Three talls in!

Remove this Banner Ad

DaveW

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Adelaide
Perrie, Hentschel and Rutten are the additions to the squad for Sunday's match according to 5AA.

A clear indication we want to go in with a tall forward line I think.

I expect it would be Perrie and one of Carey/Hentschel/Rutten playing up forward.

That would force one of the smaller/medium types out of the side... Begley? Shirley? maybe Torney?

Originally posted by DaveW
Perrie, Hentschel and Rutten are the additions to the squad for Sunday's match according to 5AA.

A clear indication we want to go in with a tall forward line I think.

I expect it would be Perrie and one of Carey/Hentschel/Rutten playing up forward.

That would force one of the smaller/medium types out of the side... Begley? Shirley? maybe Torney?

I think we are covering for possibly injured players more than anything.

Carey and Welsh could be doubtful. I hope they both play.

One TV station tonight suggested that Massie and McGregor may also be injured. If this does occur, this would be a shame as they have been quite good.

At least Sarge should slot straight in.

As for Trent & Ben - I know some of you dont like the idea that we shouldnt bring in a rookie for one game. It's a nice theory.

Reality is, take out Stevens and either Welsh or Carey (worse case both) and who do we have? Rookies. And if they are playing well enough in SANFL and there is a chance for them to be tested at AFL level that's great.

We've got no choice but to play a rookie when 2 - 3 of our best are out. They'll only stop being rookies when they get some experience.

I really cannot understand why people are calling for Shirley to be dropped??????:confused:

The bloke has done absolutely nothing wrong in the 3 games he has played. Last week he didn't get much ground time but if you actually take the number of contests he contested and the number of those contests won, I reckon Shirley would pass with flying colors.

We are going over to Subiaco to do what other side has not done so far this year, so why would you drop Torney. An experienced player who has courage to burn when that will be exactly what is required.

3 talls in suggests that we will go in with a tall forward line. I don't think Carey will play, so one of Hentschel and Rutten will come in. As Jerome said, there is some slight doubt over McGregor and Massie. I believe both have a bit of a virus.:(

Here are the sides for all those interested:

ADELAIDE
B: Smart, Bassett, Hart
HB: Massie, McGregor, Edwards
C: Begley, Ricciuto, Burton
HF: McLeod, Carey, Johncock
F: Burns, Welsh, Ladhams
FOLL: Biglands, Bickley, Shirley
I/C (from): Bode, Clarke, Hentschel, Perrie, Rutten, Stenglein, Torney
IN: Hentschel, Perrie, Rutten
OUT: -

FREMANTLE
B: Polak, McPharlin, Walker
HB: Parker, Haddrill, Woods
C: McManus, Hasleby, Carr
HF: Headland, Simmonds, Schammer
F: Pavlich, J.Longmuir, Farmer
FOLL: Sandilands, Cook, Bell
I/C (from): Koops, T.Longmuir, Webster, Grover, Thornton, Hayden, Medhurst
IN: T.Longmuir, Thornton, Webster
OUT: -

Going by the team line ups I reckon Torney will be dropped (which I don't agree with - I very ****ed off that he's had so little ground time of late) for Perrie.

And one of Rutten and Hentschel is on standby for Carey. (Has anyone seen the Westies or Eagles line ups?)

Re: Re: Three talls in!

Originally posted by Jerome
I think we are covering for possibly injured players more than anything.

Carey and Welsh could be doubtful. I hope they both play.

That would be a huge blow to the Crows if Carey and Welsh are both out, at least we have Perrie back in who can cover for one but both?!?!

One TV station tonight suggested that Massie and McGregor may also be injured. If this does occur, this would be a shame as they have been quite good.

Don't know about Massie, but apparently McGregor missed training 'cos he has the flu-they are assuming that he will play this weekend, but honestly, I think if someone is recovering from the flu, how good can their form be?

Originally posted by DaveW
(Has anyone seen the Westies or Eagles line ups?)
Disappointed with the Eagles for the last month. Yhey used to put their side on the web around midday thursday, now its not up until friday. I guess we will have to wait until tommorrow.

I reckon both Hentschel and Rutten will be named for their SANFL sides and one of them will withdraw on Saturday if Carey fails the fitness test. They showed a bit of footage of him leaving Club facilities today and he appeared to walk properly. The knee was bending normally and he didn't appear to limp. He might be right after all. If he plays I would "hide" him at FF and only move him to CHF if we are in real need for it.

Carey and Welsh are the real ones in doubt, I would have thought with their knee and back respectively.

One we can cover, both could be a disaster. It'll be interesting to see if Rutten and Hentschel are named in their SANFL sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
Disappointed with the Eagles for the last month. Yhey used to put their side on the web around midday thursday, now its not up until friday. I guess we will have to wait until tommorrow.
Yeah, it was about that time you told me they put their team up by midday Thursday.

I reckon from that time onwards I've checked wwtfc.com every Thursday and the side has never been there!

I'm sure we can beat Freo this week without any grade two name calling or abusive naughty words. Im sure the AFC players will be absolutley professional and not use harsh language towards the Freo boys. We wouldnt want to upset their coach Chris Whitebread. Why Ive heard that after last week the poor fellow has been so upset with his teams performance he's been put off drinking warm milk before he goes to bed each night.

Ahhh! The last time someone on here sledged the opposition before the match, we got done, it was the Hawks and SOMEONE went on about how they were/are all prettyboys. And looked what happened!

Shirley's been lingering around the list for a couple of years and hasn't shown much at all, really. I'll be very surprised if he's not delisted at the end of the season.

Looks like it's Rutten everyone! Check out this somewhat confusing article from The Advertiser. Why they have to talk about us and the paps in the one article is beyond me!

