Confirmed Tom Barrass & 2025 F4 (WCE) traded to Hawthorn for 2025 F1, F2 & F3 (all Haw)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm actually shocked this deal will be the last one to get over the line if at all. Before the trades started seemed like one of the easiest to knock out in the first few days.

I'm actually shocked this deal will be the last one to get over the line if at all. Before the trades started seemed like one of the easiest to knock out in the first few days.

The only spanner in the works is Hawthorn jumping up to 6th after it looked for a while like they would be an unlucky non finalist. So you got pick 14 instead of maybe pick 9 or 10. Not a game changer. Hawthorn's last game was over a month ago. This should have been sorted by now.

The only spanner in the works is Hawthorn jumping up to 6th after it looked for a while like they would be an unlucky non finalist. So you got pick 14 instead of maybe pick 9 or 10. Not a game changer. Hawthorn's last game was over a month ago. This should have been sorted by now.
After all you have seen over last 10 days, if we had pick 9 or 10, any deal would have required pick 26 back. Your amateur LM would have thought MM will fold, MM would have traded 9 or 10 for 19+22+F1+xx.

We would be at same spot where eagles fans feel entitled to all of MM's hustle and more. Hopefully your LM has learnt a few lessons by end of the day.

Im shocked. Will be the last one through now apparently.
I'd find it hard to believe that Barass will be the last deal done when the Bulldogs are currently involved in Bailey Smith, Matt Kennedy, Jack Macrae and Xavier O'Halloran trades.

If all those get done while the Barass deal stagnated, everyone should be sacked 😂

As a WC fan I have no idea what our actual strategy is or what we want from Hawthorn in this trade specifically.

I can only assume we want Haw H1 + Carl F1 for Barrass + our F2 or similar, or, we don't intend to trade Barrass. Maybe I am in the minority but I don't think this trade makes sense for either side unless Hawthorn believe they are a top 4 cert next year. They are a chance but not enough exposed form to trade out a F1 pick just expecting it to be 15+. Every year good teams slide and teams you expect to take a leap forward don't. But then if they think 2023 was ahead of the curve and they might be mid table in 2024 and contending a year or two later (like Freo in recent years) then trading for Barrass doesn't make sense in the first place. That being said I'll obviously be cheering against any team that trades us a future pick.

Based on current 2024 draft order repeating the trade above would be 11 + 13 for Barrass and 21 before those picks become whatever they become. If Hawthorn are doing that deal (basically 14 + F1 for Barrass + Carl F2 + WC F2) they would be banking on their original draft hand next year going from 15 and 35 ish to 25 (WC) + 30-35 (Carl). If it is Barrass + F3 for F1 + F2 then that's one pick that will probably be 15-20 and an upgrade from 45 to 40. Gross.

If we're just looking for F1 + F2 or F1 + multiple F2s or whatever we are idiots. Who cares about picks that are going to be 30-40+? Carlton were happy to trade F1 + F2 just to get pick 14 this year. If we don't plan on trading Barrass at all (which aligns with our other stupid moves) then why are the clubs still discussing it?

I fully expect us to get a deal done today that is worse than just pick 14 on its own. And then we will come out and make a statement about how much we care about Tom Barrass and the commitment we made to him to get him where he wants.

As a Hawk fan I’d support a future 1st and F2 of the eagles choice.

I do believe that’s paying overs for a 29/30 year old, but it’s what you do when a player is contracted.

The F1 and F2 2025 are hard to judge! Some say a worse draft than 2024, yet I say the last compromised draft before Tassie enters! Plus the 2025 draft year has another year of development left yet!

All the talk was 1st one to go through. Now a 29 year old who checked out 2 months ago is the last?

Just crazy poor management.

Hopefully we are putting this aside and seeing what we R1 picks we can get from Richmond with our Future picks.

All the talk was 1st one to go through. Now a 29 year old who checked out 2 months ago is the last?

Just crazy poor management.

Hopefully we are putting this aside and seeing what we R1 picks we can get from Richmond with our Future picks.
I did hear we wanted to trade back in. I'd imagine we'd want to wait until Barass is done though otherwise the Eagles will just ask for whatever we get from Richmond.

As a Hawk fan I’d support a future 1st and F2 of the eagles choice.

I do believe that’s paying overs for a 29/30 year old, but it’s what you do when a player is contracted.

The F1 and F2 2025 are hard to judge! Some say a worse draft than 2024, yet I say the last compromised draft before Tassie enters! Plus the 2025 draft year has another year of development left yet!

I wouldn't do this but then I wouldn't do anything WC have done so far.

It's an aside but future pick trading is another thing the AFL have got wrong to go with free agency, draft bidding and basically every single aspect of list management.

Clubs should able to trade pick swaps as they do in other competitions that are run by professionals.

I originally thought the trade of 14 by the Hawks was done in conjunction with what WC wants, turns out that couldnt be more wrong by the look.

Maybe playing funny buggers with the team who's contracted player you are trying to sign, and who also showed a fair bit of good will your way last year, might not have been the greatest strategy to get a deal done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I originally thought the trade of 14 by the Hawks was done in conjunction with what WC wants, turns out that couldnt be more wrong by the look.

Maybe playing funny buggers with the team who's contracted player you are trying to sign, and who also showed a fair bit of good will your way last year, might not have been the greatest strategy to get a deal done
Sorry but who showed who good will last year?

Fairly certain we gifted you Brockman without so much putting up a fuss because we had the player’s welfare in mind.

Clearly this isn’t the case with how your club views it’s connection to Barrass.

What good will our way?

hawks were the ones showing the good will. Not walking a player to PSD is not goodwill.

Taking unders on a young player with young family wanting to go back home is goodwill after the club bent over backwards to help him through his troubles.

Sorry but who showed who good will last year?

Fairly certain we gifted you Brockman without so much putting up a fuss because we had the player’s welfare in mind.

Clearly this isn’t the case with how your club views it’s connection to Barrass.

What good will our way?

hawks were the ones showing the good will. Not walking a player to PSD is not goodwill.

Taking unders on a young player with young family wanting to go back home is goodwill after the club bent over backwards to help him through his troubles.

Screenshot_20241016_124056_Brave.jpg

We all talking about the same guy?

Why has it got to this stage 🤔. Not getting a third back is bollocks!

No one really knows but when you consider the Hawks are not desperate after having one of the best functioning backlines in the back half of the season, got Battle, Barrass’s age and questions around his body ….. yes I do realise his contract.

I reckon it’s got to a stalemate because Hawks don’t want to offer more than a future first. Eagles want two future firsts or a future first with a second ……. gap is big between clubs.

Was that their way of hoping Tigers walk back demand for pick14 instead of directly talking that out to them?

And then realising they messed up & covering it up with pick 3 trade when Tigers invited Blues in on the GB.
They want future picks

He averaged 10 touches, 2 tackles and about a goal a game at Hawthorn.

Obviously hope im wrong, but maybe that's just him?

Quality > quantity with Tyler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Tom Barrass & 2025 F4 (WCE) traded to Hawthorn for 2025 F1, F2 & F3 (all Haw)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back