To those bagging Stevo...

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rewboy

Senior List
Feb 1, 2001
South of Saigon.
To those fools who are seemingly bagging Stevo after another tireless performance on Sunday, you obviously have very, very short memories.

He has been our best on baller in the past twenty years, racking up thousands of possessions, under severe duress and pressure all with the trademark grin.

The quality of his possessions remain high, his courage and determination unquestionalble as he peels himself from the turf after being pinned by another pack. He is quick with the decision, and we would not enjoy our riches we have been spoilt with if not for him.

He was voted winner of the ultimate footy survivor on this site only a 18 months ago and then we get to injuries. Knees, a cracked heelbone in the 99 GF which was polished off by ripping his bicep from the bone, another torn pec, the near life-ending neck and facial injury just to name a few, which wouldve finished mere mortals in a moment and not to mention the anguish of the infamous affair which couldve nearly mentally broke him.

He is a B&F winner, All australian rep, and a team of the century member, and continues to plunder away playing for his dear life at the level and skill required for success.

So, a quick message for all you clowns who want to have a scapegoat for our narrow loss because your 'babies' arent getting a match, why dont you peel yourself away from the nerdy sanctuary of the internet terminal where ridiculous stats and opinions rule, and have a look at the way this hero play's and conducts himself on and off the field. You might actually learn something.

There.

You're having a dig, so do it properly. You're saying "people" here so obviously you're talking about more than just Moti this time? So why dont you stop being so gutless and names name's?

On your point, what the f*ck does a player's history have to do with how one views that player's current form or a specific recent performance?

By all means, it should impact the way such criticisms or perceptions are delivered. Thats called respect.

But surely the opinion itself should be able to be formed independently of whether Stevo or anyone else has won X amount of B&F's, premierships, All Oz's etc or what their character is like?!?

I love Stevo as much as the next bloke. His place in our club's history is assured and deservedly so.

But i can also acknowledge that this year its all catching up with him and very quickly.

The loss of pace is tangible, and with it i honestly believe he has lost some of his intencity and that natural inclination to put defensive pressure on, in some instances anyway. He doesn't get to as many contests anymore and has at times been guilty of spectating instead of applying a block or sheppard or sometimes even a tackle.

And i completely disagree with your assertion regarding the quality of his possession and decision making. IMO he has made some horrible decisions with the ball, is increasingly taking far too long to make those decisions and has been letting us down often with terrible execution by hand and foot.

Yes, he still has some typically hard and tough sides to his game and by no means has he been awful all year. But he is nowhere near the player he used to be and in some regards we could do better with different players in his midfield field spot.

I personally wouldnt have him in my starting 4 in any center bounce with the way he's been playing the last month or so. Thats not to say though that i wouldnt have him in the team, but i can recognise when a bloke is either out of form, or not physically capable of certain roles anymore.

I've disagreed with you. Does that make me a "clown" also?

I go to at least 2 games of footy a week, average a training session every coupla weeks and am not shy at chatting to any of the blokes on our list or associated with our footy department. Am i part of the "nerdy sanctuary" also Rewboy just because i dont agree with half the bollox you sprout on here?

There.

Hail Stevo

I still believe Stevo has petrol tickets take him to the end of his contract playing it tough like we know Stevo can. :)
He is a quality guy that never diviates from the hard stuff ....half the reason I believe he isn't figuring as prominent is that our game style has changed and our typical 'hardness' overall has dried up over the course of the season.

Stevo's skills HAVE dropped off, no doubt about it, But his endeavour and courage stands unquestioned. Prefer to have Stevo waiting under Petrie and marshalling the team from the HFF
while rotating with Turtle/Shags/Wells/Jones

This year, Stevo has had almost double the hard ball gets of any North player. For that reason alone, I'm quite happy to let his disposal slide a bit.

Guys like Simpson and Robbins are players in the same vein to an extent, and at least when Simmo turns it over it's usually travelled a bit and gained some ground.

What pisses me off is the uncontested possessions that end up being turnovers, no excuse for it really. There's a few blokes that regularly turn it over at fairly close range (30 metres and under), and others that make stupid decisions that put other players under pressure no matter how accurate the kick. Often under no pressure.

That's the stuff that's gotta be stamped out.

Originally posted by Carlos

IMO he has made some horrible decisions with the ball, is increasingly taking far too long to make those decisions and has been letting us down often with terrible execution by hand and foot.

Yes, he still has some typically hard and tough sides to his game and by no means has he been awful all year. But he is nowhere near the player he used to be and in some regards we could do better with different players in his midfield field spot.

I personally wouldnt have him in my starting 4 in any center bounce with the way he's been playing the last month or so. Thats not to say though that i wouldnt have him in the team, but i can recognise when a bloke is either out of form, or not physically capable of certain roles anymore.

