Social Science Tight arse things you or others do

Remove this Banner Ad

Netflix and Foxtel/FTA terrestrial TV aren't comparable in Australia. I can get all manner of live sport in HD 24/7 at my house on Fox. With Netflix if I wanted to watch a movie I'd need to start a download, take the dog for a walk then come back. We saw during the WC the Optus live sport streaming debacle. And yes Murdoch shoulders blame for our piss poor internet speeds.
??? I've never had Netflix buffer while watching ever.

The product they deliver is comparable, even if the delivery method is not.

I think the sense of ennui around the AFL at the moment can partially be explained by so many games being behind a paywll.

And misplaced nostalgia.

The 90s were awesome, but you didn't get 9 games a round live and in HD.

In Perth we got Friday night footy on 3 hour delay, then usually live games on Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon or late morning, then a mixture of live/delayed games at other times. West Coast playing in Melbourne at 5.40 on a Saturday? On at 6.30 after the news. West Coast playing at 2.40 on a Sunday? On at 4.30 with the news at half time.

If Channel 7 were gifted all 9 games a round right now they'd shunt them off to multi-channels or show them on delay.

You haven't, but your experience can't be extrapolated to every house in Australia. Internet speed and reliability varies significantly. Not many people in a cap city have trouble getting Channel 7 or Fox with a dish.

Netflix and Foxtel/FTA terrestrial TV aren't comparable in Australia. I can get all manner of live sport in HD 24/7 at my house on Fox. With Netflix if I wanted to watch a movie I'd need to start a download, take the dog for a walk then come back. We saw during the WC the Optus live sport streaming debacle. And yes Murdoch shoulders blame for our piss poor internet speeds.

I literally have an average speed of <2.5mbps and have never had an issue with Netflix. Foxtel and Optus Sport on the other hand. I am genuinely excited about the NBN being active later this year even if I only get a max speed of 10mbps. Yep.

And misplaced nostalgia.

The 90s were awesome, but you didn't get 9 games a round live and in HD.

In Perth we got Friday night footy on 3 hour delay, then usually live games on Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon or late morning, then a mixture of live/delayed games at other times. West Coast playing in Melbourne at 5.40 on a Saturday? On at 6.30 after the news. West Coast playing at 2.40 on a Sunday? On at 4.30 with the news at half time.

If Channel 7 were gifted all 9 games a round right now they'd shunt them off to multi-channels or show them on delay.

I recall being stoked in 2008 when the Friday night game was shown live for the first time with the Olympic ceremony.

It's staggering the amount of whingeing and entitlement people can come up with.

Some people on BigFooty wax lyrical about when Channel 10 had AFL rights which is ****ing hilarious given it was delays galore. They really remember being younger, having fuller hair, and a dick that worked better.

I'm not badass enough to do this.

Meh, just bring your own and don't whinge I suggest.

I didn't bring it up. It'll be a while before I'm back at a cinema and not because of the flipping candy bar. Etiquette is just ****ed. People talk and get out their phones like it's nothing. Not just big blockbusters but at places like Cinema Nova too.

I didn't bring it up. It'll be a while before I'm back at a cinema and not because of the flipping candy bar. Etiquette is just ******. People talk and get out their phones like it's nothing. Not just big blockbusters but at places like Cinema Nova too.
I find the sound of crinkling wrappers and people stuffing their faces is pretty annoying, thankfully it's usually mostly over after about the first 10 minutes.

I recall being stoked in 2008 when the Friday night game was shown live for the first time with the Olympic ceremony.

It's staggering the amount of whingeing and entitlement people can come up with.

I preferred the 4 FTA/4 Fox model with a 16 team comp but the current arrangement really isn't the end of the world. My only real sympathy is for people in Victoria whose teams are playing interstate and being telecast only on Fox and even then it's not a massive injustice in the grand scheme of things.

I'd be fine with less money in the game and all games on FTA, but then I don't see a cent of the $400m+ from the TV rights deal.

I find the sound of crinkling wrappers and people stuffing their faces is pretty annoying, thankfully it's usually mostly over after about the first 10 minutes.

Depends on the context. If it's something like Star Wars 37 or Marvel 192 and goes for two and a half hours yeah I don't mind and will be eating myself. I'd take that scenario over seeing a serious movie at Cinema Nova and someone getting their phone out because "I'm bored. **** everybody behind me!" or giggling through the non-comedy because they had a glass of wine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just heard Goughs rage from across the Pacific.
10000 unsold tickets for Tests against India and declining interest in the game suggests that cricket going behind a paywall has been disastrous for the English game. Do our guys look and learn, do they f***.

ODIs apart from the WC are basically glorified practice matches and totally forgettable for the most part.
10000 unsold tickets for Tests against India and declining interest in the game suggests that cricket going behind a paywall has been disastrous for the English game. Do our guys look and learn, do they f***.
The vast majority of cricket is still on FTA. In saying that I'm very disappointed that C10 didn't get it, I think they would do the best job and it was iirc going to be all on FTA under their deal.

What about people's thoughts on all the ODIs (and T20s if I recall, correct me if I'm wrong) being on Foxtel now?

The worst thing about the new deal is that 1/3 of the BBL matches will be on Fox and they are what people actually watch.

It will take some adjustment not all tests, ODIs and T20Is being on Channel 9 but all the international series have been off FTA for years.

Wtf?

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Below are the internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.
  • 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
  • 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
  • 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
  • 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
  • 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

How do you propose I stream in HD quality barely getting 1-2 Mb/s?

As I said, no issues doing it via Fox and FTA.

ODIs apart from the WC are basically glorified practice matches and totally forgettable for the most part.

The vast majority of cricket is still on FTA. In saying that I'm very disappointed that C10 didn't get it, I think they would do the best job and it was iirc going to be all on FTA under their deal.

CA have ****ed ODIs with their "rest everybody good unless it's the World Cup" selection policy.

ODI stopped being relevant once T20 took off.

Options are to sit around all day to watch 5-10 interesting overs of bowling then 5-10 interesting overs of batting with 30 overs of batsmen rotating the strike and bowlers aiming to go for 5 an over, or go along in the evening and watch 40 overs in one hit. The punters vote for the latter.

The frustrating thing about Test matches and why I've come to not care is they're full of moments that are only interesting after the match has ended and you know which moments mattered. To actually watch it is to watch a format where the strategy is to fill time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Social Science Tight arse things you or others do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back