This decades Greatest Player

Remove this Banner Ad

LasCar

Debutant
May 5, 2004
Carey ruled the 90's. Judd may yet win another four brownlow medals this decade. But for mine so far the player of the decade is Nathan Buckley. If you don't take premierships into account as they are a team achievement and base your stats purely on individual honours then Buckley is a clear leader.
If you don't agree then base your argument on fact.

Club B/F: 2 (2000)(2003)
Brownlow medals: 1 (2003)
NormSmith medals: 1(2002)
Goals:127
Games:121
Possesions:3040
Brownlow votes:77
Clearances:503
F50 entries:734
Tackles:386

I agree.

No-one can say Judd, as he's played about three seasons but mark this down - Judd WILL be the best player this decade. Buckley currently IS the best player of the decade.

I think you posted this thread about four years early.

LasCar said:
Carey ruled the 90's. Judd may yet win another four brownlow medals this decade. But for mine so far the player of the decade is Nathan Buckley. If you don't take premierships into account as they are a team achievement and base your stats purely on individual honours then Buckley is a clear leader.
Is this thread about the best player of the last 10 years, or the best player of the last 5 years?

Who cares about Brownlow Medals?

They have zero impact when assessing how good a player is.

Winning a Brownlow doesn't actually mean a player was the best player that year. It just means he was in the mix and got lucky.

WeSt CoAsT EaGLeS said:
I agree.

No-one can say Judd

Judd.:thumbsu:

Anyway, do you mean so far this millenium, or from 1996-2006?

From 96-06 it's definately Hird for me. You can put all the stats you want on paper, Hird is and was absolute magic, and the reason he doesn't have the stats is because of his injuries. Buckley is one of the greatest players of recent times, but Hird is something else.

I don't support the Dons, Pies or WCE.

What about this bloke. I'd give to to him, hard to top a bloke who's captained 3 premiership sides, won the B&F in 2 of those years (second in the other).

CLUB AWARDS & HONOURS:
Winner Bears/Lions B&F 1995-96-00-01-03, 2nd 2002, 4th 2004
Lions Co-Captain 1997-98-99-00, Sole Captain 2001-02-03-04-05
Premiership Player 2001-02-03 (Captain), Lions Best Finals Player 2002.

AFL AWARDS: Brownlow Medal 1996, 9th 1995, 3rd 2001, E3rd 2002, All-Australian 1996-99-01-02-03, (Vice-Captain 2001, Captain 2002, 2003), AFLPA MVP Runner-Up 2001, Winner 2002, 2003, AFLPA Best Captain 2000-02, Most Courageous Player 2001.

REPRESENTATIVE HONOURS: Queensland State of Origin 1992, Qld/NT State of Origin 1993, Allies State of Origin 1996, Queensland Team of the Century captain 2003.

MEDIA AWARDS: ABC Player of the Year 1996, Sunday Age/3AW Player of the Year 1996, Age Player of the Year 2001-02, ABC Player of the Year 2001, 3AW Player of the Year 2001, Channel 9 Player of the Year 2001, Australian Football Media Association Player of the Year 2001.

Michael Voss.

WeSt CoAsT EaGLeS said:
Ok I might be an Eagles supporter, but where exactly has Judd been from 2002-2003? How come he's been taken at Pick #3 in the 2002 National Draft?
What sort of question is that? Are players who didn't play in 2001 excluded?

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Is this thread about the best player of the last 10 years, or the best player of the last 5 years?

Who cares about Brownlow Medals?

They have zero impact when assessing how good a player is.

Winning a Brownlow doesn't actually mean a player was the best player that year. It just means he was in the mix and got lucky.

Well if you can give a better way to asses how good a player is in any given year then bring it forward. But the Brownlow is the best we have at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roo has to be up there. Off the top of my head..Brownlow medal, two best and fairests, All Australian every year this decade bar one, captain of the AA team twice, pre-season premiership, Players Assoc. best Captain last year.

LasCar said:
By this decade I mean 2000 to now so Voss may have been good Buckley has it over him

Funny how this is so important for Collingwood supporters. There was another (recent) thread on this you know. Maybe it's a symptom of a lack of team success, that you need to try to 'win' something.

You are entitled to your opinion, but may I remind you that Buckley missed most of last year. And by the way the first year of this decade was 2001.

You probably would have to go with someone who has played all years, so I'll say Cousins. But there are plenty that are close.

This is how I see it. Carey dominated more seasons than anyone else in the 90's. He was the backbone of his team. If he fired the team won. He is considered to be the most skillfull player to have played during that ten year period.

What I am saying is, is that we are six years into the 2000's. If you had to name a player that has been the most prolific, who would it be? Premierships aside. If you take premierships into account then everyone is going to say Voss but he has not won a single individual honour in that time frame.

LasCar said:

Club B/F: 2 (2000)(2003)
Brownlow medals: 1 (2003)
NormSmith medals: 1(2002)
Goals:127
Games:121
Possesions:3040
Brownlow votes:77
Clearances:503
F50 entries:734
Tackles:386
How do the same stats for Voss, Riccuito, Hird and Judd for that period compare?

No one has bothered to post them. I conced that Roo has had a very good decade thus far a may be able to add a few trophies to the cbinet by the end of the year.

LasCar said:
No one has bothered to post them. I conced that Roo has had a very good decade thus far a may be able to add a few trophies to the cbinet by the end of the year.
I just wasn't quite sure how you came to the conclusion that Buckley was the best based on the stats when you haven't looked at the stats of the others?

Voss and Hird have not won a brownlow nor a a normsmith. Voss has been an All-Australian more time than Buckley in the last 6 years. But he has not won as many individual honours. Neither has Hird. Roo comes close, but he has not been the dominant force that buckley has been. Have a look at the weight of possesions.

LasCar said:
Have a look at the weight of possesions.

You don't honestly think that possessions are the measure of a player in the modern game, do you?

Grimreepah said:
You don't honestly think that possessions are the measure of a player in the modern game, do you?
No i don't but some one has to touch the ball for a team to win. Nowhere have I discounted that the Lions teams of 2000-2004 efforts to play in four grand finals. But this discussion would be quite boring if you took premierships into account the Lions players would have it hands down over every other player in the league.

Ben Cousins anyone?

Since the start of 2000 he has played 133 games of which 109 have been as captain. In that time he averages 25 disposals a game and 14.6 kicks per game. He also averages a goal a game and 4 clearances a game in that time.

Player honous since 2000

Club Captain- 2001 (co)-2005
Brownlow Medalist-2005
Runner up Brownlow-2003 (by 1 vote)
AllAustralian-2000, 2001,2002,2005
All Australian Vice Captain- 2005
Best and Fairest- 2001,2002,2003,2005

ashy_magpies said:
Well if you can give a better way to asses how good a player is in any given year then bring it forward. But the Brownlow is the best we have at the moment.
A better way to assess a player's quality is to actually watch the games and then make judgements, rather than relying simply on awards.

The Brownlow is flawed. That's obvious.

Too many ordinary players have won. Too many greats have gone unrewarded.

Yet people still talk about it as though it actually means something.

LasCar said:
Voss and Hird have not won a brownlow nor a a normsmith. Voss has been an All-Australian more time than Buckley in the last 6 years.
Who cares?

Your insistence on evaluating players purely on who has been more decorated is incredibly simplistic. Besides, didn't Hird win the Norm Smith in 2000?

It's the kind of tactic employed by a little kid who hasn't watched much footy.

Wayne Carey never won a Brownlow. Robert Harvey won 2. Who was the best player of the 1990s?

Remove this Banner Ad

This decades Greatest Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back