Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

No, not lol ok. I suggest you have no idea if it’s significance. Haven’t seen you complaining about the National anthem being played all the time
Because it's not played all the time? Have never heard the national anthem being played upon landing after a domestic flight.

Because it's not played all the time? Have never heard the national anthem being played upon landing after a domestic flight.

And so you should be welcomed to country when you land on a domestic flight.

Personally I don’t know why non Aboriginal bother with it, you told us what you thought when you voted

Acknowledgment of Country loses its relevance when it’s done in a manner where it’s said because they’ve been told to say it and not because they “believe” in what they are saying and you can hear that

Last nights AFL welcome was actually very good but out came the racists in droves

I think the national anthem and the WTC should be reserved for international sporting events. Dunno why either are needed for a national game.

Grand Final too maybe.

Doesn't really bother me though tbh, dunno why people get so up in arms over the WTC.

Because WTC is not a welcome to Australia, it’s a welcome to the place you are standing on at that point in time

To simplify it - it’s like me rocking up to your house and you welcoming me and inviting me in - it’s really that simple

The hard part is non Aboriginal people struggling to accept that we still see this as our land and rather than just accepting the welcome, rail against it

Because WTC is not a welcome to Australia, it’s a welcome to the place you are standing on at that point in time

To simplify it - it’s like me rocking up to your house and you welcoming me and inviting me in - it’s really that simple

The hard part is non Aboriginal people struggling to accept that we still see this as our land and rather than just accepting the welcome, rail against it

Perfectly said

I don't mind the WTC and I understand its purpose, I just think that and the national anthem would be better for international sports. but thats just me.

I'm not really fussed either way, I don't get why people get so outraged over it being done.

Last nights was odd, I respect he tried to clear up the misunderstanding with the WTC, but he could have gone about it/worded it a little bit better than he did (That said, theres been a few articles out completely misrepresenting what he said).

If someone is coming to my house for the first time then I would welcome them and invite them in. If they were living with me I wouldn't every time they walk through the door say, "Welcome to my house".

If someone is coming to my house for the first time then I would welcome them and invite them in. If they were living with me I wouldn't every time they walk through the door say, "Welcome to my house".

But you would say
Hi, come in - same thing

FWIW I know lots of elders who will no longer do a Welcome. It’s not appreciated and as far as they are concerned, you are no longer welcome. Think of it as you and a friend having a falling out and they no longer come to your house.

Like I said, when non Aboriginal people do it, it’s perfunctory and done because you’ve had to.

When I do an acknowledgment, I talk about the Country I’m on, the significance of the site, maybe a little bit about the season we are in, the connection to my own mob if it’s relevant - I try and make it informative - why, because I respect the house and the hosts of the house I’m in

The acknowledgments you are talking about are done because of organisational RAPs that no one really gives a **** about but It’s a requirement, makes them look informed and a place you might want to work and to meet the requirements for any black $$ they are looking for - that’s it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying welcomes have been performed since 250,000 years BC (before Cook, whatever that means) was a bit OTT. Even the players were nudging each other and looking sideways. Exaggeration doesn't help a cause.

Also, some of the welcomers come across as accusatory. A few smiles and signs of genuine friendship would go a long way, as they do in every relationship. If someone rebuffs you, it's their problem, not a reason to stop being friendly.

Saying welcomes have been performed since 250,000 years BC (before Cook, whatever that means) was a bit OTT. Even the players were nudging each other and looking sideways. Exaggeration doesn't help a cause.

Also, some of the welcomers come across as accusatory. A few smiles and signs of genuine friendship would go a long way, as they do in every relationship. If someone rebuffs you, it's their problem, not a reason to stop being friendly.

Im smiling at your post right now - I’m sorry you don’t get to see it in person
I’m really interested in knowing What sort of genuine signs are you looking for?

Uncle and his 250,000 years might have been stretching it, who really knows, but WTC was carried out long before Ernie Dingo put words to it. I would encourage you, if you are “genuine” to read or listen to some black history written by black authors to get a better understanding than what you obviously have

Im smiling at your post right now - I’m sorry you don’t get to see it in person
I’m really interested in knowing What sort of genuine signs are you looking for?

Uncle and his 250,000 years might have been stretching it, who really knows, but WTC was carried out long before Ernie Dingo put words to it. I would encourage you, if you are “genuine” to read or listen to some black history written by black authors to get a better understanding than what you obviously have
As there is no written history available, only passed down memories and customs that may or may not be accurate, may or may not be factual, it's probably best not to stray too far into hyperbole. Where do black authors of the 21st century acquire their information? A lot of white authors of two hundred years ago also recorded their observations and most were very enquiring and open-minded. I'm reading Watkin Tench's book 1788 right now. He was an officer of the First Fleet and recorded the journey and the beginning of the settlement, during which he met many of the local indigenous people. Of course it was written from an outsider's perspective, nevertheless he was keenly interested in them and their lifestyle and the things they told him.

I don't mind the Welcomes at special occasions, but I think the Acknowledgements at every meeting, etc, shouldn't be obligatory.

I wonder how it would go down in the States if Native American Indians did a Welcome to Country before all their sports games.

They play their national anthem before all the MLB games, I think they do in the NBA too but stopped playing it at all NFL games.

As there is no written history available, only passed down memories and customs that may or may not be accurate, may or may not be factual, it's probably best not to stray too far into hyperbole. Where do black authors of the 21st century acquire their information? A lot of white authors of two hundred years ago also recorded their observations and most were very enquiring and open-minded. I'm reading Watkin Tench's book 1788 right now. He was an officer of the First Fleet and recorded the journey and the beginning of the settlement, during which he met many of the local indigenous people. Of course it was written from an outsider's perspective, nevertheless he was keenly interested in them and their lifestyle and the things they told him.

I don't mind the Welcomes at special occasions, but I think the Acknowledgements at every meeting, etc, shouldn't be obligatory.

All cultures learnt their history by being memorised and handed down before the written word existed, including your own.

It’s very common for Europeans to try and dismiss Indigenous history across the world because there’s no “written stories”, but through the study of oral traditions, artwork, archaeological finds etc. it does show that these “tales” are found time and time again and therefore support that they did indeed exist

I have no issue with those who say WTC is over used - I’ve already agreed with that, lost all value and you should let your bosses know or even voice that thought out loud next time you need to sit through it. Even if they did reserve it for so called “special occasions” it wouldn’t matter for some, it would still offend and the usual bullshit reasons would be trotted out.

I find some of the lyrics to our national anthem a bit lame. "Our home is girt by sea". So?
The tune shits me more, it's a bit of a dirge. We need a banger of a song with guitars and a horn section and chick singers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back