Confirmed Tom Barrass & 2025 F4 (WCE) traded to Hawthorn for 2025 F1, F2 & F3 (all Haw)

Remove this Banner Ad

U got fleeced everytime crazy clarkey and dopey don entered a trade room m8
But then maybe Owies breaks the 50 goal barrier next year and all will be forgiven
In what way did we get fleeced in the Barrass trade? Hawks F2 instead of Carlton’s F1. Good chance those are a lot closer than they were this year.

In what way did we get fleeced in the Barrass trade? Hawks F2 instead of Carlton’s F1. Good chance those are a lot closer than they were this year.
Agree it wasn’t as bad but it’s technically the same as what thru originally offered
If you accepted 14 you would have still kept 3 to get a better deal than you did with Carlton

You think Hawthorn are going backwards with Battlw and Barrass coming in?

Agree it wasn’t as bad but it’s technically the same as what thru originally offered
If you accepted 14 you would have still kept 3 to get a better deal than you did with Carlton
Works out about the same anyway. Split 3 for Hawks F1, 12 and Owies, Barrass for Baker and F2.. if you want to put it that way.

Still not what I’d prefer with the Baker trade, Id definitely prefer Barrass over Baker, but it’s far from a disaster overall. Underwhelming, sure, but not terrible, especially if Hawks shit the bed next season and turn that pick into a top 10.

You think Hawthorn are going backwards with Battlw and Barrass coming in?
Not to mention our 2023 b & f winner Will Day missed a sizeable chunk of the season and when he was on the park we looked near unstoppable.

Add in another season of experience to Watson (pick 5), Ward (pick 7), Mackenzie (pick 7), Mc Donald (pick 26) and Weddle (pick 18) who are all under 21 and absolutely ready to explode in 2025.

Not to state the obvious, but the quality of the trade to some extent will be judged by the quality of this year's draft that West Coast is somewhat missing out on + if there's a significant difference btwn Hawthorn's and Carlton's ladder position next season.

Regarding getting futures rather than currents, while I think the "capital for Chad Warner" reasoning stinks, possibly next year's NGAs/father sons for West Coast make stacking up capital for next year look better. New DVI a factor.

This trade should be viewed in isolation. It's Barrass and 63 for 3 future picks. FWIW I don't see Hawthorn meaningfully moving up or down next year. They overachieved this year and could easily fall off but the comp is pretty even from about 14th and up. Unless they have a catastrophic injury crisis they aren't keeping us company. And they just added two good players with a clear view to being better next season.

Hawthorn traded pick 14 last week. This trade could've been done before we traded pick 3 for magic beans.

I would much rather have had pick 3 and Hawthorn's future picks before doing other trades. Regardless of that is what we got for Barrass significantly better or worse than other confirmed offers? Unless it involves two firsts (or a first and some pick this year with a known value) then all of the suggested trades are much of a muchness I reckon.

If our entire strategy was to get as much of Hawthorn's future in exchange for a key position player that makes them immediately better then... yeah I have not words.

We're not going back. So many of our younger players got games into them - the only thing lacked was a genuine key defender which we made up by using intercept defenders in the role - now they will be free - the mids will get better and we get Mitch Lewis back to lead the forward line - should have chosen the Blues picks - we are not going back
Whilst I expect Hawks to improve next season, both Carlton and Freo would've been thinking the exact same thing the past couple of seasons.

Time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like a pretty big price to pay for Barrass. A big chunk of their 2025 draft going to the Eagles, could potentially bite them if they drop a bit down the ladder rather than rise next season.

That's the cost of having a crack though, you've got to take the gamble.
They do have a 1st and a 2nd next year, just not theirs.

Most players will improve: Day, Dear, Watson, Newcombe, Weddle, Ginni, MacDonald, Massimo, Mackenzie and Ward are all under 25. Worpel and Moore are 25. Meek, Scrimshaw, Nash and Battle are 26.

Only 3 best 22 players are older than 27 (Amon, Impey and Sicily) and none are over 30.

Add Battle, Barass and Day to a team that was a post away from a prelim.

They won't drop off.

Sent from my SM-A156E using Tapatalk

Still waiting for the 2 Firsts Merchants to take the longest walk back

Red faces and tails between legs of the highest order

An absolute steal

Happens all the time with young sides. Will wait to see how they react to being the hunted, where clubs are prepared for them, instead of living off vibes.
We might be young but there not in terms of matches played. Alot of are in that 50-100 games ballpark. If anything were getting more mature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Tom Barrass & 2025 F4 (WCE) traded to Hawthorn for 2025 F1, F2 & F3 (all Haw)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back