Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

Five of us are meeting up for a drink. We will probably eat there too so we booked a table. The bar has insisted on a $25 deposit per person which will be forfeited for each person who doesn't show up. I've not heard of this practise before.

Five of us are meeting up for a drink. We will probably eat there too so we booked a table. The bar has insisted on a $25 deposit per person which will be forfeited for each person who doesn't show up. I've not heard of this practise before.

Is it say on grand final day?

It has become more and more common. I don’t have an issue with it given how difficult it is for restaurants to make a living these days, and when you are turning people away because you are “booked” and then you have no shows, would be frustrating.

We recently elected to go somewhere else when a local venue wanted the $20 per head because we knew there would be some who bailed. Suppose the key here is getting the money off others beforehand and you aren’t left out of pocket

I’ve heard of deposits and taking card info but $25 per person is outrageous imo.

It's a post-covid hangover.

When we all reopened right after covid and could do bookings only, it seems that lots of customers were making bookings at multiple restaurants and then choosing which one they wanted to go to on the day. It meant that obviously lots of other customers were being turned away and lots of restaurants were losing money.

$25 a head is a lot but deposits are increasingly common and won't be going away.

It's a post-covid hangover.

When we all reopened right after covid and could do bookings only, it seems that lots of customers were making bookings at multiple restaurants and then choosing which one they wanted to go to on the day. It meant that obviously lots of other customers were being turned away and lots of restaurants were losing money.

$25 a head is a lot but deposits are increasingly common and won't be going away.
What is the cancellation policy? Like if someone calls on the day and says they have a positive covid test or gastro or whatever and will just come in if the deposit isn’t refunded what does the restaraunt do?

Welcome to Hospitality.

Last edited:
What is the cancellation policy? Like if someone calls on the day and says they have a positive covid test or gastro or whatever and will just come in if the deposit isn’t refunded what does the restaraunt do?
Depends on the restaurant. We don't have such a policy at my workplace (we're too skewed to the family market who just won't book if there's a per head deposit). Some of them require 24 hours notice and then it's a full refund, some of them will say tell ya story walkin' pal and not give a ****.

Always gotta read the cancellation policy!

couple years ago, booked a reservation for my wife's birthday, 2 days before, we double checked the menu because my wife is a fussy eater and noticed they had changed the menu and what she had planned on eating was no longer there, I had cancelled our booking, because it was less than 48 hours until the booking, they hit us with a $40 cancellation fee, was not impressed

couple years ago, booked a reservation for my wife's birthday, 2 days before, we double checked the menu because my wife is a fussy eater and noticed they had changed the menu and what she had planned on eating was no longer there, I had cancelled our booking, because it was less than 48 hours until the booking, they hit us with a $40 cancellation fee, was not impressed
This is why ya just stick with KFC. The Colonel holds no surprises

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve heard of deposits and taking card info but $25 per person is outrageous imo.

I can understand a $25 deposit in total. That's enough to not frivolously book a couple of different places and pick one at the last minute. But charging $25 for one person not being able to attend is outrageous. Even if only four of us rock up they are likely to get about $300 business from us.

If it was up to me I would tell the place to stick it and go somewhere else but trying to get the five of us to agree to a venue and time has been like herding kittens.

I can understand a $25 deposit in total. That's enough to not frivolously book a couple of different places and pick one at the last minute. But charging $25 for one person not being able to attend is outrageous. Even if only four of us rock up they are likely to get about $300 business from us.

If it was up to me I would tell the place to stick it and go somewhere else but trying to get the five of us to agree to a venue and time has been like herding kittens.
I got sick of this so a mate and I agree to everything then tell people "we'll be at xyz from 630, come if you want". Has worked pretty well

Completely agree and as the organizer of most mates and family things I also feel that pain

A Place we go to on special occasions does this but I never paid the deposit I say it's a birthday we'll be there..thank you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back