey the 2nd best before Rooey gone for season pretty much and JB clearly hampered by a niggle also. To say clearly better just based on this year isn't what I was getting at either way.

Absolute gun, but it is certainly an area where he can improve. If it is his shoulders that are of concern then fair enough. With the chopping of the arms rule in place, no forward can really be excused for not extending the arms and trying to mark the ball with their hands. Podsiadly is outstanding at this, if the forward can get a jump on his defender then the defender can do very little if the forward extends the arms, it's either chop the arms or hope he drops the mark. Attempting to take the ball on the chest just makes it easier for the defender to spoil.

he has great hands and he takes plenty of marks uot in front with arms stretched.

Frankly I don't know what you're on about, either you are blind, or you have formed this view on the sample size of 1 game

seriously dumb thread

Thommo pretty clear that I am not the only one with the view.

Also I didn't say he didn't have good hands just that he has a pretty costly habit.

Yeah definately the case, which is why Richmond took Fiora in front of him - worked out well wouldnt you say?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond FC (the user) is not that far off the mark.

He only took 1 mark tonight/last night.

My gripe is not that he can't mark, he certainly can and is an elite mark. It's the balance between midfield and forward.

When he moves into the midfield he becomes just another good inside midfielder. He wins plenty of hard ball and clearances. He needs to be given a free roaming role kind of a cross between Richo and Goodes. He is a better player than Goodes but when he goes into the middle he doesn't make it count, he could really lose his opponent, go back and dominate etc.

He could be a dominant force if he was given real freedom. It is the difference from being an elite player to being seriously talked up amongst Ablett, Riewoldt, Judd and Brown and perhaps even winning a brownlow or 2 like Goodes.

I say let him really run loose and hard and perhaps even be selfish or stick him at CHF. Because as a midfielder Pavlich is very good, but he is a superstar forward. Sometimes I feel like him moving to the midfield is a cop out if it's not getting to him enough.

When he's not taking marks as a midfielder, there is no matchup conundrum.

I didnt really notice this untill one of the commentators mention it during the geelong vs freo game. since then I too notice this.

gun player but definitely perfers chest marks.

Yeah definately the case, which is why Richmond took Fiora in front of him - worked out well wouldnt you say?

What Fiora has to do with this I aint sure. But Fremantle of all clubs...sure we have had some drafting mistakes just like every club but you have been like the Salvos over in the west in the most of your 15 years in the competition.

Until now also your drafting aint been great either so pipe down.

My point is Pavs inability to take the mark running full pelt on the lead in his hands and choosing the chest only to be spoiled may cost you a game this season.

David Hale does this all the time (except for that one game against Geelong). It really irks me. But, unlike Pav, who probably just prefers it, and is an elite mark, Hale cannot mark it with his hands outstretched and relies on the chest mark.

He could have been an all-australian multiple times except for this fatal flaw!

More like Multiple Colemon medalist.

Other players who have similar problems include Ashley Hansen and Quinten Lynch; so if Pav's real lucky when he grows up he could be just as good. :p;)

OP has a point.

For whatever reason, Pav has never liked using his hands. That is my one major criticism of him. Despite being able to take a big clunker on occasion, he is fairly weak in the air for a KP.

Edit: After a handfull of games, it's pretty clear that Fyfe ismiles ahead in contested marking.

Don't think it's a huge issue. Had some pretty poor efforts when things weren't going his way though.

Like his chase and tackle of Fairy boy Thomas late in the third when the game was pretty much done and dusted..... yeah... poor efforts.... throughout the game for him. :rolleyes:

Sure he didn't dominate but still had a decent game.

Remove this Banner Ad

They are called hands Pav!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back