Thoughts on the ballot system for tickets to the GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 13, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry if a thread already exists, but i was just on ebay and seen numerous cat supporters offering to sell their souls for a ticket because they missed out on one in the ballot.

Heartbreaking i reckon:(

Absolutely heart broken, realistically the members were allocated something like under 10k, as September and Social club members were given the rest.

I was after one ticket only, so I assumed that I would have greater odds due to being able to grab one in between larger groups, however it seems as though they have gone for larger groups to get in at the detriment of the single ticket holders.

Not sure if that is true or not, however most of the guys I've spoken to were after large groups of tickets, and were successful. A few others after just one ticket didn't get in.

All 4 of my mates got one and I missed out. We all went in as singles as we thought that would mean a better chance of getting a seat.

Unfortunate for me (although I'm lucky enough to still be going) but the system is fair. The amount of tickets put aside for each team definately isn't fair!

All 4 of my mates got one and I missed out. We all went in as singles as we thought that would mean a better chance of getting a seat.

Unfortunate for me (although I'm lucky enough to still be going) but the system is fair. The amount of tickets put aside for each team definately isn't fair!

that I agree with. The real problem is that the AFL is more interested in making a pile of money from the packages rather than making more room for the everyday fans.

You want to blame someone for missing out - blame the AFL for allocating LESS THAN 10,000 TICKETS to competing clubs, from a total of 98,000. Give me a F*$k#N break. This BS about needing to provide for corporate sponsors is crap - we are the ones who keep the competition alive. There should be a minimum of 20,000 per team and sod the rest.
we were lucky to get some through some AFL Gold members we know - very lucky. BUt didnt get enough!

Ballot is the easiest way to go. It doesn't matter what system you use, there are always going to be people stiff to miss out.

thats true, and at least with the ballot nobody can buy a pile of tickets anf then scalp them for 10x the price. ballot is fair. AFL is greedy.

I think the ballot sytem is fair.... naturally i'm disappointed to miss out but i already knew i wasn't guaranteed a ticket.. thats the chance i took... unfortunately couldnt afford a social or september membership.... barely could afford a basic membership the last 2 years... i'll be there in spirit though :eek:

I do agree though that the 2 competing clubs should be allocated more tickets than they currently are... 20-25k each would seem more appropriate.

The ballot is the fairest way,But i dont like the fact it dosent reward you for been a member for however many years.
BDP - hows the spelling going?
you get a ticked for saturday?
we are going to Young and jacksons pre game.
10am start time i reckon!

I think the ballot sytem is fair.... naturally i'm disappointed to miss out but i already knew i wasn't guaranteed a ticket.. thats the chance i took... unfortunately couldnt afford a social or september membership.... barely could afford a basic membership the last 2 years... i'll be there in spirit though :eek:

I do agree though that the 2 competing clubs should be allocated more tickets than they currently are... 20-25k each would seem more appropriate.
and absoutely - we missed out as well, but were lucky enough to have some back up. The ballot works, the AFL sux.

The system works fine, they just need more tickets. I'd like to see the GFC offer some sort of consolation to those that applied to the ballot and missed out. Some sort of gift to thank them for being members for the year and being unfortunate enough to miss out on a ticket to the big one. Could be like a DVD of the game if we or something like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, one aspect that needs to be fixed is that of on-selling of tickets allocated in the ballot. I’ve been contacted by several Geelong members who got tickets in the ballot and are now selling them for in excess of $400-$500.

This is not what the ballot was intended for. It was intended for members who have followed the team all year to have a roughly equal chance of getting to the game. Not for a few to profiteer from.

Absolutely heart broken, realistically the members were allocated something like under 10k, as September and Social club members were given the rest.

How is that unfair? As a Full Social Club Member or September member you pay allot more than a typical member at Geelong. It's only fair that your benefits are greater.

For the record, i love the ballot system!

Well, one aspect that needs to be fixed is that of on-selling of tickets allocated in the ballot. I’ve been contacted by several Geelong members who got tickets in the ballot and are now selling them for in excess of $400-$500.

This is not what the ballot was intended for. It was intended for members who have followed the team all year to have a roughly equal chance of getting to the game. Not for a few to profiteer from.
its a restricted game and illegal to sell tickets over the face value - unless you offer a corporate package of course.
those members should be found and have their tickets taken off them. and give to members who missed out and would love to go.

its a restricted game and illegal to sell tickets over the face value - unless you offer a corporate package of course.
those members should be found and have their tickets taken off them. and give to members who missed out and would love to go.

Like anything that's made illegal, it just gets driven underground and becomes harder to control and police.

I don't know the solution but it certainly needs attention.

The system works fine, they just need more tickets. I'd like to see the GFC offer some sort of consolation to those that applied to the ballot and missed out. Some sort of gift to thank them for being members for the year and being unfortunate enough to miss out on a ticket to the big one. Could be like a DVD of the game if we or something like that.
yeh because at the end of the day the club charged the $2 to break the heart, also some other clubs charged $5 so atleast we didnt get ripped off.

The Premiership will be prize enough...mind you im going so I cant talk. The Ballot is easily the best system, stops people lining up 1/2 time in the Prelim, or getting other people to take shifts at sitting in a queue.

The allocation is stiff but the problem is they allocate 1/2 the ground to the AFL members and MCC, 20k to the clubs and that gives 25 k to all other interested parties. (16K to eack club for a start) Doesnt leave a lot for the Corporate smoozing anyway, so that whine doesnt really wash anyway.

Ive missed out before im lucky this time.

How is that unfair? As a Full Social Club Member or September member you pay allot more than a typical member at Geelong. It's only fair that your benefits are greater.

For the record, i love the ballot system!

Wasn't referring to being a Social club or September member, the unfairness is the allocation of tickets is too small.

Sorry if I confused the matter, but I know next year I will be upping my membership as I never want this to happen again, even if it is for a couple of
hundred bucks more. Stuff it everyone be a September member, then they have to let us all in.

Is there a cap on the number of September members or Social club members the club can have ?? Anyone know the answer to that one ??

I feel sorry for those of us who missed out, when some (not all), GFC supporters are on-selling their tickets at a hefty price.

Utterly disgraceful. I would give my left nut to be there.

As much as I hate to admit it Eddie is right; GF tickets should be charged a premium and offered on a first refusal basis to competing members. It is pathetic that members are so far down the food chain. I was lucky enough in the ballot to get tickets only to discover that they are restricted view up in the clouds.
With the 750 million from TV, why don't they change?

A jihad on the ballot system. In the distant past when I have tried to get a GF ticket I have been successful without even being a member. I also wonder if I was K.O.'d because I only wanted one ticket.

Shut up Rabbi. You are just bitch'n!!!!

A jihad on the ballot system. In the distant past when I have tried to get a GF ticket I have been successful without even being a member. I also wonder if I was K.O.'d because I only wanted one ticket.

Shut up Rabbi. You are just bitch'n!!!!
Naahh, sorry Rabbi, our group of five entered the ballot separately (two singles, two were with another group, and one was part of a pair) and both singles (me, yay) and one person who was part of a group got tickets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on the ballot system for tickets to the GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back