Throwing Darts: Our Depth Inside Mids

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
The recruiting strategy for our depth inside mids feels a little like we're throwing darts and hoping something sticks. Finlay Macrae, Josh Carmichael, Lachlan Sullivan, Jack Bytel, Ned Long. Realistically what are their prospects of making the grade?

So dumb to trade away a contracted VC Adams for peanuts if our goal this year was to top up and challenge and throw away a first and second round for Schultz.

Was thinking the same thing tonight. Long might be OK, but these types like Bytel etc have limited upside and have proven that at other sides not as good as us.

Mitchell's injury has hurt the mix for sure, but this is a bit of a gap on the list at the moment I think. I am not a massive fan of Nick as the primary extractor, we need more options.

I feel like we were confident Macrae would take the step up and fill that hole. The club misread that one.
They hardly gave him a chance though if that was their plan. Played him mostly as sub or getting subbed off. If that was the plan they needed to give him a 5-6 solid block of games and also not expect him to be consistent but just show signs

I thought Sullivan showed good traits in his first few games then tapered off. Long looks like she’s got a good combination of size and speed. Still want to see Bytel have a go at inside mid at AFL level as his only appearances for us have been on the wing so far.

We should go after Taylor Adams from Sydney, he's exactly what we need and he'd come cheap

The recruiting strategy for our depth inside mids feels a little like we're throwing darts and hoping something sticks. Finlay Macrae, Josh Carmichael, Lachlan Sullivan, Jack Bytel, Ned Long. Realistically what are their prospects of making the grade?
These guys cost us collectively just one first round draft pick.
Finn has certainly disappointed and is in danger of becoming a list clogger.

Sullivan is serviceable with some hope for more. Early days for long, but the size is there as long as he doesn’t Frampton up.

I’d add Allen and Mitchell to this list.
Mitchell clearly a recruiting win.
But I don’t have enough fingers and toes to cross for Allen.

You forget Reef McInnes was also touted by Hine to eventually play inside mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back