Opinion THORP: The Good, The Bad and all the Unknowns in-between

Would you be happy to pick-up Thorp at #39 or #51

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine played with Thorp for the last two years. Under him this year. My friends dad watched most matches in those two years. Listened in to every single coach's address pre, during and post match when he went. I attended several. They consider him a Congenital and irredeemable figjam. So do I, on the strength of what I saw and they told me.

I can't add anything like this, have never even laid eyes on the bloke.

However, I'm willing to trust the decision if it is made, and as I have stated a few times, MM was coaching before many of us were even alive….he knows what he's doing. He knows how to put a team together, on and off the field, and he knows what he's looking at when he's looking at a footballer.

To me, it is all about context; I know I am more confident with some colleagues than I am with others…maybe as their coach Thorp felt like he had to be an outspoken leader, but his way of being that person comes across as arrogant…and when he lands in an AFL environment (for the second time) he will act totally different because that need isn't there any more. Dunno…I'm just glad it's not my job to make the call.

If they say yes, then I say yes…would be fine with 39 but 51 would be better…of course.

Wyld Stallyns!!

I think we should have a crack at 51 but...... I don't the club will, the writing was on the wall for Thorp with the addition of Everitt. Not saying they could work well in tandem I just believe that this will be the case.

Leaders have to believe in themselves ...to lead. Anecdotes are just that - anecdotes. GWS have three young gun KPF and next year (apparently) the draft is choca block full of talented talls...so as in any late pick draft there will be pros and cons- I'll back Malthouse and his team.

Waite has 1-2 years left (IF he manages to stay on the ground) and Watson hasn't stepped up ( yet) to free Henderson who is a second tall not a #1 tall target. We are still short one key defender and a gun forward - till then everything is a work around. We are close but no Cohiba yet.

A friend of mine played with Thorp for the last two years. Under him this year. My friends dad watched most matches in those two years. Listened in to every single coach's address pre, during and post match when he went. I attended several. They consider him a Congenital and irredeemable figjam. So do I, on the strength of what I saw and they told me.
If one was to ask Laidler, Laidler's father, and Laidler's friend what Mick is like, the response may not be as favorable as what you would hear from Thomas.

The AFL would be full of figjams, our club to.

People talk of him as a risk to our playing group and culture - well if he can have such a negative affect on us, a professional club, I assume his current club must be in tatters? Or did the players win the premiership to spite their coach and captain...

If you want to put up, do away with the innuendo and give us one of these many examples of what Thorp has repeatedly done that screams stay away.

Late picks, rookie picks or PSD picks are for your Duigans, Curnows, Carrazzos, Jamisons, Sammy Jacobs, Cachias, etc. who have less talent, but good work ethic. These players didn't make it out of luck. They worked hard and achieved from their ability than the likes of Thorp and other busts.

I have to disagree. They are for speculators, top ups, sliders, and addressing needs. Most untried players taken late don't make it so clubs aren't afraid to pick up established players in this area.

Perhaps we signed the Irishman because we think they'll fit in with the club. They don't have to be ultra talented to hold down a spot with 18 clubs needing to fill lists.

More likely he has some attributes we like and the cost is small so the it is worth any risk.

Dogs have already ruled out Thorp. They're not playing Devil's advocate and saying "Maybe".

I'm playing devil's advocate in terms of addressing opinions that leave themselves open to debate.

Not interested in the Dogs decisions. They currently have more talls on their list than we do ... in fact everybody does.

It's not talent that's holding Thorp. The ex-Hawk isn't even a "second chance player". Didn't make it the first time due to his ego and personality. Even Hartlett, Austin and Bower lasted longer at Carlton. No one showed any interest in after the Hawks cut him. Lost cause after Hodge and Mitchell spoke to him as leaders..

Hawks had more time for Schoenmakers.

Thorp's effort in Tasmania isn't anything to write home about. That second division league isn't a patch on the VFL, SANFL and WAFL.
Agree totally. Rowe and Casboult would also dominate in this league and everyone would be singing their praises . Rowe's highlights in the SANFL proved this yet he will struggle to get a regular game .Thorpe may prove me wrong .Superstar he is not.

I think people are really overstating his attitude issues. My understanding is that he doesn't have a problem with the drink, drugs or gambling. He just has an ego - so what? Thorp will recognise that this is his last chance at the big time and fall into line with our culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hi just stopped by to say if he's still available at pick 45 in the rookie draft then maybe.

Still enough bottom-aged talent available at pick 51.

So that is not here say, rumour or innuendo. I have put up and now I will shut up.

So no, he can go to the Saints. He is made for that club.
Is that really so bad? How does one's figjam-ness affect the team.
Plenty of figjams have made brilliant careers, he may not be the nicest bloke to talk to or be around, but is that relevant ot the footy field?

Agree totally. Rowe and Casboult would also dominate in this league and everyone would be singing their praises . Rowe's highlights in the SANFL proved this yet he will struggle to get a regular game .Thorpe may prove me wrong .Superstar he is not.
Casboults kicking wouldn't be fixed by playing in a lower league ;) , at least Thorpe can kick it through the big ones.

What happened with Thorp (and the whole behind the scenes saga regarding his injury) was karma for Hawthorn after they shafted North Melbourne by with-holding Jon Hay's psychological medical assessments.

Hawthorn got a taste of their own medicine.

So that is not here say, rumour or innuendo. I have put up and now I will shut up.

So no, he can go to the Saints. He is made for that club.

Nice post, appreciate your honesty. I suppose it now all comes down to, can you knock the D-Head factor out of him and get him to play good footy in line with what is required. Its a leap of faith in some regards that only the football club can answer. Respectfully, 99% here, know shit about the kid and whether he 'can play the team game' in essence. It's in the hands of those not heard.

I'll give you an analogy. I umpired MPNFL for a number of years, a number of years ago, and the ex-AFL players and Country Colemans that were in that league were numerous. Once such player/coach who reads a bit like Thorp is Simon Goosey, the Mornington FC Captain Coach of a thousand years, an oft regarded Country Coleman. Knowing the bloke as I do, he would have given his left nut to play AFL and respectfully to him, 'They consider him a Congenital and irredeemable figjam.' But I know without doubt, he would have pulled his head out of his A and toed the line to have another shot at the big time. I'm not convinced Thorp wouldnt be the same honestly. These players have to carry the persona to the lesser league to get the jobs and retain some credibility for their supposed reputation. It's different in a lower league compared to the big game in all sports. Big fish, little pond, compared to the opposite in the top leagues. Lanard Copeland was on SEN the other day and he said that there was so many so-so players from the NBA, that couldnt make the grade in the US, but came here and looked like the messiah and there attitudes didnt necessarily back up their abilities. He admitted himself to coming to OZ in a sense so he could be the big time name here.

For me, Thorp is a prospect that fills a dire need, that being an immediate presence at KPF. The cupboard is fairly dry in relation to KPF's in the draft. Thorp is a player that has some idea of the system already and what is required. He also has a mature body and has shown attributes ahead of the scale for the younger options. He wants us, as much as we need him. I'd prefer to rookie list him, but feel that if he's still there at 51, he wont last much longer, pull the trigger. I say, give him a shot and take a chance.

How good would leading teams be with thorp. If you couldn't think of anything to say you could just bag thorp for being a d-ckhead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know media interviews do not always reflect the persons true character, but he has sounded like a mature, level-headed, humble bloke the couple of times I have heard him on the radio. Either he has genuinely grown up and toned down or he is putting it on big time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back