Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that movies and tv shows, made recently but set in earlier times, have actors that smoke throughout.
They smoked on TV to make it look cool. To get people to start smoking.

It's no coincidence that the sponsors of state football were the cigarette of choice for kids when they started smoking.

Re Betting .

The other week when I was going into the city for the Maiden gig.

All the blokes on the train near me were all talking about the odds of different players.

E.g. the wizard playing 5$ for 3 goals .
This player great value for 20 and 1.

Huge market .

It's no coincidence that the sponsors of state football were the cigarette of choice for kids when they started smoking.
I have to admit, even i thought smoking looked cool watching Mad Men

As a cricket fan it enrages me how close the game is to gambling companies. It would be so difficult to rig a footy game and the pay-off likely too small, cricket on the other hand has shown it's vulnerability time and time again and here we are welcoming the enablers into our game.
"gamble responsibly"

Strange the afl turns a blind eye to the effects of gambling when it speaks passionately about other life aspects which are also important.

"gamble responsibly"

Strange the afl turns a blind eye to the effects of gambling when it speaks passionately about other life aspects which are also important.
185fb8e0d00331f2b801c43435d8de1981643ec2

"gamble responsibly"

The AFL fining Ken Hinkley $20k due to it being a bad look for the game and a bad influence on kids while they promote gambling.

The AFL fining Ken Hinkley $20k due to it being a bad look for the game and a bad influence on kids while they promote gambling.
ken should have just joined twitter/X, and commented under ginni's comment on grundy's post - no fine then

Of course product placement is a thing, but often there's no brand visible, just someone smoking. I doubt kids are going to copy a couple of old blokes smoking (as in Endeavour) but they might copy younger celebs who get caught by the paparazzi. Does anyone smoke in movies these days?

Agree sports advertising of cigs is very bad, along with drinking and gambling.

Of course product placement is a thing, but often there's no brand visible, just someone smoking. I doubt kids are going to copy a couple of old blokes smoking (as in Endeavour) but they might copy younger celebs who get caught by the paparazzi. Does anyone smoke in movies these days?

Was the major advertising B and H cup in the cricket.

1726712340746.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt kids are going to copy a couple of old blokes smoking
I don't know either way.

Maybe covered in the link I posted.

Smoking portrayed on TV, when measured as companies do when they do product placement, increases number of people smoking in general.

Putting it in a "cool" context is the method. Increasing use is the aim.

Bill Hader chain smoked when he played an Italian talk show host in this SNL sketch, I hope there weren't kids that copied him.

Most films now have something in the classification about tobacco depictions.

Feels like it should just be illegal at this point, as in, the gov is splitting the difference to keep the taxes on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back