Analysis Toby McLean's Stratospheric Rise to Awesomeness

Remove this Banner Ad

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have prepared an in-depth analysis of Toby's recent form but before i delve into the numbers, check out this chart;

upload_2017-8-11_11-5-23.png

Says it all really...anyways on to the real stuff;

Getting the Pill:
2016: 17.33 Disposals per game, 1.86 Intercept Possessions
2017: 21.93 Disposals per game, 3.1 Intercept Possessions
Last 7 weeks: 25.57 Disposals per game, 4 Intercept Possessions

Attacking the Contest:
2016: 7.46 Contested Possessions, 2.53 Tackles, 11.66 Pressure Acts
2017: 8.75 Contested Possessions, 4.5 Tackles, 18.12 Pressure Acts
Last 7: 11.71 Contested Possessions, 5 Tackles, 18.28 Pressure Acts

Extraction:
2016: 1.46 Clearances, 0 Centre, 1.46 Stoppage
2017: 2.87 Clearances, 0.68 Centre, 2.18 Stoppage
Last 7: 4.28 Clearances, 0.85 Centre, 3.42 Stoppage

Distribution and Scoreboard Impact
2016: 1.73 Inside 50's, 3 Goal Assists (Total), 5.2 Score Involvements, 14 Goals (Total)
2017: 3.5 Inside 50's, 8 Goal Assists (Total), 6.37 Score Involvements, 12 Goals (Total)
Last 7: 4 Inside 50's, 3 Goal Assists (Total), 7.85 Score Involvements, 5 Goals (Total)

We have all witnessed with our eyes the improvement he has made in the last few weeks and the numbers back it up.

If you extrapolate his numbers from the last 7 weeks and put it into a 22 week season, it would look something like this;

550+ Disposals, 85+ Clearances, 85+ Tackles, 85+ Inside 50's, 15+ Goals

Players who achieved this in 2016:
Gibbs, Dangerfield, Gray, Mitchell, Kennedy, Parker

Players on track to achieve this in 2017:
Zorko, Gibbs, Treloar, Dangerfield, Kelly, Martin, Kennedy

For a skinny little 21yo he is in the rarest of air at the moment.

I believe he will keep getting better, Scrag City has always believed...do you?

And yet he'll never get recognition by non-Bulldogs because 'oh he ducks' when he's getting that out of his game and the umpires rarely ever give him a free when he cops an actual clothesline.

I have prepared an in-depth analysis of Toby's recent form but before i delve into the numbers, check out this chart;

View attachment 402426

Getting the Pill:

Attacking the Contest:

Extraction:

2016: 1.73 Inside 50's, 3 Goal Assists (Total), 5.2 Score Involvements, 14 Goals (Total)
2017: 3.5 Inside 50's, 8 Goal Assists (Total), 6.37 Score Involvements, 12 Goals (Total)
Last 7: 4 Inside 50's, 3 Goal Assists (Total), 7.85 Score Involvements, 5 Goals (Total)

We have all witnessed with our eyes the improvement he has made in the last few weeks and the numbers back it up.

If you extrapolate his numbers from the last 7 weeks and put it into a 22 week season, it would look something like this;

I like the OP Wally (indeed I like most of your posts).
Love the chart too. Scrag's credibility on this board has followed much the same trajectory.

I'm a great fan of McLean but I'm wary of extrapolating a short burst of form and drawing conclusions from it. I know there's a little bit of tongue-in-cheek in the OP but the underlying point is a good one.

Not saying Toby won't get there but I'm just enjoying it "one week at a time", as they say. He's definitely a very good player on a sharp rise. Pretty soon even the so-called experts in the media will start to notice and begin talking about it too. Quite rightly, if belatedly.

Most players and clubs have bursts of good form and periods of not-so-good form. The really stratospherically awesome ones do it for a whole season with barely a blip (Voss, Judd, Ablett, Danger, Kennedy, Martin and we're starting to see it in Bontempelli too). The last seven games contain five matches that have been among our easiest of the season. Well done to Toby for starring in those games but I want to see if he can maintain that uptick of form for the next seven games of 2017, especially if the opposition analysts start putting work into him.

If he can, I'm not just a fan but a devotee!

And yet he'll never get recognition by non-Bulldogs because 'oh he ducks' when he's getting that out of his game and the umpires rarely ever give him a free when he cops an actual clothesline.

