Society & Culture Things that Shit me part X- The Tenth edition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that really shits me, is people who have been spouting out vitriol towards Sonia Kruger and her comments regarding the ban of Muslim immigration.

Now I'm not going to comment either way, because I'm not trying to have a say myself. But what shits me, is that a person can't share their thoughts, in a country that supposedly has free speech. What she said wasn't hate speech, it wasn't based on race, and it wasn't based on an unfounded bias against Islam. It was an opinion, that largely centred on "if it happened in a liberal democratic country with a significant Muslim population such as France, then it can happen in a liberal democratic country with a significant Muslim population such as Australia". Islamic State has impacted this country, both at home and abroad, so why can't someone start the conversation about banning Muslim immigration? Matty Johns said the only worthwhile thing that ever come out of his mouth, explaining that this fuels the supposed dichotomy between Muslims and non-Muslims in this country, and will very possibly increase Islamic State's recruitment on Australian soil. He's actually got a point.

People are scared. People want to know what's going on. The uncertainty, the gallimaufry of information regarding Islamic State and global terrorism (which is barely reported correctly), and an ill-informed populace, means that we've got a nation on edge. However they sure as hell won't openly say anything about banning Muslim immigration. Not the moderates or the leftists anyway.

The media is heavily moderate or left. Some moderates might be conservative on the inside, but since their jobs rely on figures and ratings in an increasingly politically correct country such as Australia, the scope of what they can say in the media is very limited. Andrew Bolt aside, I think Sonia's opinion helps balance the conversation. And even if you don't agree with her, I think it showed courage to stand up for what she believes in and that it was completely fine for her to use her public platform to say something that maybe a few people in Australia wanted the media to say.

People need to give it a rest, and accept that everyone is allowed to have an opinion, within the confines of the law. Some of the comments towards Sonia have been disgusting. Sexist, misogynistic, and cruel. It kind of contradicts their whole "you shouldn't say mean things" spiel.

One thing that really shits me, is people who have been spouting out vitriol towards Sonia Kruger and her comments regarding the ban of Muslim immigration.

Now I'm not going to comment either way, because I'm not trying to have a say myself. But what shits me, is that a person can't share their thoughts, in a country that supposedly has free speech. What she said wasn't hate speech, it wasn't based on race, and it wasn't based on an unfounded bias against Islam. It was an opinion, that largely centred on "if it happened in a liberal democratic country with a significant Muslim population such as France, then it can happen in a liberal democratic country with a significant Muslim population such as Australia". Islamic State has impacted this country, both at home and abroad, so why can't someone start the conversation about banning Muslim immigration? Matty Johns said the only worthwhile thing that ever come out of his mouth, explaining that this fuels the supposed dichotomy between Muslims and non-Muslims in this country, and will very possibly increase Islamic State's recruitment on Australian soil. He's actually got a point.

People are scared. People want to know what's going on. The uncertainty, the gallimaufry of information regarding Islamic State and global terrorism (which is barely reported correctly), and an ill-informed populace, means that we've got a nation on edge. However they sure as hell won't openly say anything about banning Muslim immigration. Not the moderates or the leftists anyway.

The media is heavily moderate or left. Some moderates might be conservative on the inside, but since their jobs rely on figures and ratings in an increasingly politically correct country such as Australia, the scope of what they can say in the media is very limited. Andrew Bolt aside, I think Sonia's opinion helps balance the conversation. And even if you don't agree with her, I think it showed courage to stand up for what she believes in and that it was completely fine for her to use her public platform to say something that maybe a few people in Australia wanted the media to say.

People need to give it a rest, and accept that everyone is allowed to have an opinion, within the confines of the law. Some of the comments towards Sonia have been disgusting. Sexist, misogynistic, and cruel. It kind of contradicts their whole "you shouldn't say mean things" spiel.

thing that is missed in this saga is that she was simply commenting on and agreeing with bolts piece. its not really sonia sonia sonia. she's just the puppet in this case.

using free speech as a reason has lost all meaning. the right say you cant call me racist/sexist/abcd-ist because its free speech! but the right are able to call muslims terrorists, say they rape goats etc.

a trump supporter on weekend breakfast tv espoused freedom of the speech when interviewed, and that people shouldn't get upset when called names (sticks and stones etc). then the host called him a nutjob which caused anger in trumpite. srs.

thing that is missed in this saga is that she was simply commenting on and agreeing with bolts piece. its not really sonia sonia sonia. she's just the puppet in this case.

using free speech as a reason has lost all meaning. the right say you cant call me racist/sexist/abcd-ist because its free speech! but the right are able to call muslims terrorists, say they rape goats etc.

a trump supporter on weekend breakfast tv espoused freedom of the speech when interviewed, and that people shouldn't get upset when called names (sticks and stones etc). then the host called him a nutjob which caused anger in trumpite. srs.

