Society & Culture Things that Shit me part X- The Tenth edition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canned tuna or boiled chicken breast is pretty bloody cheap, easy to prepare and a lot more nutritious. Plus it's not like you don't have to make yourself dinner just because you're drinking protein powder.

You have to be a massive guy working out like crazy in order to get to the point where you actually need protein supplements.

But, fads gunna fad.
Where do you get your information from?

Canned tuna or boiled chicken breast is pretty bloody cheap, easy to prepare and a lot more nutritious. Plus it's not like you don't have to make yourself dinner just because you're drinking protein powder.

You have to be a massive guy working out like crazy in order to get to the point where you actually need protein supplements.

But, fads gunna fad.
You really need a certain amount of protein in your diet. Hard to know how much of an effect it actually has but to say it is a fad is incoreect

The preparation for Chicken and fish would take too long, and it would be too expensive.

Plus if I have to have chicken and fish, I have to go to the gym when I know I can be hungry afterwards.

Protein powder is cheap, simple and doesn't fill you up so much it's a meal.

As for that muscle mass stuff, never heard of it.

Protein powder is cheap simple and crap. At least the affordable cheap versions which are half whey and half soy. If you're going to use supplements, then you should go for whey protein isolate, which is the purest form and quite expensive. But as Caesar mentioned, you need to be pretty big to actually need protein supplements [maybe you are]
Not all proteins are the same anyway. The best proteins are the natural ones and pound for pound chicken, turkey, tuna and salmon are at the top of the list. Humble cottage cheese is jam packed with protein and is cheap as are all legumes. Hell, have a Milo with full cream milk and you won't be far off the protein shake in regards to the protein content.

You really need a certain amount of protein in your diet. Hard to know how much of an effect it actually has but to say it is a fad is incoreect

The recommended daily intake of protein for most people is probably 50-60g. You can get that much with a healthy diet easily.

Obviously if you are bigger and building muscle you will need more than average, but there are very few people that actually need hundreds and hundreds of grams a day of protein.

LMAO, are you on that dirty bulk brah?

Since this conversation started I actually had a think about that and realise I don't eat the amount of grams I thought I did.
Yoghurt for breakfast or an egg
And then about 100-110g for lunch and dinner
So all up about 250g each day - I just eat a balanced diet with very very few processed foods or carbs and do the regulation 30 minute walk each day.
Im about 5"10 and sit about 75-78kg so I'm no bulked up Amazon.

The preparation for Chicken and fish would take too long, and it would be too expensive.

You can get chicken breast in the deli at the supermarket (not in packets from the meat section, where it's like double the price) for like $8/kg. Get 2kgs of that, a bag of rice, big bunch of spinach, some pepper and a bit of mustard, and that's dinner for two weeks. Chop up the chicken and cook it in a pan, add pepper or mustard for flavour, stick the rice and the spinach in a rice cooker, and you've got dinner sorted in ten minutes.

Eggs or plain oatmeal for breakfast, avocado or a salad for lunch.

Easy, healthy, cheap, and dairy and sugar-free (the last two being handy if you're trying to shed the kilos).

Since this conversation started I actually had a think about that and realise I don't eat the amount of grams I thought I did.
So all up about 250g each day - I just eat a balanced diet with very very few processed foods or carbs and do the regulation 30 minute walk each day.

That sounds like a hell of a lot of protein for your height/weight and level of exercise. Did you make a conscious decision to eat more protein?

That sounds like a hell of a lot of protein for your height/weight and level of exercise. Did you make a conscious decision to eat more protein?

I've never thought of it as a lot tbh. It certainly doesn't look that much when it's sitting on a plate and I'm sure that if people where to actually think about what they are eating quite a few would be up around that mark. I try to have protein at each meal so that I don't get hungry and indulge in anything that's not good for me - it's great for keeping hunger at bay and I've never given any thought to the fact that it may not be good for me because I feel so great

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i see people drinking protein shakes during workout at the gymnasium i frequent. they are not ripped.

is it like obese persons drinking diet coke cause they believe its healthier?

i myself dont use protein suppliments. i always reason that nutrients can be gained from fresh fruit/food that have many other qualities.

Protein powder is more about recovery for me than "bulking" up. Puresport do a wicked sports based recovery protein, expensive but man it works a treat.

People who don't let you out in traffic, I wish a firey car crash related death on them.

When you say 100g or protein are you saying thats 100g of chicken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back