Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 50 year old Holden and it has never let me down, well except for the times that it has let me down.

At least old Holdens are easily fixable. I once replaced a fuel pump on a 186 and it took me no longer to open the cardboard box and unwrap the plastic than it did to actually install the thing.

Took me longer to reattach a spark plug lead on a V6 that had come loose over a bump. And I ended up with burnt fingers from the exhaust manifold.

Some of Ford's imports are class leaders. The Holden vs Ford debate is so outdated and based on one model, its more like Ford vs Volkswagen and Holden vs Chery these days.

The whole debate is pointless because almost all the cars produced by both are imports and soon 100% will be.

The car industry is ridiculously globalised. People are driving around in VWs made in China, Holdens made in Thailand and Nissans made in Spain and they probably don't even realise.

The whole debate is pointless because almost all the cars produced by both are imports and soon 100% will be.

The car industry is ridiculously globalised. People are driving around in VWs made in China, Holdens made in Thailand and Nissans made in Spain and they probably don't even realise.

i like where your head's at.

why would you buy a ford or holden when there are plenty of better engineered (and just generally better) cars on the market

Why you would buy an Apple iPhone when there are plenty of better engineered (and just generally better) phones on the market.

Somewhat related - Why Sony aren't pumping millions into advertising for their phones.

Aren't they all made overseas now? When you think about the lack of diversification from both Ford & Holden it's no surprise they weren't profitable. Add to that the ridiculous wages that the unions demanded their members receive and I really struggled to sympathise with a lot of the people who lost their job.

As someone who loves old Holdens it makes me sad that we won't have a car industry soon but every govt assistance package I can remember has been about playing catch-up.

I remember when the Alloytec V6 was introduced in 2004 and it was the V6 produced by Holden with overhead cams. As far as technology goes, overhead cams are about as cutting edge as the Atari 2600.

I remember the Holden Cruze ("Australia's small car") being introduced in 2008. Hundreds of millions spent to produce an entry level 4 cylinder sedan that is already produced in 9 other countries.

HSV (which obviously piggybacks off Holden for their models) I've always had time for. They identified a small market segment and produce relatively small volumes of cars that people want and will pay a premium for. I imagine they'll suffer when the Commodore becomes an imported model, though. People will just end up buying Corvettes and Mustangs instead.

Where is the investment in biodiesel or solar or electric or anything that isn't what others were doing 10+ years go?

Why you would buy an Apple iPhone when there are plenty of better engineered (and just generally better) phones on the market.

Somewhat related - Why Sony aren't pumping millions into advertising for their phones.

Smartphones and cars are apples (hur hur) and oranges. Or apples and lemons if you prefer. Upgrading from a Samsung to an iPhone is like switching to a LHD car that takes diesel and can only be filled up at a BP servo and will break down if a Samsung owner sits in it or you put shopping in the boot then try to take it out again.

iPhone buyers are iPod owners who jumped on the first wave of smart phones. People like the functionality and ubiquity of Apple products, and once you are set up with iTunes etc. it's a pain in the arse to switch to something else. Apple's marketing is very good. iPhone is synonymous with smartphone to most people.

I have a Samsung S5 and **** getting an iPhone. I also have a Surface tablet and while it's cool for being a PC and tablet combined the apps available through the app store for tablet mode stink compared to iTunes/Google Play. People probably see non-Apple smartphones like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HSV (which obviously piggybacks off Holden for their models) I've always had time for. They identified a small market segment and produce relatively small volumes of cars that people want and will pay a premium for. I imagine they'll suffer when the Commodore becomes an imported model, though. People will just end up buying Corvettes and Mustangs instead.

How many different sports models were/are Holden peddling though? There was the S, SV6, SS, SV8, and so many more. There was just no need for it.

Smartphones and cars are apples (hur hur) and oranges. Or apples and lemons if you prefer. Upgrading from a Samsung to an iPhone is like switching to a LHD car that takes diesel and can only be filled up at a BP servo and will break down if a Samsung owner sits in it or you put shopping in the boot then try to take it out again.

iPhone buyers are iPod owners who jumped on the first wave of smart phones. People like the functionality and ubiquity of Apple products, and once you are set up with iTunes etc. it's a pain in the arse to switch to something else. Apple's marketing is very good. iPhone is synonymous with smartphone to most people.

I have a Samsung S5 and **** getting an iPhone. I also have a Surface tablet and while it's cool for being a PC and tablet combined the apps available through the app store for tablet mode stink compared to iTunes/Google Play. People probably see non-Apple smartphones like that.

Even this is a problem in itself, people assuming that Apple and Samsung are the only two choices.

Again, going back to Sony (the brand I use), they often have the fancy upgrade feature (eg. 4K display) a generation before Apple, Samsung, etc., and put out and equal or better product all round, yet because they don't advertise or offer telcos payola to push their products, nobody (in Australia at least) knows about it. I'm surprised that Sony don't realise that other companies have caught up to them with home entertainment, and heavily market their mobile devices to make up for it.

As someone who loves old Holdens it makes me sad that we won't have a car industry soon but every govt assistance package I can remember has been about playing catch-up.

I remember when the Alloytec V6 was introduced in 2004 and it was the V6 produced by Holden with overhead cams. As far as technology goes, overhead cams are about as cutting edge as the Atari 2600.

I remember the Holden Cruze ("Australia's small car") being introduced in 2008. Hundreds of millions spent to produce an entry level 4 cylinder sedan that is already produced in 9 other countries.

Where is the investment in biodiesel or solar or electric or anything that isn't what others were doing 10+ years go?

You're pretty spot on. All those packages should have come with some form of requirement for not just R&D but for implementation of that R&D.

It's a bit sad because in reality a lot of these things are about a country's identity. It's a pretty cool thing to spot an old Commodore overseas, it's like when you see a Fiat and it's such a foreign design. Now we're just going to get some watered down American designed car that was built in Thailand with cheap labor.

There's no way I'd buy a Holden or Ford again, I'll stick to a vehicle like Subaru or Honda where you know the Japanese quality control is second to none.

I know **** all about cars - what is it about Ford and Holden vehicles that makes them so poorly made? I have a Mazda, where do they sit?
Mazdas are good quality. Particularly the JDM ones of the 90s.

Thought the latest Holden and Fords were quite good quality. Don't mind the VN either.

I don't understand why Premier League numbers, names and badges are so expensive. Nearly $70 to get this done:

image.jpeg

Gee that's gonna suck when he goes somewhere else for $26 more a week in 3 minutes time

Wenger will never sell him. He's a top five CAM in the world.

It's always amusing to hear people saying Alexis and Ozil will leave. Arsenal are a destination club, not a feeder club. I look forward to getting his signature in Sydney next year. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back