Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Who won this trade?

• Geelong

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • West Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct. The point is Wells saying the Cats may just keep Kelly simply won't happen.

Geelong need to stop this PR bulls**t posturing about forcing Kelly to stay at Geelong. He has requested a trade in both his first off seasons for family reasons not because he doesn't like Geelong.

Every club does it, in every trade period, lol. If a club was to come out and say 'yep, he'll be traded, no sweat', then they would be bent over at the trade table without a doubt. There is rarely any trade in trade history where a club has just said 'it's a done deal, will be tabled at 9:01AM. Last year we came pretty close with our deal for Linc to go to Brisbane, and then the subsequent on-trade to Carlton for Kreuger. No hassle, no fuss, everyone happy. Very very rare that you see that happen.

Correct. The point is Wells saying the Cats may just keep Kelly simply won't happen.

Geelong need to stop this PR bulls**t posturing about forcing Kelly to stay at Geelong. He has requested a trade in both his first off seasons for family reasons not because he doesn't like Geelong.

He didn’t say that at all from memory. He said they’d like to keep him (who wouldn’t) , and hold out for the faintest hope he does agree to sign with Geelong.

And I guess you all believe Danger and Scott are serious with their demands as well yeah?

Fact is they don’t want to lose a player who is a genuine gun, and are hoping for the best deal they can get for him.

IMO pick 1 for Kelly would still be unders (hear me out). Rowell could and may well be better than Kelly, but at least with Kelly you know you’ll be getting 5-6 years of A grade talent. Rowell could end up being the best player ever or could end up being Tom Scully. There are many unknowns of the draft which tend to massively over rate the value of draft picks.

IMO pick 1 for Kelly would still be unders (hear me out). Rowell could and may well be better than Kelly, but at least with Kelly you know you’ll be getting 5-6 years of A grade talent. Rowell could end up being the best player ever or could end up being Tom Scully. There are many unknowns of the draft which tend to massively over rate the value of draft picks.

Ask Gold Coast fans if they would trade their pick 1 for Tim Kelly.

The answer might surprise you.

Joel Selwood?

Played on a wing 2/3rd's of the year. Worst year since he was drafted. Only had a good finals series, as he's an absolute battler, but struggled with injury and form most of the year.

TK our clear number 1 permanent mid. Duncan second as a wing/inside and outside mid, and then Danger 3rd with his 60/40 mid-fwd split.

Played on a wing 2/3rd's of the year. Worst year since he was drafted. Only had a good finals series, as he's an absolute battler, but struggled with injury and form most of the year.

TK our clear number 1 permanent mid. Duncan second and then Danger with his 60/40 mid-fwd split.

A winger is a midfielder.

Anyway, it is clear Tim Kelly is a key part of Geelong's engine room, so don't know why that needs to be debated. Like the reasons why he nominated West Coast which for some reason some posters still are hung up about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, it is clear Tim Kelly is a key part of Geelong's engine room, so don't know why that needs to be debated. Like the reasons why he nominated West Coast which for some reason some posters still are hung up about.

Most reasonable posters aren't, and expected it. As long as fair value is offered that reflects previous elite trades (stated umpteen times what they are), then I don't think anyone will actually care once this is done and dusted.

Honestly, I'm more perplexed why he stated 'money is the most important factor' 6 or so weeks ago, and then has only taken 650K to go with WC. Geelong's offer is reportedly above 800K from multiple sources, and Freo could, in theory, throw the kitchen sink at him. That's the part that's got me baffled. I guess his original comments were to make WC up their offer, but their cap couldn't accomodate. A lot of odd things in this whole saga though.

Are you going with a running gag of making dense statements in this thread? You know what he is referring to.

Anyway I heard a rumour that WCE are pressuring Kelly's family back in the west, super unethical I reckon ;)

Most reasonable poster aren't, and expected it. I'm more perplexed why he stated 'money is the most important factor' 6 or so weeks ago, and then has only taken 650K to go with WC. Geelong's offer reportedly above 800K from multiple sources, and Freo could, in theory, throw the kitchen sink at him. That's the part that's got me baffled. I guess his original comments were to make WC up their offer, but their cap couldn't accomodate. A lot of odd things in this whole saga though.

Those numbers could all be fake news for all we know. According to who you follow, Nic Naitanui is on just 500k, or 1m + ambassador payments, and all variations in between.

