Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I apparently commit the cardinal sin of not having my phone constantly on my person. It gets left on the bed, or in my jacket pocket when I hang it up, or in another room on silent so I don't hear it ring or ping :p . My son then has to resort to the landline (which we still have for some reason...) :grimacing:
My Mum infuriates me with this. When we're with her many times you can't peel the phone out of her hands as she scrolls yet when we text or ring she doesn't see it. Have found it's easier to just text both parents the question, one will answer. Unless it's -

"Do we need to bring anything tonight?"
Dad: "Ask Mum"

Me: throws phone out window

Ps I totally agree that phone face down on the table is common courtesy amongst my friends and family. I don't take a handbag anywhere and women's clothes notoriously rarely have pockets so where else am I gonna put it? Everyone's phones are face down and largely ignored.
I tried "whoever looks at their phone buys a round" recently. 1 mate claimed he couldn't as "someone might ring urgently for the kids".

Mate, if it's urgent they'll ring your wife as you're a moron. Put the phone down, you're only checking supercoach scores!

lets not go down the boomers vs millennials shit fight again

my parents and my partners parents aren't glued to their phones

two of them barely touch social media and two of them are on it a fair bit from their computers

so what we're on social media right now arguing about social media lol
As Gen X, I say let them have at it.

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

I mean my anecdotal example and experience was quite specific to the fact that its worse in people born within that generation.

Even the cranky response i got noted that some fairly widely accepted etiquette on phones down on tables probably demonstrated that theres a generational divide.

Anyway, no boomer bashing, got it.

I guess anecdotes and personal experience are the nature of this thread. But if you were doing research on the subject it would make sense to break it down by age groups, sex and cultural background.

i dont have work email or anything on my phone and my work phone is pretty much permanently on DnD

if im at my desk im available if im not at my desk and its an emergency call me

if you dont call its not an emergency

When the MIL comes over to visit her grandkids you actually cant leave her alone in the room with them, youll come back out and shell be on her phone in another world with the 6 month old about to crawl in the oven.

She also cant ignore a notification, ive told her off for answering her phone at the dinner table before (and yes with caller ID it was very very evident it was not an emergency).

I also think boomers are incapable of split screening or having any awareness whilst on their phones, i can be scrolling but if someone speaks to me or my kids are doing something i am aware of it, boomers seem to enter another universe and have zero awareness outside of their screen.
Is your mum my mum ?

God they are just shocking
I think they don’t have much going on in life so each ping of the phone is a pleasant distraction from the mundane

Even me saying quite sharply, "No phones at the table" had no effect :mad:

We are all similar age, btw, but I don't think I'm like that at all.
Poker venues are having a hard time policing this - sure most people are checking FB etc but there has been some recent controversy at the WSOP Main Event and still it doesnt stop people using their phones at the poker tables

The issue is some players may be running apps which help them find an edge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonus points if they text with 1 finger and have a leather wrap around phone case with all the cards that can be loaded on the phone anyway
Double bonus points if they are constantly complaining about how terrible the Clubs ticket app to enter the games is and they have to uninstall it every week ( or maybe that’s just a Freo thing - probably 🤣)

“ Bring back the Lanyard tickets” they cry !

Only notifications I have are texts and emails.

I have it for Teams as well, my workplace use it a lot.

I turned my email notifications off because I get easily over 100 a day and that does my ****en wig in

I get a lot of bullshit work emails so I don't have notifications on my phone for that, an email should never be urgent anyway, if it's urgent I expect a call.

More to the point I didn't know it was a thing .

Was watching this show....next min.
These people in wedding clothes getting pre wedding pics ...the couple didn't even set the date yet...lol..

Pre wedding photo shoots is big in Asian countries.
But it's getting bigger .

Remove this Banner Ad

Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back