Opinion THORP: The Good, The Bad and all the Unknowns in-between

Would you be happy to pick-up Thorp at #39 or #51

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet one poster has posted information he is privy to from teammates of Thorp & got howled down for it. So it would seem those who are solidly in the Thorp camp don't want to hear information coming, albeit second hand, from those who do know him. Such information is irrelevant to them.

Exactly.

Theory

Sydney...." Thorp is a young coach of a premiership team. Demonstrates leadership, maturity and work ethic. Won the B & F by 16 votes as any good aspiring AFL player should in that type of competition. A former no.6, must have taly and now looks like he has matured. We have a role for him"

A few of the simple thinking, idiot Carlton supporters.." Thorp, no way, he failed at his last try, no worth ethic and and FIGJAM. Useless, don't want him".

Sydney win flags and we languish.
Sorry?
We don't know that until we see what eventuates. Sydney turns dickheads into non-dickheads

Doesn't make them dickheads, makes them smart. Tippett did pretty well from the looks of things
Why is Tippett a dickhead?

Salary cap thing was idiotic, but his form at Adelaide was possibly more the case of Tippett not being happy living in Adelaide.

Yet one poster has posted information he is privy to from teammates of Thorp & got howled down for it. So it would seem those who are solidly in the Thorp camp don't want to hear information coming, albeit second hand, from those who do know him. Such information is irrelevant to them.
Similar to Cazzesman just laughing at the stuff he reads on TC that is a misrepresentation of our recruiters and the facts.

Seems to me that almost no one in this discussion wants to hear good arguments coming from those with the opposite opinion. Which is a shame because there has been some god arguments

I'll take these posts with a grain of salt. The credibility of a big footy poster is no better than a media report, chinese whispers from a mate or a talkback caller on SEN.
I'd probably say a big footy poster has the least credibility out of the four.

Regardless of whether he has matured or not, the bloke obviously turned it on this year and is a ready made player. He could fill a hole that badly needs to be filled.
Four points and premiership cups are not awarded to teams with the best off field behaviour

Seems to me that almost no one in this discussion wants to hear good arguments coming from those with the opposite opinion. Which is a shame because there has been some god arguments
Actually I think there has been some reasonable debate in this thread, but negative comments made about Thorp have drawn hysterical reactions from a couple of posters, despite those posters demanding evidence of the negatives related to Thorp.

When you look at the "good arguments" put up for Thorp, it makes you wonder why there hasn't been a number of clubs chasing him. There are a number of clubs who, like us, are deficient in KP forward number, yet it would seem clubs are mostly steering clear of him. You have to wonder why.

Personally I wouldn't be getting too excited by Thorp's stats this season. They really aren't any better than what Fev has achieved in a competition of similar strength in Northern Victoria. I would also generally be wary of goalkicking feats in any lesser competition than the AFL. You only have to look at Aaron Edwards' achievements in the VFL prior to being recruited by North to give you an idea of how much such performances count for when making the step up to the AFL.

I'll take these posts with a grain of salt. The credibility of a big footy poster is no better than a media report, chinese whispers from a mate or a talkback caller on SEN.

Regardless of whether he has matured or not, the bloke obviously turned it on this year and is a ready made player. He could fill a hole that badly needs to be filled.
Four points and premiership cups are not awarded to teams with the best off field behaviour
There's a bloke been kicking a stack of goals for Yarrawonga, perhaps we should have a look at him. His off-field behaviour is a bit of a concern, but apparently this is not relevant.:rolleyes:

That's simply not the case in every situation.
There are some very clued up posters across these boards, but maybe they just don't wish to let everyone know about themselves

Like anything, you just have to know where to look. (Feel like I've said that before somehow.)

There's a bloke been kicking a stack of goals for Yarrawonga, perhaps we should have a look at him. His off-field behaviour is a bit of a concern, but apparently this is not relevant.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I reckon this purple cranberry to the left is totally useless in general debate. Worse, it adds a layer of sarcasm to everything preceding it and sarcasm is a huge accelerant in flame wars. Squash it into some bitter wine and be done with it.

:rolleyes: I reckon this purple cranberry to the left is totally useless in general debate. Worse, it adds a layer of sarcasm to everything preceding it and sarcasm is a huge accelerant in flame wars. Squash it into some bitter wine and be done with it.

:rolleyes: Says who? :rolleyes: ...................... :)

Fair point. Get rid of the purple people eater.

Well there's quite an age difference between Fev and Thorp for one..........

Maybe if we had Fev during the 2011 season we actually would have made the top 4 for the only time since 2000. Or made the finals in 2012.
Instead we have been one of the most poorly performed clubs since 2002, despite being given all the possible concessions to succeed (draft picks ect.).
But hey, at least we don't have to wake up to reports that one of our players got into an argument with a taxi driver at 3am. Go Blues!

When you look at the "good arguments" put up for Thorp, it makes you wonder why there hasn't been a number of clubs chasing him. There are a number of clubs who, like us, are deficient in KP forward number, yet it would seem clubs are mostly steering clear of him. You have to wonder why.