I personally never pay any attention to them. The only things we know for certain are contract lengths.

With regards to cap space, we won't have an issue this year, that I am sure of. The key players re-signing this year were already on big wages, and none of our key youngsters extended that I know of. Masten is being let go and the Rioli situation may also play a part, I am sure the club admin (like at Geelong too) have done the numbers to ensure compliance while having enough to throw at Tim Kelly.

Wrong he was our first mid. Danger spent nearly half his time as a forward. Have no idea who you think our second mid was. Cam Guthrie?
You are dreaming, but carry on. Opposition teams look to Danger, then Selllwood. You only started to win when Sellwood went back to the middle. Ego is Dangers biggest problem

Regardless - Kelly isn't a Bont, etc, etc, etc

In 2020 Kelly will fit in with Shuey and Yoe allowing others to play less demanding and more appropriate roles. For example Gaff more time on the wing. I know our MC are also looking at TK on the wing but they want to see Brander there more as well. This suggests a rotation.

Geelong can please themselves.

Last edited:
Ask Gold Coast fans if they would trade their pick 1 for Tim Kelly.

The answer might surprise you.

Obviously they wouldn’t, but without other factors besides football (which are important of course) if you were guaranteed an A grader for 6-8 years vs taking a player who could end up anything between a bust or an A+ I’d be taking the known talent every time.

Most reasonable posters aren't, and expected it. As long as fair value is offered that reflects previous elite trades (stated umpteen times what they are), then I don't think anyone will actually care once this is done and dusted.

Honestly, I'm more perplexed why he stated 'money is the most important factor' 6 or so weeks ago, and then has only taken 650K to go with WC. Geelong's offer is reportedly above 800K from multiple sources, and Freo could, in theory, throw the kitchen sink at him. That's the part that's got me baffled. I guess his original comments were to make WC up their offer, but their cap couldn't accomodate. A lot of odd things in this whole saga though.
It’s been reported that we offered a 4m deal over 5 years (800k per annum). Interesting if it’s only 650K

Reckon we still need to enquire about getting Martin to play for the cats. Three way trade.

West coast give
14, 2020 1st and Martin

Geelong give
Kelly's left nut sack

Winners all round.

You are dreaming, but carry on. Opposition teams look to Danger, then Selllwood. You only started to win when Sellwood went back to the middle. Ego is Dangers biggest problem

Regardless - Kelly isn't a Bont, etc, etc, etc

In 2020 Kelly will fit in with Shuey and Yoe allowing others to play less demanding and more appropriate roles. For example Gaff more time on the wing. I know our MC are also looking at TK on the wing but they want to see Brander there more as well. This suggests a rotation.

Geelong can please themselves.
Selwood played the whole first half the season on the wing. You know, the half of the season we went 11 and 1. Which team were you watching?

Based on a realistic DVI, and expectations of future pick value at the time of trade, here are the four most relevant recent trades:

Dangerfield. 25. Uncontracted. Slightly better player. 1642 points.

Treloar. 22. Uncontracted. Worse player. 1981 points.

Neale. 25. Contracted. Similar ability. 1961 points.

Shiel. 25. Contracted. Worse player. 2040 points.

Kelly. 25. Uncontracted. 1785 points (assuming 14 and future first).

This is the dvi:

1570249824643.png

Eagles could obtain Hawks pick 11 for our 2 2nd rounders which goes to F/S bid.

Pick 11 and 14 would get it done hell Adelaide might be interested to even trade pick 3 as they need to get players on the list due to everyone bailing and by doing so would get back at Geelong for shafting them with Dangerfield....

Hawks dont need to trade 11 as maguiness wont go before then and gws are more keen than you to get adelaides pick and will trade more for it than you. I like your idea i just dont think it has any realistic chance of happening.

Based on a realistic DVI, and expectations of future pick value at the time of trade, here are the four most relevant recent trades:

Dangerfield. 25. Uncontracted. Slightly better player. 1642 points.

Treloar. 22. Uncontracted. Worse player. 1981 points.

Neale. 25. Contracted. Similar ability. 1961 points.

Shiel. 25. Contracted. Worse player. 2040 points.

Kelly. 25. Uncontracted. 1785 points (assuming 14 and future first).

This is the dvi:

View attachment 759027

Points dont accurately reflect how much more valuable higher picks are than lower ones. I get where you are going but i think theres too big a flaw in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Back