Things That Shit Me (AFL edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sensitive one aren't ya? I bet you send players off if they look at you the wrong way. Please explain to me then. Help me understand why an umpire is doing high knee and A-marches before a game? And 100m sprints and walking lunges? All of this 45min before the game.
You're pathetic mate, bet you'd love to punch out an umpire if you had the chance. Only card I've given was a flat out aim for the head and we were all thankful it wasn't spinal. I also play, and I see the difference of an umpire not running as it damn well shows.

As for the warm-up, you fail to understand just how much the three umpire system requires. It's built on quick movement and 'switches' so that there's always an umpire to set the mark almost anywhere. Watch the screen next time, it's not just pass the parcel. They're consistently overlapping each other. Also, play travels faster than a player does yet that's just too bad because the umpire needs to be at that next contest or it's all over(generally speaking this where the weird bullshit decisions at AFL level pop up, they couldn't get to the optimum position in time) Again, quick and smart movement is needed.

Also really, that's just standard stretching for what they're about to do. Helps them perform better(or in the case of some of them, to an adequate level). Everyone about to run that much should do it. In any exercise.

Umpires and footballers will forever argue and that's across many sports. But saying that our umpires don't need to warm up to that level? You care more about what they look like rather than their need to keep after their bodies and ensure they can run a game out and do their jobs? Or better yet, you suggest that they deliberately warm-up so that people can look at them? Gee, maybe they might even warm up that early precisely because they might want to mitigate and cater to opinions like yours and earlier means less people see them?

But you don't have a shred of empathy for umpires and I highly doubt you'd ever become a good one.

You're pathetic mate, bet you'd love to punch out an umpire if you had the chance. Only card I've given was a flat out aim for the head and we were all thankful it wasn't spinal. I also play, and I see the difference of an umpire not running as it damn well shows.

As for the warm-up, you fail to understand just how much the three umpire system requires. It's built on quick movement and 'switches' so that there's always an umpire to set the mark almost anywhere. Watch the screen next time, it's not just pass the parcel. They're consistently overlapping each other. Also, play travels faster than a player does yet that's just too bad because the umpire needs to be at that next contest or it's all over(generally speaking this where the weird bullshit decisions at AFL level pop up, they couldn't get to the optimum position in time) Again, quick and smart movement is needed.

Also really, that's just standard stretching for what they're about to do. Helps them perform better(or in the case of some of them, to an adequate level). Everyone about to run that much should do it. In any exercise.

Umpires and footballers will forever argue and that's across many sports. But saying that our umpires don't need to warm up to that level? You care more about what they look like rather than their need to keep after their bodies and ensure they can run a game out and do their jobs? Or better yet, you suggest that they deliberately warm-up so that people can look at them? Gee, maybe they might even warm up that early precisely because they might want to mitigate and cater to opinions like yours and earlier means less people see them?

But you don't have a shred of empathy for umpires and I highly doubt you'd ever become a good one.

Correct. You. Right on the button.

I could make a list but I'll restrict it to the basics

Poor goal kicking
Stomach punches
Umpires that revel in controversial decisions
Seeing a fixture that sends Freo to Launceston

Things That Shit Me:

White away strips!
Umpires wanting to make a name for themselves by making deliberate, ridiculous, headline grabbing decisions. (See Port V GWS half time nonsense)
Hawthorn
The Bye Rounds
Mr re-active Mark Evans
Hawthorn again!

Sensitive one aren't ya? I bet you send players off if they look at you the wrong way. Please explain to me then. Help me understand why an umpire is doing high knee and A-marches before a game? And 100m sprints and walking lunges? All of this 45min before the game.

I'll answer that.

Proper warm-ups stave off injuries in an ideal sense. With only 33 senior umpires on the panel, the importance of maintaining that fitness is crucial.

To me it is simple - if we are expecting our players to be finely tuned athletes, the same standards should be aplied to those who are umpiring the game at that level.

Just seems like a standard warm-up for an extended period of athletic activity.

Obviously the requirements at lower levels are different, and nobody is saying that you need to be doing the same.

I'll answer that.

Proper warm-ups stave off injuries in an ideal sense. With only 33 senior umpires on the panel, the importance of maintaining that fitness is crucial.

To me it is simple - if we are expecting our players to be finely tuned athletes, the same standards should be aplied to those who are umpiring the game at that level.
Don't patronise me mate. Every man and hia dog knows the importance of warming up. The extent that they go to is nonsensical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are calling someone else sensitive?

You do realise you started a thread to complain about umpires doing a warm up on the ground rather than in the rooms, because it offends you?

You are calling someone else sensitive?

You do realise you started a thread to complain about umpires doing a warm up on the ground rather than in the rooms, because it offends you?
Doesn't offend me at all. I just think it's ridiculous.

Have you ever umpired? They aren't just jogging during the game. They sprint, change direction. Go from sprinting in one direction to running backwards. The whole technique to throwing the ball in for boundary umpires is dynamic. There is more to it than you know.

So they sprint and change direction. Even run backwards. And they throw a ball in. Who knew?

Puhleeze. When there were only 2 field umpires did they do this pre-game self-aggrandizing BS on the playing field?l No. When there was only one field umpire did they do this? No. When there were only 2 boundary umpires did they do this? No.

Go figure...

Andy Maher
No idea who he's been blowing to keep bouncing back and appearing on my screen.
He's shit at everything.
He's neither funny nor respected.
Cringeworthy bad.
Cant explain it...perhaps he has some bedroom dirt on tv producers, or maybe he makes up his own crap to remain in the media then flogs it for free.

So they sprint and change direction. Even run backwards. And they throw a ball in. Who knew?

Puhleeze. When there were only 2 field umpires did they do this pre-game self-aggrandizing BS on the playing field?l No. When there was only one field umpire did they do this? No. When there were only 2 boundary umpires did they do this? No.

Go figure...
I stated the obvious you arrogant campaigner because OP said they only jog and nothing they do is dynamic. Get an idea before you post.
Players used to smoke at half time and drink alcohol as a post game ritual. Sport science has developed over time, not only for the players.

Go figure...

I stated the obvious you arrogant campaigner because OP said they only jog and nothing they do is dynamic. Get an idea before you post.
Players used to smoke at half time and drink alcohol as a post game ritual. Sport science has developed over time, not only for the players.

Go figure...
Awesome deflection. I think what is obvious is that you have missed the point entirely. .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Things That Shit Me (AFL edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back