[/B]

This is the point that most people are trying to make. Yes, he has been a champion player and a true North legend. However, eventually all players are let down by their bodies and I believe that Stevo is no longer superior to Harris for example in contested situations. He is still good enough to play senior footy, but would benefit from either spending less time in the middle (perhaps played off the bench and coming on when the heat is off ala Paul Broderick in his last year at Richmond) or in a less demanding position (half back perhaps). Nobody is having a go at the bloke, just stating that he appears to no longer be capable of performing at the level required to be a top line midfielder. Carey is no longer capable of being a top line centre half forward either - all players eventually get let down by their bodies, otherwise they would play indefinitely! As far as people attending games, how the **** would you know whether they do or do not?

I've disagreed with you. Does that make me a "clown" also?

I go to at least 2 games of footy a week, average a training session every coupla weeks and am not shy at chatting to any of the blokes on our list or associated with our footy department. Am i part of the "nerdy sanctuary" also Rewboy just because i dont agree with half the bollox you sprout on here?

There.

Yes.........on both counts. You got to two games a week - dont you have a life on the weekend other than internet and footy?

Originally posted by The Rewboy
Yes.........on both counts. You got to two games a week - dont you have a life on the weekend other than internet and footy?

wats wrong with goin to watch 2 games of footy and been on the internet all weekend. its beta then work isnt it.

Thanks for your concern sweetheart.

(And thanks for attempting to retort my post with intelligent, informed reasoning as well. Not up to it perhaps digger? Can't talk footy unless it involves bagging Moti?)

I must have forgotten to add that apart from going to the footy every weekend, i also manage to fit in 2 residency gigs (meaning EVERY weekend) with my band EVERY Friday and Saturday nights at 2 great, (and might i add packed every week) pubs.

But that probably couldnt beat sitting at home smoking bongs and masterbating every time Moti posts another opinion for you to hang sh*t on could it?

But i'm curious Rew fing: it seems in your opinion that because i go to watch the North seniors every week as well as Port Melbourne as long as they're not on conflicting days (and the odd Richmond game for a laugh with my Richmond supporting best mate) and take the 15 or so minutes it takes me to contribute to the VFL reports on here for those who couldn't get there, you are deeming me as being a "clown" and a "nerd" with no life?

What a drip i must be for enjoying talking footy in my spare time!!

(Why are you here again by the way?)

Interesting perspective coming from a bloke who claims to be a fair dinkum, know-it-all supporter, yet only comes on here to tag another poster and contributes absolutely heck ALL contructive, educated or even remotely interesting view points. And to top it off, you're bagging me for enjoying going to the footy alot?!?!

Yeah, you've got it all going on haven't you champ?!? Life must be one big barrel of laughs!!

Do us all a favour and go and play with the traffic or something would you?

Thanks for your concern sweetheart.

(And thanks for attempting to retort my post with intelligent, informed reasoning as well. Not up to it perhaps digger? Can't talk footy unless it involves bagging Moti?)

I must have forgotten to add that apart from going to the footy every weekend, i also manage to fit in 2 residency gigs (meaning EVERY weekend) with my band EVERY Friday and Saturday nights at 2 great, (and might i add packed every week) pubs.

But that probably couldnt beat sitting at home smoking bongs and masterbating every time Moti posts another opinion for you to hang sh*t on could it?

But i'm curious Rew fing: it seems in your opinion that because i go to watch the North seniors every week as well as Port Melbourne as long as they're not on conflicting days (and the odd Richmond game for a laugh with my Richmond supporting best mate) and take the 15 or so minutes it takes me to contribute to the VFL reports on here for those who couldn't get there, you are deeming me as being a "clown" and a "nerd" with no life?

What a drip i must be for enjoying talking footy in my spare time!!

(Why are you here again by the way?)

Interesting perspective coming from a bloke who claims to be a fair dinkum, know-it-all supporter, yet only comes on here to tag another poster and contributes absolutely heck ALL contructive, educated or even remotely interesting view points. And to top it off, you're bagging me for enjoying going to the footy alot?!?!

Yeah, you've got it all going on haven't you champ?!? Life must be one big barrel of laughs!!

Do us all a favour and go and play with the traffic or something would you?

Well well well.........appears I have struck a nerve. You poor baby. If ou dont like it, ignore it. No need to get upset at what someone says over the internet!!

Well well well.........appears I have struck a nerve. You poor baby. If ou dont like it, ignore it. No need to get upset at what someone says over the internet!!
Whatever gets you through the night princess.

If thinking you've "struck nerves" is the thing that pushes your buttons, then perhaps its time to "get a life" perhaps?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the replay of the St Kilda game and paid close attention to Stevo's game - he reacted to Laids quarter time spray with gusto and was in and under all day - that said his disposals are crap

Beauty, a cat fight! Half a Stevo is still better than what we ve got running around in the magoo s. While we re arguing does anyone out there still think that Mick Martyn was any more than just an honest battler ? He s doing at Carlton what he always did for us. Not Much.

Remove this Banner Ad

To those bagging Stevo...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back