Live Event Toby Greene fronts the tribunal - Suspension appeal

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another example of the AFL's incompetence at managing conflicts of interest. You can't put two ex Cwood players on a tribunal here without creating a perception of conflict regardless of whether they were actually conflicted in their decision.

Grounds for appeal on that basis alone.

Totally amateurish by Gil and co.
Be careful where you are going sunshine - ‘an appearance of impartiality is in itself an essential component of procedural fairness. Even so, the threshold of finding perceived bias is as high as where actual bias is alleged. Whenever an allegation of bias or a reasonable apprehension of bias is made, the adjudicative integrity not only of the individual judge but of the entire administration of justice is called into question’.

What do you want? Zoomed in x 5000?
Maybe just new eyes?

I couldn’t hang anyone, From any club on that vision.

And I’ve said it plenty of times, if he gouged, I’d want him banned for a long time.

You did see how aggressive the Lions came out Saturday night - even giving up a free kick after the opening goal so as to prove “how tough they were” which cost them the game?

Yes, and if they didn't.. GWS would have done the same thing they did to the Dogs. Lions matched the aggression.

The tribunal are supposed to look at this incident in isolation. What happened last week shouldn't have crossed their minds in the slightest.

It doesn't bother you that when actual contact was made last week it was just a fine, but when it's alleged (with no proof, and everyone involved deny it happened) it's a week off? Doesn't the inconsistency bother you?

Or do you not care because you think Toby Greene is a dickhead?
I think he's a dickhead too, but ultimately I just want the AFL to not be so inconsistent on decisions. I want them to stop being the incompetent organisation they are.
Of course it bothers me. But he should never had put himself in this position. Not the smartest going around.

A 2d video does not show that. Ever heard of false perspective.
The victim even confirmed it.
Whatever, my view is that the video does show the fingers of the left hand clearly dragging over the eyes. If you think otherwise and want to argue ‘perspective’ then fine. Testimony from players can be judged to be accurate or inaccurate. Inaccuracy may be due to a faulty memory or a deliberate attempt to mislead. I can only assume Neale’s testimony appears to have been judged as being inaccurate for one of those reasons - in which case he certainly wouldn’t be the first and probably won’t be the last.

Maybe just new eyes?

I couldn’t hang anyone, From any club on that vision.

And I’ve said it plenty of times, if he gouged, I’d want him banned for a long time.
Reiwoldt and Treloar On Fox now saying they have never ever come across ‘face palming’ in AFL. There goes that defence and the equally ludicrous ‘subtle niggling’ assertion.

Yes, and if they didn't.. GWS would have done the same thing they did to the Dogs. Lions matched the aggression.
Well they exceeded it, and cost themselves the game.

And I don’t think this is a Leon Cameron initiative. He’s not that smart.

Reiwoldt and Treloar On Fox now saying they have never ever come across ‘face palming’ in AFL. There goes that defence and the equally ludicrous ‘subtle niggling’ assertion.
I don’t believe them.

Wait, I just saw that close up video. How are people possibly defending that? The contact wasn’t massive but he clearly was scratching around the eye region, not the nose. What’s he even doing with his hands there in the first place?

A 2d video does not show that. Ever heard of false perspective.
The victim even confirmed it.

On this logic the tribunal won't ever be able to suspend anyone, because 2d video isn't perfect. In fact all of our senses are also fallible. How can we be sure what we're seeing is even real? Sorry guys we can't be sure, let everyone off!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On what ground? You need new evidance
Nope. There's more grounds for appeal than new evidence.

(E) AN APPEAL OF A DECISION OF THE TRIBUNAL
A Player or the AFL General Manager – Football Operations may appeal the decision of the Tribunal to the Appeal Board on one or more of the following grounds:
»»An error of law has occurred;
»»The decision of the Tribunal is so unreasonable that no Tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it;
»»The classification of the offence by the Tribunal was manifestly excessive or inadequate; or
»»The sanction imposed by the Tribunal was manifestly excessive or inadequate.

On this logic the tribunal won't ever be able to suspend anyone, because 2d video isn't perfect. In fact all of our senses are also fallible. How can we be sure what we're seeing is even real? Sorry guys we can't be sure, let everyone off!
He who smelt it is not the one that dealt it?

An appeal is a must, basically this circus will continue but it should have rightfully been put aside based on all the evidence against the charge

The most brief, softest hand movement
Insufficient video footage
Neale stated no eye contact (basically called a liar)
No prior incidents were to be considered

As silly as Greene is at times, this is the most heavy handed sanction I can honestly recall

To have all these Ex C'Wood players adjudicating here is a terrible conflict of interest. Perception for the AFL is bad. It actually appears corrupt. When none of the characters involved give evidence to the contrary of a not guilty verdict and still you are found guilty that is a corrupt process by any measure. Having two QC's involved makes a mockery of the whole episode and in particular JUSTICE. It taints the games to be played this week-end and still Cotchin got to play we must not forget that and there have been others. No Justice here for anybody especially the supporters of all Teams in this competition.

A Player or the AFL General Manager – Football Operations may appeal the decision of the Tribunal to the Appeal Board on one or more of the following grounds:
»»The decision of the Tribunal is so unreasonable that no Tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it;
»»The classification of the offence by the Tribunal was manifestly excessive or inadequate; or
Could go quite easily with the 2nd,3rd or 4th. Particularly no.2

I kept thinking what if Pendlebury did it? Would he get off. It’s suppose to be a pure case with no actions of the past taken into account.

But then I woke up to it. Pendlebury doesn’t do this crap. He doesn’t jump on top of a player already wrapped up by 2 of his team mates to then try and do god knows what to his face.

The blokes a knob and deserves everything he gets.

You did see how aggressive the Lions came out Saturday night - even giving up a free kick after the opening goal so as to prove “how tough they were” which cost them the game?

You think that that particular incident was the one thing that cost us the game? Please. Our inside 50 entries/ The elite marking and positioning of Haynes and Davis ultimately cost us the game. I won’t mention the umpiring/Charlie getting injured very early on/ Thug Greene being allowed to play etc. as excuses, because we had our chances to win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cameron is a bigger idiot than Greene.

After winning the Lotto last week at the Tribunal, Cameron comes out with a "we want Toby to continue being aggressive" statement

In other words Cameron gave Grub Greene the grub green light to continue with his face mauling "tactics"

And now the chooks have come home to roost.

I agree - I blame Leon Cameron more than Greene. Greene has been a grub for 5 years. Cameron could have stamped this out ages ago if he wanted to. He didn't want to - Greene's giving him exactly what he wants. And by the way, let's not forget Jeremy Cameron likes a good old snipe as well.

They can only argue the second point “so unreasonable” in which case they’d have to be essentially arguing that deibrate eye gouging is not worth a week or that the footage is not clear enough of what happen. A bit hard to do when they stripped back the entire footage and were able to tell a story about it for an hour and a half in his defence.

GWS cannot argue the footage is not conclusive as they themselves used the footage to build their case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back