Things that please me - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I recently graduated from uni (mature age) and wasn’t feeling optimistic about starting a new career. I won’t disclose my age, but am clearly a bit older going by my BF joining date. As part of my course, I had to do work experience. Apparently I was so impressive the manager contacted her head office to see if they could hire me. The university facilitators also put my name forward and highly recommended me. I worked my guts out because I knew I was going to be competing with ageism and being a female.
So today I had a ‘coffee meeting’ with the state manager. It went so well he told me on the spot that I was exactly who he was looking for, and I now just need to go through the formality of an official interview with head office. Usually candidates need to go before a panel, but I get to bypass that. They are even holding my position open for when I get back from Europe.
In 2021 I was given a 5% chance of surviving a rare condition. Against all odds, I won that battle. I was told I was going blind, but was blessed to have my sight restored by an amazing surgeon.
Going through this made me look inwards about what I wanted to do with my precious life, so I put one foot in front of the other and kept walking.
I hope my story inspires someone else. If you want something badly enough, keep going. There were obstacles, and so many times I wanted to give up. I have an amazing network of family and friends. I’ve also had an immense deal of luck, and access to health resources that so many others miss out on in other parts of the world.

So many things please me!

I recently graduated from uni (mature age) and wasn’t feeling optimistic about starting a new career. I won’t disclose my age, but am clearly a bit older going by my BF joining date. As part of my course, I had to do work experience. Apparently I was so impressive the manager contacted her head office to see if they could hire me. The university facilitators also put my name forward and highly recommended me. I worked my guts out because I knew I was going to be competing with ageism and being a female.
So today I had a ‘coffee meeting’ with the state manager. It went so well he told me on the spot that I was exactly who he was looking for, and I now just need to go through the formality of an official interview with head office. Usually candidates need to go before a panel, but I get to bypass that. They are even holding my position open for when I get back from Europe.
In 2021 I was given a 5% chance of surviving a rare condition. Against all odds, I won that battle. I was told I was going blind, but was blessed to have my sight restored by an amazing surgeon.
Going through this made me look inwards about what I wanted to do with my precious life, so I put one foot in front of the other and kept walking.
I hope my story inspires someone else. If you want something badly enough, keep going. There were obstacles, and so many times I wanted to give up. I have an amazing network of family and friends. I’ve also had an immense deal of luck, and access to health resources that so many others miss out on in other parts of the world.

Awesome work.
I know two people who went to uni in their mid 30s for a career change and both had no issues finding work afterwards but were worried about that.

It's a massive step to take, glad it's going well for you

Awesome work.
I know two people who went to uni in their mid 30s for a career change and both had no issues finding work afterwards but were worried about that.

I'd love to do it but with 2 young children that need looking after, it's just not financially viable sadly.

All power to those that do though, I think it's fantastic.

I'd love to do it but with 2 young children that need looking after, it's just not financially viable sadly.

All power to those that do though, I think it's fantastic.
yeah its hard

i just realised i know 3 people that did it and one of them went back to their old job after 6-12 months of trying out the new one

yeah its hard

i just realised i know 3 people that did it and one of them went back to their old job after 6-12 months of trying out the new one
At least they can say they gave it a crack! Most people don't.

Awesome work.

I quit my IT job at 30 to study horticulture. Wife and I decided that we needed to do things we enjoy rather than just working to survive.

I quit my IT job at 30 to study horticulture. Wife and I decided that we needed to do things we enjoy rather than just working to survive.
You've been able to make a good career in horticulture by the sounds of it?

That's fantastic!

You've been able to make a good career in horticulture by the sounds of it?

That's fantastic!
Yeah it took 4 years of applying to the same place, finally got a seasonal job there ,now 14 years later I manage the production team producing close to a million seedlings a year.

Awesome!

What was the uni degree/new role?

Yeah it took 4 years of applying to the same place, finally got a seasonal job there ,now 14 years later I manage the production team producing close to a million seedlings a year.
We got told to keep persevering with companies we really want to work for - glad this paid off for you! can you send me some Iceland poppy seedlings? :). the horticulture industry in WA got hit badly with chilli thrip and we have lost so many growers.

