Society & Culture Things you do/did that you probably think no one else does the sequel; More Things

Remove this Banner Ad

take your self flagellation elsewhere, the adults are talking
So you're saying governments don't suspend the racial discrimination Act to enact legislation it would block?

Can think of a few pretty big examples in my lifetime including Queensland last year

Are you saying we don't have massive issues with how Indigenous people are treated here by the government?

We don't have problems with incarceration rates, suicide, child removal, poverty, life expectancy etc?

I think another thing to consider is that Chinas version of "racism" at least when i went there was weird looks and some shunning of service. Opposed to here where we have alot of violence towards non whites.

Not necessarily a defense cause im sure living in that setting would get very very difficult mentally but one has alot more immediate an impact.

To be clear it was just an observation, I was a guest in their country and I guess that's how "they" are, generally. It was just a bit more stark given how white people are treated like king dick in pretty much every other Asian country I've been to.

I do recall trying to speak some mandarin over there and got laughed at a few times, just hello and thank you. Any other Asian country I've been to where I do that they absolutely love it, even with the shitty pronounciation.

Again not whinging, it's just different there.

To be clear it was just an observation, I was a guest in their country and I guess that's how "they" are, generally. It was just a bit more stark given how white people are treated like king dick in pretty much every other Asian country I've been to.

I do recall trying to speak some mandarin over there and got laughed at a few times, just hello and thank you. Any other Asian country I've been to where I do that they absolutely love it, even with the shitty pronounciation.

Again not whinging, it's just different there.
Yeh i got what you meant. Im certainly not commenting on the systemic nefarious stuff (im not well informed enough).

All countries have racism but Australia is better than most

Korea and Japan are many, many times more racist than Australia, neither has any laws against racial discrimination

they are also pretty toxic societies for ethnically native citizens, both have terrible suicide rates for people under 40

Definitely not places I would like to emulate

Yeah, I've heard some pretty rotten stories about how half Japanese/white people get treated in Japan - even if you're Japanese born and raised.

I watch art house movies at home with my cat Milan who is a 4 year old ginger male oriental.

He gets bored quickly if it is a foreign film with subtitles or if there is sign language involved.

Thus, I believe cats are not multi-lingual and do not understand sign language.

He enjoys English language films exclusively. His favourite director is David Cronenberg.
So he has nothing against Canadians which is good.

If I am still alive when my cat passes away and I get another one I will try to give that
cat a 50% diet of English films and 50% French films from when he is a kitten to see
if it possible for a cat to understand two languages. I guess it will mean also that I
speak French at home more often.

Does anyone else on here do this ?

I've been driving to my local shops for 25 years or so, and sometimes I wonder how many times I've parked in each car spot.

Obviously there are the "good" spots, such as the one outside the bakery and the ones across from the supermarket. If it's busy I end up at the servo just around the corner from the main drag, sometimes I might park in the gravel carpark behind the newsagents for something different.

Clearly where I park can be dictated by time of day and how busy the street is, maybe the data could be cross referenced with time of day, could end up being able to predict where I park based on the time of day i go to said shops.

I don't think this data is available however, and even if I had it I'm not sure how helpful it would be to me. This is an example of what goes through my head as I make my commute to work at 6:30am.

I've been driving to my local shops for 25 years or so, and sometimes I wonder how many times I've parked in each car spot.

Obviously there are the "good" spots, such as the one outside the bakery and the ones across from the supermarket. If it's busy I end up at the servo just around the corner from the main drag, sometimes I might park in the gravel carpark behind the newsagents for something different.

Clearly where I park can be dictated by time of day and how busy the street is, maybe the data could be cross referenced with time of day, could end up being able to predict where I park based on the time of day i go to said shops.

I don't think this data is available however, and even if I had it I'm not sure how helpful it would be to me. This is an example of what goes through my head as I make my commute to work at 6:30am.
Some places where you pay to park on the street have sensors in the road so when you park there they (the council and ultimately the cops) can track it. So yeah nah yeah ...... it's not too far away from happening to you.

I watch art house movies at home with my cat Milan who is a 4 year old ginger male oriental.

He gets bored quickly if it is a foreign film with subtitles or if there is sign language involved.

Thus, I believe cats are not multi-lingual and do not understand sign language.

He enjoys English language films exclusively. His favourite director is David Cronenberg.
So he has nothing against Canadians which is good.

If I am still alive when my cat passes away and I get another one I will try to give that
cat a 50% diet of English films and 50% French films from when he is a kitten to see
if it possible for a cat to understand two languages. I guess it will mean also that I
speak French at home more often.

Does anyone else on here do this ?
Nope

Some places where you pay to park on the street have sensors in the road so when you park there they (the council and ultimately the cops) can track it. So yeah nah yeah ...... it's not too far away from happening to you.

