Tim Paine caught in sexting scandal, resigns as Test Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I know he was the Australian captain, but surely no one can like this guy as a bloke.

I'm sure most who know him personally probably do and will continue to do so. They might feel a little hurt and betrayed in their judgements of him, but most likely that will pass and life will continue.

As for us fans it's generally a bit more of an impersonal relationship. There will be those who are generally hurt and betrayed, but for most it's a bit of a laugh and we move on. Unfortunately this will tarnish his career and live in the memory of fans for some time.

I always find it interesting how determined people are to judge others. Most of the Oz cricket team have been deemed shit blokes at some point for varying reasons from over appealing to ball tampering. I'm not sure people apply their exceptionally high standards to themselves or their loved ones. Maybe, maybe not.

Last edited:

The world has gone completely mad with every little thing in anyones life which had previously been investigated now getting dragged up again.

Feel sorry for Tim and I see The West has gone hard and early calling him a disgraced former captain already…

Surprised they care i didn't think they were part of Australia anymore

It depends on the context, were pictures exchanged previous to this instance? The length of time Tim and the women have known each other etc. I'm guessing all this would have been investigated in 2018 when the allegation was raised.

The texts released by the media are notable because of the timing - just before the Gabba test match in 2017.

But to answer succinctly

If 2 people are sexting, as these two clearly were. Then I don't think you can claim that a naughty pic is unsolicited.

Text messages are notoriously hard to gauge context and tone.

It appears to be 2 consenting adults engaging in sexual banter or flirting.
Buried in the CA or Tasmanian Cricket report was the fact that it was the only time this had occurred between them so no, there's no reason to believe other pictures were exchanged.

I'd argue that if you can't tell the exact tone and context, which as you say can be difficult with texting, then sending a dickpic is unsolicited if it wasn't asked for. But ultimately that's just a differing of opinions.

I think as western royboy said, in any case it's below the expected standard an Aus cricket captain and it'll be interesting to know why CA didn't act.

What are you talking about?

There are plenty more.

Again, read what I had quoted. I'm arguing the above examples are how it should be, that sexual violence should be gender neutral with how it's treated.

A female friend of mine works in the same Dept as me but in HR.

Said there's about a dozen of these come in per week - only a few are genuine harassment claims. The rest are mostly mutual, consensual relationships that start up in the office or after-hours - what's interesting is the complaints tend to come days and weeks after the sexting has already stopped.

I found this bizarre, so I asked why wouldn't the complaints come in during the period of sexting/harassment - i.e. 'look at what this guy sent just an hour ago'. The reasons are difficult, but it appears the complaint is filed after the two parties have had some kind of falling out, i.e. one party withdraws or decides to stop to protect their jobs/marriages etc or there is some form of jealousy in the workplace.

Only then through thorough investigating it turns out the outcomes are convoluted and complex - and in many cases there were deeper things at play, including emotions that have been hurt or other people upset.

I reckon this may be one of those cases.

Buried in the CA or Tasmanian Cricket report was the fact that it was the only time this had occurred between them so no, there's no reason to believe other pictures were exchanged.

I'd argue that if you can't tell the exact tone and context, which as you say can be difficult with texting, then sending a dickpic is unsolicited if it wasn't asked for. But ultimately that's just a differing of opinions.

I think as western royboy said, in any case it's below the expected standard an Aus cricket captain and it'll be interesting to know why CA didn't act.

I'm old school. I understand in this new day and age we have metoo and inclusion and safe places and trigger warnings etc.

Paine has engaged in flirtatious banter with someone who clearly was attracted to him.

Was she genuinely offended at him sending a penis picture? Who knows. But people will make their own minds up.

Someone keeps sending me a unsolicited dick pic....

This one...

A8263QW.jpg

6’4, soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question and not being a dickhead, but what is Tim allowed to do if her texts are laced with sexual innuendo? If they were in the same room is the line physical contact or something else?

To me there is a line between sending messages like they were and sending an unwanted dickpic.

I'm not saying he's done the worst thing ever but what he's done is bad and idiotic and not something I'd want in a captain if I were CA.

You always have to be careful fishing off the company jetty. I think if she was just a member of the public it would still be a story but much less of a story.

so if a man and woman are alone and somewhat flirting, and then the man just randomly without asking pulls his pants down and makes her look, thats ok?
I guess the grey area is being able to read the situation of someone into it vs when someone wants to stop at any given point.

Many consensual sexual encounters occur without every next step being explicitly asked or answered.
It doesn't often go:
"Can I dance with you?"
"Can I touch you?"
"Can I kiss you here, what about there?"
"Can I take off your top, your pants, can I XYZ...."

A night of progression of intimacy doesn't involve 100 questions for most people.

I guess the grey area is being able to read the situation of someone into it vs when someone wants to stop at any given point.

Many consensual sexual encounters occur without every next step being explicitly asked or answered.
It doesn't often go:
"Can I dance with you?"
"Can I touch you?"
"Can I kiss you here, what about there?"
"Can I take off your top, your pants, can I XYZ...."

A night of progression of intimacy doesn't involve 100 questions for most people.

100%

The problem is things that have been investigated years ago coming back up again, people need to move on.

Look at JDG, dragged through the mud for a year because of something that has been investigated and cleared, then 5 years later he gets investigated and cleared, again!

Paine and his family had moved on, it was t hidden but looked at and now 4 years later he’s dragged through the mud again and called a disgrace.

FFS, you could do something today that’s perfectly acceptable but in 5 years time when the Greens have taken control, what’s normal now would make you a disgrace then!
Was it truly investigated and cleared? If he's quitting now, it's because he knows it's inappropriate behaviour for the captain of the Australian cricket team. Just because it was quietly swept under the carpet four years ago doesn't mean at some point he may be held accountable for his actions.

This isn't a case of something that was accepted then now being seen as unacceptable. That happens and it's possible for people to be contrite and move on. That's why Eddie Murphy is still going strong despite some quite homophobic content in the early '80s, it's why Justin Trudeau is still PM of Canada despite the blackface controversy. If this had been brought up four years ago, Paine likely wouldn't have been captain. You can question why things are being brought up after so many years, but that doesn't absolve him of taking responsibility for his actions.

When I was in England in 2019 watching the Ashes,
the English kept singing the song

"We saw you cry on the telly, we saw you on the cry telly" to steve smith and warner.

Imagine if they weren't white!

Be interesting to see what it looks like in 20 years, reckon it will be a huge upward spike.
So we've gone from 'it's a crisis' to your predictions of a crisis.

The issue of mental health is complex; are more people suffering or are people now more willing to admit to mental health struggles? Either way, it's shouldn't be used for cheap political point scoring to diminish the pretty simple matter of someone being held to account for shitty behaviour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim Paine caught in sexting scandal, resigns as Test Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back