We got told to keep persevering with companies we really want to work for - glad this paid off for you! can you send me some Iceland poppy seedlings? :). the horticulture industry in WA got hit badly with chilli thrip and we have lost so many growers.
I work for an Australian native nursery, we don’t grow weeds 😜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome work.

I'm going to be 58 this year! there, it's out there now lol. I have been studying something at Uni since my 40s. I started doing PR, then ended up in journalism. I wasn't enjoying the course so switched to history. I graduated several years ago and was hoping to get work at the new museum, but I couldn't even get an interview (despite volunteering for them). During Covid I started a Masters of Human Rights, which was my first online experience. Throughout my studies I was working part-time in my husband's accounting firm, which he sold last year.

I was offered a new contract with the new owners. This was the turning point for me because I knew I no longer felt the desire to help put these guys as much as I had helped out my husband. Surprisingly, they have all been very supportive since I've left.

I rolled the dice with this career change. It was the last opportunity to do something for me. I was a stay at home mum for years, and then worked alongside my husband for 20 years. Being a woman over 50 makes me the least employable, so am glad it looks like I have smashed that barrier.

I'm going to be 58 this year! there, it's out there now lol. I have been studying something at Uni since my 40s. I started doing PR, then ended up in journalism. I wasn't enjoying the course so switched to history. I graduated several years ago and was hoping to get work at the new museum, but I couldn't even get an interview (despite volunteering for them). During Covid I started a Masters of Human Rights, which was my first online experience. Throughout my studies I was working part-time in my husband's accounting firm, which he sold last year.

I was offered a new contract with the new owners. This was the turning point for me because I knew I no longer felt the desire to help put these guys as much as I had helped out my husband. Surprisingly, they have all been very supportive since I've left.

I rolled the dice with this career change. It was the last opportunity to do something for me. I was a stay at home mum for years, and then worked alongside my husband for 20 years. Being a woman over 50 makes me the least employable, so am glad it looks like I have smashed that barrier.
that's great to hear
being the stay at home parent is a massive amount of work that goes unrecognised in so many ways

I'm glad you're getting to do something you want with work

ahh we have friends who do that here :)

I love all kinds of plants, other than succulents lol
I buy a lot of seeds from WA, imo WA has the best native flowers , it’s why I can’t wait to take my motorhome over there and see them all one day.

That is an absolutely incredible story. What was the condition?
Roth Spots Endocarditis/septicaemia. Not only was I very ill, I kept having bad reactions to the medications. I had surgery that caused a bad infection and I ended up connected to a Vac dressing for months. The infection mimicked glaucoma in my eye. I have auto immune issues that went beserk after the Pfizer jab.
That little dog in my avi became my world during my recovery. I was in hospital 9 times. When the doctor asked the hospital if there was any way they could bring my dog in, I knew things weren’t going well.

Thanks for your story, congratulations and good luck!

My late mum left school at age 14, even though she won a scholarship to a good high school, as she had to help support her family. All her life she valued education, first for her kids and also for herself, undertaking several short courses in creative writing, history and art. At the same age as you are now, she finally achieved her HSC by correspondence, graduating from high school 🥲

I've been working on a little project called "Footy Record" to plot AFL possession chains. Finally finished the first proper prototype last night.

output.gif

whats your thoughts on the Davidson plum?
Very cool looking plant, haven’t actually tried one, we occasionally buy them in to sell but as we are a nursery in SA we prefer to sell plants that will survive in our climate. My favourite bush Tucker food is muntries which are these small hard fruits that taste like Granny Smith apples. I love finger limes as well and lemon Myrtle is a very versatile plant for cooking and flavouring.

Very cool looking plant, haven’t actually tried one, we occasionally buy them in to sell but as we are a nursery in SA we prefer to sell plants that will survive in our climate. My favourite bush Tucker food is muntries which are these small hard fruits that taste like Granny Smith apples. I love finger limes as well and lemon Myrtle is a very versatile plant for cooking and flavouring.
Love the myrtle. And i have a finger lime plant at my house (but i dont live there atm but my tenants are enjoying my fruits).

We have some amazing natives in all our regions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that please me - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back