Opinion THORP: The Good, The Bad and all the Unknowns in-between

Would you be happy to pick-up Thorp at #39 or #51

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome, only three days until I can stop getting splinters from sitting on the fence and start supporting him as a Blues player. Either that or breathe a sigh of relief if he stuffs up somewhere else or dream of what could have been if he makes a decent career with his second chance. I will be surprised if he is overlooked altogether.

Genuinely torn on this one.

A complete lack of communication surrounding Thorp in yet another thread.

I'm a bit bemused by calls that those providing information are being attacked by those with their head in the sand and so forth. It's a little like 'we gave you the info we heard and you chose to ignore it ... how dare you doubt us.'

As I have said numerous times, just because somebody reveals inside information, it doesn't mean everybody has to believe them. It doesn't mean everybody goes 'oh look, a long time poster said it, stop the discussion'. It shouldn't be about wounded egos here, it should be 'take it or leave it'. There is zero personal affront associated with a discussion continuing long after someone had declared it over by telling what they heard. I myself haven't heard it. I suspect it is back in this thread, or the draft thread or the trade thread or the rumour thread, but I'm not going to look for it and I suspect most aren't going to look for it.

Feel free to PM this inside information so I can add context but bear in mind that even if Mick, Sticks or Macca told me themselves, I'm not going to stop people from declaring they want Thorp or speculating on the personal growth they think he must have undergone. Unless they have heard it straight from the club, they are not duty bound to believe anything.

I put a warning in the early posts and people on both sides have resorted to having shots or posting generalisations about a group of supporters. Disappointing.

3 days to go before the inevitable pointscoring posts and subsequent moderation begins.

Can I refer you and others back to the thread title "Would you be happy............"

I would suggest the vast majority who provided "us" with such a landslide were directly answering the question. I, and many others (independently) offered Thorp up as a draft possibility, based on needs.
I remain happy if we were to draft him after due diligence. Many of us took great umbrage to the character assassination which ensued. This is why the issue became so "divisive". So many things need to fall in to place to get him, if by some chance our recruitment team is interested. I would love for him to get a chance, anywhere.
I will not be shattered if we do not draft him despite being one of the more vocal supporters of his "case". I do want to see significant improvement of our KPP stocks. I trust the anti group will recognise that a probable failure to draft him does not provide a tacit justification of their ongoing character assassination.

Don't appreciate being labelled a "sniper" for following what appears to be an edict from the club. The club has already stated it's important to recruit the right player for Carlton. Isn't hard to work out what we're looking for in players. We're within our rights to state who we want at Carlton. And to believe posters who aren't narcissists and trying to big note themselves.

McCarthy is a KPP who has the talent, but you have to question his intensity and how much he wants it. Only have McInnes and White who have outlasted Paddy after being picked with later picks. Mick seems to be a McInnes fan. That's the sort of character I want our players to have.

Don't appreciate being labelled a "sniper" for following what appears to be an edict from the club. The club has already stated it's important to recruit the right player for Carlton. Isn't hard to work out what we're looking for in players. We're within our rights to state who we want at Carlton. And to believe posters who aren't narcissists and trying to big note themselves.

McCarthy is a KPP who has the talent, but you have to question his intensity and how much he wants it. Only have McInnes and White who have outlasted Paddy after being picked with later picks. Mick seems to be a McInnes fan. That's the sort of character I want our players to have.

Yes, but you have questioned the character of a guy you know nothing about. You have done this on a forum where he can't defend himself. I am sure this is well within the rules of this forum, but it does make you a sniper. You were not following an edict from the club, you were following your own agenda.

Yes, but you have questioned the character of a guy you know nothing about. You have done this on a forum where he can't defend himself. I am sure this is well within the rules of this forum, but it does make you a sniper. You were not following an edict from the club, you were following your own agenda.
Who says he knows nothing about him? Knows a hell of a lot more than people suggesting Thorp has improved as a person.

That being the case you've just questioned the character of a guy you know nothing about by calling him a sniper.

The club saying they want players of good character does not equate to 'we don't want Thorp, he was and is a figjam of poor character.'

The club leaking that they don't want Thorp because he is still a figjam, are probably doing a risk assessment looking at the past and one or two accounts from people that still know him. Very much buyer beware. I highly doubt they have spoken to Thorp and he's acted like a dick on the phone to them.

I think the current day diagnosis of Thorp might be a little presumptuous and unfair on the guy based on the information at hand but concerns based on the past are valid. I also think there are some arguing on principle rather than any obsessive desire to get Thorp, because they are basically getting told they shouldn't be talking about him anymore because it ain't happening.

My initial reaction is that I didn't want Thorp but if he or another developed tall were available I think we need them for depth. I don't want to be pigeonholed into any pro or con category, but I will argue for posters' rights to discuss it until something official comes out.

I'd be surprised if anybody knows much about Thorp's character aside from a couple who have some possibly out of context impressions while watching Tassie football. I'd be amazed if Carlton know much more aside from hearsay from a couple of sources unless they have spoken to him directly.

Anyway, the thread is not giving us anything new. If there is a new article or word from the club, we can reopen this thread and post it. Let's not flood the draft thread with it though. That also includes those on both sides baiting each other to relaunch the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back