That's true enough, I guess we'll only have modern data though, I'm sure my parking tendencies haven't changed a lot over the years.

I do wonder if there's a space in the street I haven't parked in though, that would be good to know.

That's true enough, I guess we'll only have modern data though, I'm sure my parking tendencies haven't changed a lot over the years.

I do wonder if there's a space in the street I haven't parked in though, that would be good to know.
Do you also chart out your dog walking paths to never walk the same way twice?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d park in all of them on a quiet Sunday to confirm the street has been conquered

Do you also chart out your dog walking paths to never walk the same way twice?

Years ago (our current pair WAY too lazy for walks, not to mention me!) I walked the same route religiously with my girl every morning. I'm very glad I did.

She was a rescue collie/kelpie cross who we discovered had suffered serious abuse as a pup (she was 18m, not 3m as we were told by the shelter and our local vet knew of a long history of trauma). As we found out later she had a number of developmental/memory issues to go along with behavioural tics, medical issues, etc.

Our backyard was pretty secure, but the letterbox was through our front fence and for some reason every so often the postie would open the gate and put stuff in the box directly rather than feeding through the slit. It seemed EVERY time they did, they would close (but not latch) the gate. Our other dog (laziest border collie in history) would happily work the gate open, then sit sunning himself on the front porch, while my girl disappeared.

The first time she went, I grabbed her lead and collar, some food and went searching - starting near the main road. After an hour of fruitless searching I came back home, only to find them both happily playing in the front yard (with gate still open).

This happened a number more times (bad owner!), before one day I was driving home and saw her trotting along the footpath. Stuck in traffic, I watched her walk up to the traffic lights and sit until she got the walk signal (beeps) to cross over onto our street. I followed her from a distance, and she walked up the road to the driveway opposite ours, sat for a moment then ran across the road into our driveway.

The next time she got out, I was home. I didn't call out to her or chase I just started walking our regular route, about 50m behind her as she followed it perfectly. I never took the chance to let her go on her own, but at least if she did get out I knew where she was going. Even once her eyesight went (she lost hearing early) and she'd stumble into things in the backyard, she KNEW our walk.

One day we came across roadworks on our walk, and I had to cross the street to go a different way. She resisted and fought the lead - refusing to go anywhere but our normal path. After a long (and embarrassing) discussion, she finally let me lead her in a different direction.

Years ago (our current pair WAY too lazy for walks, not to mention me!) I walked the same route religiously with my girl every morning. I'm very glad I did.

She was a rescue collie/kelpie cross who we discovered had suffered serious abuse as a pup (she was 18m, not 3m as we were told by the shelter and our local vet knew of a long history of trauma). As we found out later she had a number of developmental/memory issues to go along with behavioural tics, medical issues, etc.

Our backyard was pretty secure, but the letterbox was through our front fence and for some reason every so often the postie would open the gate and put stuff in the box directly rather than feeding through the slit. It seemed EVERY time they did, they would close (but not latch) the gate. Our other dog (laziest border collie in history) would happily work the gate open, then sit sunning himself on the front porch, while my girl disappeared.

The first time she went, I grabbed her lead and collar, some food and went searching - starting near the main road. After an hour of fruitless searching I came back home, only to find them both happily playing in the front yard (with gate still open).

This happened a number more times (bad owner!), before one day I was driving home and saw her trotting along the footpath. Stuck in traffic, I watched her walk up to the traffic lights and sit until she got the walk signal (beeps) to cross over onto our street. I followed her from a distance, and she walked up the road to the driveway opposite ours, sat for a moment then ran across the road into our driveway.

The next time she got out, I was home. I didn't call out to her or chase I just started walking our regular route, about 50m behind her as she followed it perfectly. I never took the chance to let her go on her own, but at least if she did get out I knew where she was going. Even once her eyesight went (she lost hearing early) and she'd stumble into things in the backyard, she KNEW our walk.

One day we came across roadworks on our walk, and I had to cross the street to go a different way. She resisted and fought the lead - refusing to go anywhere but our normal path. After a long (and embarrassing) discussion, she finally let me lead her in a different direction.
This is about the most wholesome thing ive seen all day.

Thank you for sharing this.

This is bloody gorgeous :heart:
What a clever girl

I've been stalking a police officer who gave me a ticket earlier in the year (e.g. tracking him online, following which charities he supports, getting candid photos of him that he wouldn't think are public).

I've been stalking a police officer who gave me a ticket earlier in the year (e.g. tracking him online, following which charities he supports, getting candid photos of him that he wouldn't think are public).
I do that with Bigfooty moderators

I do that with Bigfooty moderators
Jason Momoa Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Remove this Banner Ad

Society & Culture Things you do/did that you probably think no one else does the sequel; More Things

Remove this Banner Ad

Back