I don't think he really has tbh, but nor do I want him to. If he ducks into one and doesn't get a free for too high, his arms are still free and allows him to dispose of the ball. Big part of his ability on the inside.

I like the OP Wally (indeed I like most of your posts).
Love the chart too. Scrag's credibility on this board has followed much the same trajectory.

I'm a great fan of McLean but I'm wary of extrapolating a short burst of form and drawing conclusions from it. I know there's a little bit of tongue-in-cheek in the OP but the underlying point is a good one.

Not saying Toby won't get there but I'm just enjoying it "one week at a time", as they say. He's definitely a very good player on a sharp rise. Pretty soon even the so-called experts in the media will start to notice and begin talking about it too. Quite rightly, if belatedly.

Most players and clubs have bursts of good form and periods of not-so-good form. The really stratospherically awesome ones do it for a whole season with barely a blip (Voss, Judd, Ablett, Danger, Kennedy, Martin and we're starting to see it in Bontempelli too). The last seven games contain five matches that have been among our easiest of the season. Well done to Toby for starring in those games but I want to see if he can maintain that uptick of form for the next seven games of 2017, especially if the opposition analysts start putting work into him.

If he can, I'm not just a fan but a devotee!
Thanks DW...you are dead right about cherry picking stats against weak opposition but it was one game in particular during that 7 week stretch that has converted me into a true believer.

It was the Crows game when we were on the road, in the cold and wet, getting belted against the best side of 2017 thus far and he stood out for his uncompromising courage and will to win. Young players have the tendency to be flat track bullies when the going is good but go missing when the real heat is on (The two Bailey's)...not this bloke though.

Career highs in possessions, contested possessions, clearances, tackles and intercept possessions on a night when he could have packed it in like the majority of them did was magnificent.

I think he gained the most important thing that night...belief that he belonged. I think the coaches believe too. Seven weeks ago he played 69% of the game. It has slowly been on the rise, 82% against Essendon and a career high 85% last week.

I'm riding shotgun with Scrag mate, I'm all in!

View attachment 402426

Getting the Pill:

Attacking the Contest:

Extraction:

Should be Scrag and myself but whatever.

The last seven games contain five matches that have been among our easiest of the season.
Easiest... because Toby starred in them :cool:

Easiest... because Toby starred in them :cool:
Haha ... but no.

This was not "after the fact". When we first looked at the 2017 fixture the last four games were seen as a likely stretch of wins ... and I've added in the Norf game. They didn't all turn out easy (even the Norf one, FFS!) and as the season progressed the Essendon game obviously became a bigger challenge.

Anyway we'll have a better idea when we see how Toby goes over the next few weeks. Especially if he gets a bit more attention from his opponents of the sort that Bont and JJ get regularly.
I'm confident he'll do well - Wally's point about the Adelaide game was relevant.

We've definitely got a good one there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside footy has given him a season average of 6.0625. Removing his poor game against Melbourne, his average is 6.33 and he has had eight games this season rated a 7 or higher.

Inside footy has given him a season average of 6.0625. Removing his poor game against Melbourne, his average is 6.33 and he has had eight games this season rated a 7 or higher.
An average of 6.33.

I can only assume the maximum points available are 6.34

For those playing at home, the sample size increased to 10 consistent games in a row with the only drop off in goals (1 from last 3 games).

A big pre-season from the lad and i think he can join the comp's best young players. Judging from Bevo's reaction in the box to his banana kick under pressure that went out on the full against Hawthorn (expletive, expletive, left foot, expletive...i believe it was) Tobes may need to work on his opposite side a bit!

Overall a great season from the young man and am i alone in thinking he might snag a Top 3 position in the B&F???

Also apologies to Wizard17. You need to be more rambunctious in the future bud, Scrag kinda drowned you out. I'm happy for you to take my spot as Shotgun, as long as i am somewhere on the bandwagon i don't mind! The kid is a jet

Love the kid and he can work in a phone box. Always remember chatting to that lonely looking kid at his first Social Club Christmas party. My only concern about him playing in the guts being that he is just so small and could get rag dolled if they get a hold of him.

Love the kid and he can work in a phone box. Always remember chatting to that lonely looking kid at his first Social Club Christmas party. My only concern about him playing in the guts being that he is just so small and could get rag dolled if they get a hold of him.
He's just so elusive though isn't he. Just when i think he is about to get annihilated in a pack, he emerges ball in hand. Just a natural footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back