Clubs steering clear of him? Haha, I'm sorry, I didn't know that state league players have an avenue to an AFL list before the Draft.
Could he have been picked up as a restricted or unrestricted free-agent? Possibly as a delisted free-agent? Or maybe via a trade from South Launceston to an AFL club? - please let me know.
Yeah, I really do wonder why the AFL clubs have steered clear of him and haven't picked him up so far. It's a mystery.........:rolleyes:

We'll sure see how clubs steer clear of him come the Draft this Thursday....

Well there's quite an age difference between Fev and Thorp for one..........

Maybe if we had Fev during the 2011 season we actually would have made the top 4 for the only time since 2000. Or made the finals in 2012.
Instead we have been one of the most poorly performed clubs since 2002, despite being given all the possible concessions to succeed (draft picks ect.).
But hey, at least we don't have to wake up to reports that one of our players got into an argument with a taxi driver at 3am. Go Blues!

Clubs steering clear of him? Haha, I'm sorry, I didn't know that state league players have an avenue to an AFL list before the Draft.
Could he have been picked up as a restricted or unrestricted free-agent? Possibly as a delisted free-agent? Or maybe via a trade from South Launceston to an AFL club? - please let me know.
Yeah, I really do wonder why the AFL clubs have steered clear of him and haven't picked him up so far. It's a mystery.........:rolleyes:

We'll sure see how clubs steer clear of him come the Draft this Thursday....

errr, I believe fat Vlad an co. went out of their way to make sure we missed out on any quality draft picks for a few seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't hear anyone saying that off field behaviour is not relevant. Similarly, I don't hear anyone saying that Thorpe has serious ongoing behavioural issues. Some people have cautioned against some historical (and some more recent) claims of off field demeanour but clearly the club would be putting a lot more work into him than that if there is any interest at all. I think apart from very few people (who I suspect are children) most do not have a strong opinion on if we should get Thorpe or not since most just do not have the information required to make an assessment. I think this sounds about right because I feel pretty certain that getting Thorpe to Carlton is not going to lead to an Angwin or a Kernahan but something in between. He may provide some depth, he may even play some handy games. He probably wont't get to AA and he probably won't burn the joint down.

errr, I seem to recall fat Vlad an co. going out their way to make sure we missed out on any quality draft picks for a few seasons.

100% spot on - yep, all the way back in 2002 and 2003.....A decade ago.......

Look at what we were given since then during the 2004 - 2008 years.
So much time, so many draft picks and poached players and yet..........three "top 8" placing's (not including the one made by default this year), two finals wins (one via a default finals placing) and a highest placed finish of 5th! All over the last 12 seasons.

So much time, so many draft picks and poached players and yet..........three "top 8" placing's (not including the one made by default this year), two finals wins (one via a default finals placing) and a highest placed finish of 5th! All over the last 12 seasons.
Most of them were poached alright.

This is true and clearly a poor recent record but I think that anyone that thinks that having Thorpe would have turned those 3 finals appearances into 3 premierships is probably not being to genuine.

This is true and clearly a poor recent record but I think that anyone that thinks that having Thorpe would have turned those 3 finals appearances into 3 premierships is probably not being to genuine.

I don't think anyone is saying that.
I do however, think Thorp is worth a punt. Especially considering our key position stocks are so poor.

Posts like this, with eye roll and the condescension, are the reason why this topic has become heated.

Where is your evidence that he has off field problems? All you cite are whispers.

On the other, there is overwhelming evidence that he is a mature, ambitious, talented player with leadership qualities.

You dismiss that out of hand. Then you laugh at other posters for following the evidence? Ridiculous.

It would be hilarious if Thorp was drafted before Carlton even had the chance to pick him up - all this argument for nothing.

We should back the club to make their decision. If people on Bigfooty have heard talk regarding Thorp's personality, I'm sure Carlton wouldn't be acutely aware of it....

It would be hilarious if Thorp was drafted before Carlton even had the chance to pick him up - all this argument for nothing.

We should back the club to make their decision. If people on Bigfooty have heard talk regarding Thorp's personality, I'm sure Carlton wouldn't be acutely aware of it....
Not really. It would just ramp up into endless "I told you so" posts.

Who are these players that went through TSL to make AFL?

Here is a team somebody did a couple of years ago of players from Tasmania still going around in 2010
B: A. Joseph, N. Grima, M. Davies
HB: J. Webberley, C. Garland, G. Birchall
C: M. Robinson, J. Sherman, T. Collier
HF: B. Green, S. Wiggins, B. Moles
F: A. Cornelius, J. Riewoldt, T. Hislop
R: A. Graham, B. Rawlings, S. Lonergan
I: S. Taylor, T. Bellchambers, R. Harwood, J. Crichton
Others not included (hopefully I have them all covered): B. McCulloch, T. Allwright, J. Laycock, L. Jones, L. Russel (GC), M.Weller (GC)

And from above I noticed it must have been done before Jeremy Howe was drafted so add him to the list.

I've said many times I reckon he's worth a punt at 51.

Don't understand the hysteria around him (negative or positive).

If we don't get him I won't really care. if we do and he sucks, at pick 51 in a weak draft, I won't really care either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back