If Sonia said all Muslims are terrorists and that they rape goats, then this would be a different conversation. Also, she said that Bolt's article had some merit. Her opinion was her opinion, tautology aside.

Free speech as an excuse has gotten out of hand, but in this case, it has merit. Sonia was exercising an opinion which wasn't filled with hate, or racism, or an unfounded bias against Muslims. She was making a point. A point that if it can happen there, then it can happen here. We've already seen it happen here. She had the courage to speak up about it. There's nothing wrong with that. And the swathe of pompous, self-righteous f*ckwits who have the nerve to sit behind a god damned computer and hurl sexist abuse on a comments section of an online news article are nothing but pathetic pieces of shit.

Oh, and cyberbullying is against the law. People have used the free speech argument of "she had her say, now we can have ours" to defend their f*cked up opinions about her appearance, her gender, and the colour of her skin.

If Sonia said all Muslims are terrorists and that they rape goats, then this would be a different conversation. Also, she said that Bolt's article had some merit. Her opinion was her opinion, tautology aside.

Free speech as an excuse has gotten out of hand, but in this case, it has merit. Sonia was exercising an opinion which wasn't filled with hate, or racism, or an unfounded bias against Muslims. She was making a point. A point that if it can happen there, then it can happen here. We've already seen it happen here. She had the courage to speak up about it. There's nothing wrong with that. And the swathe of pompous, self-righteous f*ckwits who have the nerve to sit behind a god damned computer and hurl sexist abuse on a comments section of an online news article are nothing but pathetic pieces of shit.

Oh, and cyberbullying is against the law. People have used the free speech argument of "she had her say, now we can have ours" to defend their f*cked up opinions about her appearance, her gender, and the colour of her skin.

its vexing and interesting at the same time that those who engage in such activity (sexist remarks) also display actions such as wolf whistling, disparaging comments about female appearance, read the herald sun religiously, hate do gooders and believe governments to allow people to do as they please. so on one hand they are in fact fighting against someone (kruger) who is on their side

Fat bloke at work, keeps making fat jokes about me. Makes zero sense because I used to be fat, and am now a lot fitter than him after dropping 40kgs. Gets laughs for it too. Absolutely shits me.

Fat bloke at work, keeps making fat jokes about me. Makes zero sense because I used to be fat, and am now a lot fitter than him after dropping 40kgs. Gets laughs for it too. Absolutely shits me.

you could turn tables and abuse him for being fat.

This. Bully him into submission
We are in a heavily PC office environment. I'm pretty good with words, but tend to be able to cut to the core pretty quickly when I want to cut someone down. I feel the bosses laugh at his because "lolz banter" whereas mine would most likely get pulled up for "bullying".

She's tarred a million odd people with the same brush, and now she's the victim? That she then justifies her opinion by saying "As a mother...", as if the ability to pay a fortune to have a baby somehow makes her opinion valid.

We are in a heavily PC office environment. I'm pretty good with words, but tend to be able to cut to the core pretty quickly when I want to cut someone down. I feel the bosses laugh at his because "lolz banter" whereas mine would most likely get pulled up for "bullying".
If he can dish it out then he has to take it too. Not sure how giving you shit is okay but him copping it isn't. Fair game i reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She's tarred a million odd people with the same brush, and now she's the victim? That she then justifies her opinion by saying "As a mother...", as if the ability to pay a fortune to have a baby somehow makes her opinion valid.

she didn't mention fathers, or state that fathers can also be affected too. steve price is rolling in his grave

The media is heavily moderate or left.
Say what now? Rupert Murdoch owns the highest selling newspapers in Australia, US and the UK (and many others in the top 5-10 in those countries), and plenty of the leading non-Murdoch owned papers in those countries lean to the conservative side. At home you'd hardly call the two most popular TV networks (9 & 10) left leaning, particularly their morning show segments.

