This decades Greatest Player

Remove this Banner Ad

LasCar said:
What I am saying is, is that we are six years into the 2000's. If you had to name a player that has been the most prolific, who would it be? Premierships aside. If you take premierships into account then everyone is going to say Voss but he has not won a single individual honour in that time frame.
I understand your question, and I simply don't think there has a been a stand-out.

I think Voss, Hird, Ricciuto, Buckley, West and Cousins have all been excellent. You could even throw Warren Tredrea into that list.

I know you've specified that premierships shouldn't be taken into account. But Michael Voss was the most important player in the greatest side of the modern era. That has to count for something. The reality is that team success does have a bearing on a player's legacy.

If I had to nominate one player, it would be Voss.

LasCar said:
Voss and Hird have not won a brownlow nor a a normsmith. Voss has been an All-Australian more time than Buckley in the last 6 years. But he has not won as many individual honours. Neither has Hird. Roo comes close, but he has not been the dominant force that buckley has been. Have a look at the weight of possesions.

Both Voss and Hird have won brownlows!

for some reason i think LasCar just wanted everyone to agree with him on this thread rather than putting forward their own opinions.

for me i would have to say voss

If it's 2000-2006, then only three players are in the conversation... Voss, Ricciuto and Buckley. Tredrea, Cousins, Judd and Simon Black probably on the next rung.

LasCar said:
Carey ruled the 90's. Judd may yet win another four brownlow medals this decade. But for mine so far the player of the decade is Nathan Buckley. If you don't take premierships into account as they are a team achievement and base your stats purely on individual honours then Buckley is a clear leader.
If you don't agree then base your argument on fact.

Club B/F: 2 (2000)(2003)
Brownlow medals: 1 (2003)
NormSmith medals: 1(2002)
Goals:127
Games:121
Possesions:3040
Brownlow votes:77
Clearances:503
F50 entries:734
Tackles:386
stats are irrelevant if u r not comparing them to anything/one.

Zeke thread.

I'd rather win a Norm Smith then a Brownlow, because it's 95% likely I would have just won the premiership as well.

2000-6 It has been Ricciuto, no question.

WCEforeverman said:
for some reason i think LasCar just wanted everyone to agree with him on this thread rather than putting forward their own opinions.

for me i would have to say voss

Read my posts I think that rucciuto has just as much claim to the throne

konstas_87 said:

Zeke thread.

My opnion is that Buckley has the best case so far. If you want to put a lions player forward then you go to the trouble of finding the stats. this forum was meant for discussion. Not just simply rebuking my claim.

LasCar said:
What I am saying is, is that we are six years into the 2000's. If you had to name a player that has been the most prolific, who would it be? Premierships aside. If you take premierships into account then everyone is going to say Voss but he has not won a single individual honour in that time frame.

So winning the B&F 2 out of three premiership years doesn't count as an individual honour? Look at the blokes Voss had to beat and compare them to the blokes Buckley beat in winning his B&Fs.

I dont barrack for either team, both are or have been champion players. Logic dictates that the better player is the one who excelled in the better team. If Buckley had been smart and stayed in QLD he'd have 3 premierships and probably my vote in the argument.

simon black
norm smith medalist, brownlow medalist, club b&f's and some big silver cups

i love how biased people are to players at their own club and its funny how noone has suggested a guy like scott west. i havent got stats but hes won 7 club b&f's and come close to brownlows a few times. i think for consistency and that fact hes averaged something ridiculous like 25 possies for his career he deserves a mention

LasCar said:
Carey ruled the 90's. Judd may yet win another four brownlow medals this decade. But for mine so far the player of the decade is Nathan Buckley. If you don't take premierships into account as they are a team achievement and base your stats purely on individual honours then Buckley is a clear leader.
If you don't agree then base your argument on fact.

Club B/F: 2 (2000)(2003)
Brownlow medals: 1 (2003)
NormSmith medals: 1(2002)
Goals:127
Games:121
Possesions:3040
Brownlow votes:77
Clearances:503
F50 entries:734
Tackles:386

Carey ruled the 90's with G.Ablett...no way does Carey get it on his own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

konstas_87 said:

Zeke thread.

carey doesn't win the 90's hands down (only in some peoples opinions)

i think you are forgetting worthy players like g.ablett, lockett, dunstall, harvey, james hird etc.

LasCar said:
Voss and Hird have not won a brownlow nor a a normsmith. Voss has been an All-Australian more time than Buckley in the last 6 years. But he has not won as many individual honours. .
Many people judged Voss to be BOG in the game Buckley got the Norm Smith in. Both were in contention for the award. I don't think the fact the panel voted for Buckley elevates him ahead of Voss as player of the decade. And someone like West hasn't had an opportunity to win a Norm Smith medal.

unirossa26 said:
simon black
norm smith medalist, brownlow medalist, club b&f's and some big silver cups

i love how biased people are to players at their own club and its funny how noone has suggested a guy like scott west. i havent got stats but hes won 7 club b&f's and come close to brownlows a few times. i think for consistency and that fact hes averaged something ridiculous like 25 possies for his career he deserves a mention
Voss > Aker > Black

The Reaper said:
Ben Cousins anyone?

Since the start of 2000 he has played 133 games of which 109 have been as captain. In that time he averages 25 disposals a game and 14.6 kicks per game. He also averages a goal a game and 4 clearances a game in that time.

Player honous since 2000

Club Captain- 2001 (co)-2005
Brownlow Medalist-2005
Runner up Brownlow-2003 (by 1 vote)
AllAustralian-2000, 2001,2002,2005
All Australian Vice Captain- 2005
Best and Fairest- 2001,2002,2003,2005

that is pretty impressive. amidst controversy as well. he would definitely be top 3 but i will choose rucciouto

sdrawkcab said:
So winning the B&F 2 out of three premiership years doesn't count as an individual honour? Look at the blokes Voss had to beat and compare them to the blokes Buckley beat in winning his B&Fs.

I dont barrack for either team, both are or have been champion players. Logic dictates that the better player is the one who excelled in the better team. If Buckley had been smart and stayed in QLD he'd have 3 premierships and probably my vote in the argument.

I think you may have that wrong. Buckley has played in workman like sides for years, Sides which have never given been given a chance to reach the levels they achieved. He has always had roles where he could have the best impact for his side and maybe not favourable to his talent much like Rucciutto. Voss who is a great player has played along side some of the best talent in the country. His long kicking and goal powerfull straight running has always been eye catching but last saturday night he didn't turn the game around nor did he have any sort of impact. On the other hand with the precision passing of the up and coming stars such as Didak Bucks at 34 years of age was unstoppable (first as a midfielder then as a KF). Buckley has been consistantly good for years and can play any position on the field bar full back or ruck! It's understandable that we all vote for our own and that we are halfway through this decade. Just like Carey in the 90's Bucks is my vote for the 00's

LasCar said:
This is how I see it. Carey dominated more seasons than anyone else in the 90's. He was the backbone of his team. If he fired the team won. He is considered to be the most skillfull player to have played during that ten year period.

There isn't a person alive including Buckley who would not acknowledge Voss as the true deserving "moral" winner of the Norm Smith Medal, but for an idiotic voting idiosyncrasy.

Remove this Banner Ad

This decades Greatest Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back