WESTERN WILDCARD
By Chief Football Writer MICHELANGELO RUCCI
18jul03

ADELAIDE rookie Ben Rutten is the Crows' wildcard in this weekend's Battle of the Nullarbor which pits South Australian football's ambitions against those of the West while shaping the top of the AFL ladder.

Rutten, 20, faces three possible appointments this weekend – all vastly diverse – as the Crows' line-up remains clouded by the uncertainty of key forward Wayne Carey proving his fitness at training tomorrow.
The solid key position player could be with the West Adelaide SANFL reserves tomorrow, making his AFL debut against Fremantle at Subiaco on Sunday, or collecting frequent flyer points as the Crows' travelling insurance policy.

Team selection was as expected last night when West Coast, buoyed by its 116-point win against Carlton, was unchanged for its top-of-the-table clash with a drained Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium tomorrow night.

The Power's need to counter West Coast's goalscoring midfield prompted the unlucky demotion of ruckman Brendon Lade to make room for proven tagger Stuart Cochrane, who resumes after a one-game absence with an ankle sprain.

Seventh-placed Fremantle also named an unchanged line-up to host fourth-ranked Adelaide at Subiaco but there is the expectation the Dockers will make a late change to reward utility Troy Longmuir.

Adelaide has kept the 22 who beat Essendon by 41 points at AAMI Stadium last Friday. Rutten, tall forward Trent Hentschel and key forward Ian Perrie make up the 25, which must be trimmed to 22 today, well before the Crows will know Carey's status.

Perrie will resume after serving his one-game suspension. He seems certain to cover Carey, who – despite his keenness to play – poses too great a risk of playing while carrying the 14 stitches above his right kneecap which was split open by his collision with a behind post.

Hentschel, who has played two AFL games this season, is named with SANFL club Woodville-West Torrens.

The mystery man is Rutten, a key position player elevated from Adelaide's rookie list last season.

Already there is the notion Rutten is on standby to cover centre half-back Ken McGregor who has trained lightly this week. McGregor reported having the flu last weekend and has been restricted in his practice.

To avoid flattening him on the track, McGregor was taken out of training after 30 minutes on Wednesday, enough to prompt suggestions he may not play this weekend.

Also under a cloud is Kris Massie, who has carried general soreness with a range of injuries for the past seven weeks.

Adelaide will train at Adelaide Oval at 10am tomorrow. It is then that Carey must make a very strong case to keep his place in the side – or stay in Adelaide.

Port will train at AAMI Stadium at noon today with Lade, utility Brent Guerra and forward Che ****atoo-Collins on standby.

West Coast will arrive in Adelaide this afternoon without veteran defender Ashley McIntosh, who will play WAFL football and not contend with Power vice-captain and key forward Warren Tredrea, the man who poses the greatest challenge to the Eagles.

Who stands Tredrea remains West Coast coach John Worsfold's secret.

Port's concern is dealing with West Coast's midfield – in particular ruckman Michael Gardiner, captain Ben Cousins and wingman Andrew Embley – to stop it posting a matchwinning score.

Adelaide will aim to keep its record of being the last non-WA team to win at Subiaco. It faces a Fremantle side under pressure – of expectation – to stay in the top eight.

Fremantle coach Chris Connolly last night described the historically proven trend of young teams slipping under the pressure of fighting for a top-eight berth as a bit of a "cop out".

"I don't think we've lost two in a row this season," said Connolly, whose team has to rebound from a 41-point loss to Collingwood last weekend.

"The stakes (will) get higher and the expectation (will) get higher."

Connolly, who resisted recalling forwards Trent Croad or Clive Waterhouse, heightened the expectation of a late change to the Dockers side saying: "There are players like Troy Longmuir itching to get back into this team. If anybody drops their guard they will be replaced."

Originally posted by Go South
Shirley's been lingering around the list for a couple of years and hasn't shown much at all, really. I'll be very surprised if he's not delisted at the end of the season.

Surely Shirley :)rolleyes: sorry) should be judged on the merit of his recent form. Three matches, one excellent, one very good and one OK with limited game time. Can't see why he would be automatically dropped. Begley for example is far from earning a spot at this stage IMO.

As for delisting, well, as Macca23 says, he has never disgraced himself at AFL level. I think he will either be traded to a club who is in need of a tagger or possibly kept as a tagger to release Stenglein into the midfield. But I agree the competition for spots on the list may be too hot at the moment and he may end up delisted. To me this would be a bit of a loss for the AFC.

Well, Rutten hasn't been named for Westies but Trent is still in the Eagles lineup.

That would suggest that it's Perrie and Rutten for either Carey and Torney, or Carey and Welsh, or McGregor and Massie or maybe Shirley...errr, let's just say any 2 Crows' players ;)

We don't normally play mind games but we're doing a sensational job of it this week.

Originally posted by napsyd
Surely Shirley :)rolleyes: sorry) should be judged on the merit of his recent form. Three matches, one excellent, one very good and one OK with limited game time. Can't see why he would be automatically dropped. Begley for example is far from earning a spot at this stage IMO.

As for delisting, well, as Macca23 says, he has never disgraced himself at AFL level. I think he will either be traded to a club who is in need of a tagger or possibly kept as a tagger to release Stenglein into the midfield. But I agree the competition for spots on the list may be too hot at the moment and he may end up delisted. To me this would be a bit of a loss for the AFC.

I agree 100% napsyd! I think Shirley (the new brunette:cool: ) has been fine for us this year in the three games he has played, and is well worth hanging on to. Also seems to have built himself up nicely.
To quote Roy Slaven " I like the cut of his jib".

Remove this Banner Ad

Three talls in!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back