Last edited:

Reminds me of one day at work last year. Was pissing down rain and I wanted a smoke, but it's a 20 or so metre walk from the exit to the undercover smoking area. As I opened the door to step out into the rain, a fat guy pipes up with "days like these, it must suck to be a smoker!". I'm usually very careful with my words at work, but I'd had a shitty day (hence the urge for a smoke) and I just blurted out "yeah, but it must suck every day being a fat campaigner".

Was a satisfying dart, I must say.

Say what now? Rupert Murdoch owns the highest selling newspapers in Australia, US and the UK (and many others in the top 5-10 in those countries). At home you'd hardly call the two most popular TV networks (9 & 10) left leaning, particularly their morning show segments.
The Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun and Courier Mail are overwhelmingly right winged.

It's laughable that there are people whining about all media having a left winged bias because some views don't align with their Miranda Devine thoughts on the world.

While I don't agree with what she said, I also don't feel the need to denigrate her and can never understand the need for people to spew vitriol. It's okay to disagree with her without resorting to being disgusting.

I also understand how such comments from an "identity" :)rolleyes:) could cause hurt within the Muslim community but I'm also sure that Muslims are aware that Sonia doesn't speak for everyone - we just have to keep reminding minority groups of that when situations like that occur

Say what now? Rupert Murdoch owns the highest selling newspapers in Australia, US and the UK (and many others in the top 5-10 in those countries). At home you'd hardly call the two most popular TV networks (9 & 10) left leaning, particularly their morning show segments.

Yeah, Rupert Murdoch's newspapers are ever-so-slightly right of centre, with some right-leaning pieces and some left-leaning. The Advertiser is hardly centre-right; if anything it's slightly left. Fairfax is more socially liberal obviously. Today has frequently attacked Liberal politicians, notably Tony Abbott, Malcolm Turnbull and Joe Hockey. Sunrise does the same. They're easier on Labor politicians like Plibersek and Albanese. Harsher on Shorten, because he's an illiterate f*ckwit. Does Ten have a morning show? The Project is left-leaning. Q and A is inherently leftist. Sky News is economically conservative, but socially liberal. As is Bloomberg and Sky News Business. Let's place them as centrists.

Come on mate. The only really outspoken right-wing media personality is Andrew Bolt, and everyone thinks he's a w*nker. The Australian media is mostly centrist. Most moderates have some conservative views, but sit on the fence because they don't want to lose popularity. They're ratings whores. A finite number are real conservatives, and they don't get a hell of a lot of air time. A few pieces in the DT, the NT News and the Courier Mail, but that's about it. Maybe Rockhampton's The Morning Bulletin and the Townsville Bulletin are right-wing, but who gives a f*ck?

Seriously, the Australian media is shit scared of saying anything that will lose readership and viewership. Which is why Sonia has kind of been hung out to dry by her colleagues and peers. Network executives don't want the hassle, and presenters want to be seen as popular, so they distance themselves from controversial discourse.

It's not an opinion. It's an observation.
Well it's a wrong observation.

Murdoch's rags slated Labor when they were in charge (for good reason at times it must be said, but often just because they could). They basically cheerleaded Tony Abbott into office - the most conservative PM we've had since I was born. They've thrown everything at the more centrist Malcolm Turnbull.

Andrew Bolt is not their only right wing columnist. They have (or had in the past) Piers Ackerman, Miranda Devine (who's more conservative than Bolt) and Tim Blair. The latter only yesterday wrote a scathing article on Kevin Rudd. These are probably their four main columnists.

This was their front page the day of the election before last

Only ever-so-slightly right of centre ??

mnj3rnnf-1375837269.jpg

It's not an opinion. It's an observation.
It's a little more subtle than just Bolt, or Rita Pahini. You would have noticed this morning the Addy was kicking up about all the money uni staff were making thanks to the removal of caps by the Gillard government. When have they ever complained about CEO wages in the past, and bearing in mind what the government wants to do with higher education sector, the timing was not coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back