Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

Liam Payne's death made me feel both old and sad. I have some inkling what a lot of the young people mourning him are going through because I suspect for many it will be the first time a contemporary be that someone they had admired or knew has died and that first brush with mortality can hit you like a f***ing Mack truck. A guy I went to primary school with brother in law drove into the back of a petrol tanker on the road back from Melbourne when I was about fifteen and I was numb for weeks even though we were never particularly close. Nowadays conversations begin too often with news about someone's parents dying or someone's health issues.
I cant say I mourned his death but for me it is the realisation that now famous people from when i was a teenager will die.

For context i was born a month after Liam.

My son gave my wife and I a journal where we write about our lives and pass it on to the next generations
I’ve just started on it and it brings back so many memories
Great idea for a gift
I’m writing everything down , the good the bad and the ugly .
Lots of incriminating stuff to be revealed but my kids are old enough now to make up their own minds on how they feel about the stuff I did at their age .
They don’t even come close ( yet ) which is great as a parent .
One is 19 , the other 22 and neither are into much dodgy stuff

Last edited:

My son gave my wife and I a journal where we write about our lives and pass it on to the next generations
I’ve just started on it and it brings back so many memories
Great idea for a gift
I’m writing everything down , the good the bad and the ugly .
Lots of incriminating stuff to be revealed big my kids are old enough now to make up their own minds on how they feel about the stuff I did at their age .
They don’t even come close ( yet ) which is great as a parent .
One is 19 , the other 22 and neither are into much dodgy stuff
That's a great idea.

I am going into hospital tomorrow to have an angiogram and have a stent probably put in. Father Time is really catching up with me now. Oh... to be 60 again...

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am going into hospital tomorrow to have an angiogram and have a stent probably put in. Father Time is really catching up with me now. Oh... to be 60 again...

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app
My brother had one of those He’s fine. You’ll be fine. All the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the first time I recall someone appearing in the news and instantly and correctly assuming tragedy before their time was Anna Nicole Smith. She’d been intense tabloid fodder the prior year but had been relatively quiet for a few months. Seeing her face suddenly back on the news you felt that dread and didn’t need to read the headline. I was just turned 18. Been a couple such examples since but that would’ve been the first such case for me. Felt like a kind of murder or succumbing to fate.

Last edited:
I find falling over to be a devastating sign of ageing. I'm clumsy AF, always have been. But as recently as 5 years ago I'd always bounce back up again. Now? Getting up is a whole process of assessing injury and trying not to hurt myself more.

I find falling over to be a devastating sign of ageing. I'm clumsy AF, always have been. But as recently as 5 years ago I'd always bounce back up again. Now? Getting up is a whole process of assessing injury and trying not to hurt myself more.
I went from '' heheh nobody saw that '' to '' please someone notice ''

I went from '' heheh nobody saw that '' to '' please someone notice ''

Oh, plenty of people noticed when I fell over this morning...

The process of getting up involved me telling them at least a half dozen times "I think I'm ok" - but the guy who came over to help was pretty sure I was just trying to convince myself.

I ripped my going out trackpants too :'(

At what age does 'falling over' turn into 'he had a fall'
Im not sure but late 50s when in hospital and they kept asking if I had had a fall in the previous 12 months

Did I look bruised? My really major fall was last year or early this year when I had a cramp - my story and I'm sticking to it - leant forward and fell over ripping the skin under my little toe. I then decided resting was the better option

At what age does 'falling over' turn into 'he had a fall'
I fell over on to hard packed beach sand while walking my dog a few months back. It was just an accident, dog pulled on the leash while I was turning in a different direction and off balance, had shoes with poor grip on. But I've always been pretty well balanced and this time I didn't get my hands down quick enough and hit my nose. Started wondering at what age it becomes a 'fall'.

Im not sure but late 50s when in hospital and they kept asking if I had had a fall in the previous 12 months

Did I look bruised? My really major fall was last year or early this year when I had a cramp - my story and I'm sticking to it - leant forward and fell over ripping the skin under my little toe. I then decided resting was the better option
I got very shabby with an older mate of mine last year and he took a tumble, he's a lot bigger than me and getting him up was an absolute nightmare.

I've had two "falls" - or I fell over - twice in the last year. The first time I was hosing the garden and the hose got caught between my foot and the thong I was wearing. My first thought was how am I going to get up?? (I managed it.) No injuries.

The second time I was carrying things in both hands and tripped on a step up. Landed on my wrist, still holding what I was carrying. Three months later I still can't put any weight on it, turn on a tap etc :(. Luckily it was my left wrist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

Back