Confirmed Tom Barrass & 2025 F4 (WCE) traded to Hawthorn for 2025 F1, F2 & F3 (all Haw)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think it’ll be any later than 14, so from our pov that’s already a huge win, plus we banked the second on top. Original deal was 14 and F3 I think, so we’ve come out well ahead of that. F*cked the pick 3 trade but this one I think we’ve won.
We traded 14 for a F1, F2 so it’s really the same. Except its hawthorns instead of Carlton’s. Next years is a weaker draft too. It’s largely just the same deal that was offered day 1 of trade period.

We heard this one when Brian Lake joined.
I said the same when Burgoyne joined :embarrassedv1:

So Close Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

How lmao? The deal we ended up with is better than the original offer a week ago.
In fairness, we've been offering your choice of F1 and F2 since last week (I.e. what we got for pick 14) and the Eagles have kept saying they want 2 firsts. In the end, you've basically taken what the offer was all along.

With that said, I do think it was probably still a slight overpay given he is 29 and regularly misses footy. I'd love him to end yp like Burgoyne of course but the likelihood is well probably get 50 good games before age starts diminishing his returns.

“Two firsts or he stays”
Wasn’t really far off though was it? F2 and F3 combined definitely aren’t worth a first rounder quality wise, but it’s an extra pick for nothing so it remains to be seen which turns out better (can be used in additional trades, two shots instead of one etc).

Campo twins are very good players
They and pick 3 will still only rookies. If pick 3 just matches Kennedy's output last year they would be ecstatic.
They may be good players in time but for next year I think they have weakened their team

Both clubs got what they needed.

Hawks get a missing piece to the puzzle to release Sicily/Hardwick/Weddle depending on who we play.

Eagles get more picks in to help with their rebuild (insert joke about more players to go alongside their pick 3).

Everybody is happy.

Not every trade has to have a clear winner.

Hawks are in a position to gun for a flag in 2025 with Gunston/Breust/Sicily still playing good footy.

Let's get it done.

Feels like a pretty big price to pay for Barrass. A big chunk of their 2025 draft going to the Eagles, could potentially bite them if they drop a bit down the ladder rather than rise next season.

That's the cost of having a crack though, you've got to take the gamble.

Wasn’t really far off though was it? F2 and F3 combined definitely aren’t worth a first rounder quality wise, but it’s an extra pick for nothing so it remains to be seen which turns out better (can be used in additional trades, two shots instead of one etc).

Hey? Now you're starting to get a little silly. A late second and a tiny pick upgrade at the end of the draft is nothing like a first. If any club tried to trade those two picks for a first rounder, they'd be laughed out of the room.

Feels like a pretty big price to pay for Barrass. A big chunk of their 2025 draft going to the Eagles, could potentially bite them if they drop a bit down the ladder rather than rise next season.

We still have Carlton's 1st and 2nd picks for next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Medium risk for big reward imo.

Worst case scenario I think we finish as low as 11th, best case we jag a flag.

Only way the 11th result occurs is if we are absolutely cruelled by injury in our midfield because we now have great depth in both our forward and back lines.

You do realise if we both finish in the same positions next season those 3rd and 4th rounders will be about 7 picks apart in the 50s ?

They and pick 3 will still only rookies. If pick 3 just matches Kennedy's output last year they would be ecstatic.
They may be good players in time but for next year I think they have weakened their team
what they did win at was clearing cap space by moving on list cloggers including Martin. they only need these kids to get 10-15 possies a game and they will have done their job but what Carlton really need now is a Max Watson type small forward.

Medium risk for big reward imo.

Worst case scenario I think we finish as low as 11th, best case we jag a flag.

Only way the 11th result occurs is if we are absolutely cruelled by injury in our midfield because we now have great depth in both our forward and back lines.
Question marks on our key forward stocks especially as Lewis won't be back until at best later in the year

what they did win at was clearing cap space by moving on list cloggers including Martin. they only need these kids to get 10-15 possies a game and they will have done their job but what Carlton really need now is a Max Watson type small forward.
Who tf is Max Watson?

Don't mean Nick Watson by any chance?

And if you do, every club needs a player like the Wiz 🧙‍♂️

Hey? Now you're starting to get a little silly. A late second and a tiny pick upgrade at the end of the draft is nothing like a first. If any club tried to trade those two picks for a first rounder, they'd be laughed out of the room.
Value wise? Definitely not the same, as I said in my post. But quantity over quality sometimes works out better so it remains to be seen which was the better deal

Question marks on our key forward stocks especially as Lewis won't be back until at best later in the year
True but with Battle and Barass down back, we can now throw Weddle and Sicily forward when needed. Hardwick can also kick bags up forward if needed.

I am just mildly salivating over the idea of Weddle running an absolute muck next year.

Not to state the obvious, but the quality of the trade to some extent will be judged by the quality of this year's draft that West Coast is somewhat missing out on + if there's a significant difference btwn Hawthorn's and Carlton's ladder position next season.

Regarding getting futures rather than currents, while I think the "capital for Chad Warner" reasoning stinks, possibly next year's NGAs/father sons for West Coast make stacking up capital for next year look better. New DVI a factor.

You have the worst of the two and no firsts this year. Essentially traded your own F1 (which could well be an early pick) and F3 for Barrass. Much better than 14 on its own.
U got fleeced everytime crazy clarkey and dopey don entered a trade room m8
But then maybe Owies breaks the 50 goal barrier next year and all will be forgiven

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Tom Barrass & 2025 F4 (WCE) traded to Hawthorn for 2025 F1, F2 & F3 (all Haw)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back