Player Watch Tim Broomhead - (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

24 year old ..

... played 36 games in 6 seasons ...

... small forward player who has kicked 27 goals in those 36 games ...

... he’s competing with players like JT and Stephenson who have both kicked more goals (28) in just this season alone. Add Elliott to that who is yet to come back and obviously Elliott is ahead in the pecking order.

... although other players he is competing with for the position include Kirby (out indefinitely, will probably retire?), Blair (only played 2 games this season, players of his experience who play that little rarely get a contract extension, will be delisted?) and Fasolo (Free agent, might look for better opportunities elsewhere?).

I actually think Broomheads competition comes from Aish, Mayne, Daicos and Brown. Guys that spend a fair bit of time on the wing/midfield but rotate forward at times. If he hadn't injured his leg I reckon he'd have gotten a crack at the role Mayne is currently doing. It could have been a very different season if injury hadn't interrupted.

Not sure why we would hang on to him. He is 25 and while has had injuries, I think he has only played 1 or 2 really good games. The list needs to keep turning over. There will be another 4 or 5 kids brought in to the team post draft. The club needs to move forward. And to be honest, he never looked like a ‘hard runner’ as has been mentioned on this thread. Yes he has skills but so do a lot of others who haven’t made it.

Not sure why we would hang on to him. He is 25 and while has had injuries, I think he has only played 1 or 2 really good games. The list needs to keep turning over. There will be another 4 or 5 kids brought in to the team post draft. The club needs to move forward. And to be honest, he never looked like a ‘hard runner’ as has been mentioned on this thread. Yes he has skills but so do a lot of others who haven’t made it.

The way I figure it: we’ve got salary cap concerns, the guy has talent and skill, and he wouldn’t cost much. We’ll probably cut Blair, Smith (I would anyway) and I’d be surprised is Wells doesn’t retire, along with Goldsack. So it’s not much of a risk and the upside could be quite big. I expected him to do what Aish did this year - finally find a spot. Until that leg...

The way I figure it: we’ve got salary cap concerns, the guy has talent and skill, and he wouldn’t cost much. We’ll probably cut Blair, Smith (I would anyway) and I’d be surprised is Wells doesn’t retire, along with Goldsack. So it’s not much of a risk and the upside could be quite big. I expected him to do what Aish did this year - finally find a spot. Until that leg...
Always been a fan of Broom, the leg was a freak accident, that aside he was never on the park consistently enough due to a multitude of concerns. I thought he would be the big improver, he is talented and will be cheap depth, as will Smith. They won’t cost much and we need the depth without the price tag. Can’t see a huge market for either, smith possibly at the Suns would get a run there.

Always been a fan of Broom, the leg was a freak accident, that aside he was never on the park consistently enough due to a multitude of concerns. I thought he would be the big improver, he is talented and will be cheap depth, as will Smith. They won’t cost much and we need the depth without the price tag. Can’t see a huge market for either, smith possibly at the Suns would get a run there.

I could imagine a team like the suns or Carlton might take a punt on Broomhead. He’s shown glimpses. Just needs continuity.

He is one of the most skilled and talented players on our list....he will get an extension to his contract
Thanks bucks, one year extension ok with that

Agree one year as rookie is fair, also represents good value for the club IMO. Always handy to have one who has shown they can play at the level.

As an aside - has anyone ever seen him speak? Not sure I've ever seen him on camera

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't imagine we would be the type of club that would delist a bloke after a freak injury.

At worst we make rookie, but would still love to see what broomy can achieve.

If we could get Wells off our books that would solve a lot of problems.

Is there a sneaky chance he might get back for VFL finals?

It would be nice but I wouldn't risk him.

If you see him on the scooter he isn't using the broken leg.

Still an amazing recovery. I did a tib/fib back in 2014 (although mine also involved the knee end/tibial plateau which probably = longer time frames all things being equal ) and was only just getting off a walking frame and on to crutches after 3-4 months lol He's looking great.

The benefits of age (lack of) and around the clock rehab .

It would be nice but I wouldn't risk him.

If you see him on the scooter he isn't using the broken leg.

Pretty sure it was the left leg he broke and that that was the leg he was driving with. Either way, I'd have assumed the leg on the scooter still gets a solid weight bearing work out.

1 good reason to give him a contract...

he is close mates with Brody Grundy.

that's good enough for me.

Yeah I agree they are really close.

Might be worth considering a rookie spot though maybe. Definitely wouldn't be getting rid of him.

I reckon the way we are playing now, he would be killing it.

One year as excellent talented depth.

No issues.

I’m not a particular fan of delisting to make them a rookie.

You want them then give them a contract and trust your judgment.

The option to delist then rookie again should only be used for the players that you are happy to see g, but if push comes to shove can have as emergency back up like Oxley.

To me Broomhead far too talented for an Oxley risk move to delist then rookie.

One year is fine :)

Yeah I agree they are really close.

Might be worth considering a rookie spot though maybe. Definitely wouldn't be getting rid of him.

I reckon the way we are playing now, he would be killing it.

I can see a few older guys going this off season so a rookie spot for Broomhead is reasonable. He could be a useful role player but he is never going to be a star.

I also think there is a non football benefit to supporting players who have serious injuries in building a good environment off field. My view is it almost a little immoral to cut blokes with acl's or bad breaks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Tim Broomhead - (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back