Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks aren’t desperate for TB’s services and will only do a deal if it’s a fair one.

Currently Hawks backline is doing quite well, Blanck is coming back from injury and we have high hopes with our first rounder from last year Will McCabe who looks promising as a 197cm athletic type.

View attachment 2079296
Realistically McCabe as is the case with most young KPDs, is probably not a real option until closer to 2027.

Is Blanck + Frost a premiership winning KPD combo?

I think you guys have displayed enough interest in McKay last year and Barrass now to prove without a doubt that you are desperate for KPD like Barrass

So he's out again this week? Gotta protect that trade asset.
We don't need him this week. All Carlton forwards listed with "Heart" on the AFL injuries page.

At this rate if he goes to the HFC next year chance they will finish on top after having 24 forfeits, he's that good.

He has them running scared = two 1st rounders.

Pay up.

If course they're not obligated. They've made massive overtures though, so I expect they'll stump up something reasonable.

I wouldn't expect WCE to go full Geelong either
Can you point me to where the Hawks made massive overtures? Or are you talking about the catch up Sam had with him in the west that surely would have to have been given the green light by the Eagles!

Can you point me to where the Hawks made massive overtures? Or are you talking about the catch up Sam had with him in the west that surely would have to have been given the green light by the Eagles!
Coaches meet up with players all the time.

According to Schofield and Mark Readings after Barrass meet with Mitchell, he said some coaches meet up to 20+ players every year to see if they want to shift.

It's not exactly unusual.

What's 'unusual' is flying the opposite direction from home to meet with a player when you need to get home with the team and prepare for the next match.

Could've done a Zoom call but Mitchell preferred to meet Barras directly.

Regardless of whether it's 'green-lit' by the Eagles or not, you still need to make an effort to get the player to commit to your club.

Mitchell's clearly done that and clearly that's his MO when targeting potential trades into Hawthorn.

Realistically McCabe as is the case with most young KPDs, is probably not a real option until closer to 2027.

Is Blanck + Frost a premiership winning KPD combo?

I think you guys have displayed enough interest in McKay last year and Barrass now to prove without a doubt that you are desperate for KPD like Barrass

Desperate …… maybe last year and previous years but not now.

Frost this year is a changed man. I can’t recall one Frostball, kamikaze moment, bad turnover that resulted in a goal ……. previous years he was doing this at least once or twice a week. I think Sam and the coaches have simplified his role and he is in career best form. Hasn’t had many goals kicked on him, looks measured, tough as nails and has won over plenty of Hawk fans this year. A big surprise to be honest.

Blanck has pretty much started his AFL career showed some good signs as a FB last year. You would expect more growth/improvement with more games. Very competitive individual. Big unit.

You’re right McCabe not ready yet but you’re just guessing with 27 …… take a look at Dear as an example. There is not one Hawk fan that predicted what he is doing as a KPF.

I believe that the main reason for chasing Barrass or another KPD is to release Weddle to other areas of the ground as this kid has the tools to play anywhere.

Last edited:
Coaches meet up with players all the time.

According to Schofield and Mark Readings after Barrass meet with Mitchell, he said some coaches meet up to 20+ players every year to see if they want to shift.

It's not exactly unusual.

What's 'unusual' is flying the opposite direction from home to meet with a player when you need to get home with the team and prepare for the next match.

Could've done a Zoom call but Mitchell preferred to meet Barras directly.

Regardless of whether it's 'green-lit' by the Eagles or not, you still need to make an effort to get the player to commit to your club.

Mitchell's clearly done that and clearly that's his MO when targeting potential trades into Hawthorn.
My point being that why would the Eagles agree for a player contracted for the next 3 years to meet with an opposition coach if they weren’t keen to trade him out?

My point being that why would the Eagles agree for a player contracted for the next 3 years to meet with an opposition coach if they weren’t keen to trade him out?
Huh? Who said they 'agreed'?

I just told you that coaches meet with players all the time, doesn't mean those meetings are club sanctioned. That's just the landscape of player movement these days.

Huh? Who said they 'agreed'?

I just told you that coaches meet with players all the time, doesn't mean those meetings are club sanctioned. That's just the landscape of player movement these days.
Who said they didn’t?
Anyway the trade will be what it’ll be I just hope the Hawks no when to walk.

Yeah all very interesting

My mail had TB as the senior eagle sending messages about simmo which lead to his dismissal, along with a few Ls on the way

Was after the Hawks embarrassed us from memory

Anyway, Sammy would have a good relationship with a bunch of Eagles and if you were looking for another premiership, chances are Hawks get there before Eagles

He is a gun player, probably on par with McGovern these days. Nice coupe for the Hawks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4th worst one on one defender in the comp this year

I'm not actually sure he is exactly what we need
This is where I think the "eye test" trumps stats.

Barrass has officially been in about 2 contested defence 1 v 1s per game this season. Last few years it's been around 3. But I think you'd have to have rocks in your head to think that those 2-3 moments per game wholly encapsulates defending your matchup. And sure he performs poorly in that metric, but like the difference btwn someone who performs good in it vs someone who performs poorly in it is probably like 5 shots a season. Not exactly the be all and end all.

Might also be role dependent: as he's become more of an interceptor and potentially leading the backline more, it's probably natural that he's gonna be caught "late" to matchups because his role requires him to do a lot more babysitting than it did in the past, when he performed well in that metric.

That's not me making a hard call on what quality of defender he is. But I think that metric is 1 of the more misleading metrics we have. It'd lead to the conclusion that Darcy Moore is a superior 1 v 1 defender to Sam Taylor. I'd hope everyone would agree that that's nonsense.

This is where I think the "eye test" trumps stats.

Barrass has officially been in about 2 contested defence 1 v 1s per game this season. Last few years it's been around 3. But I think you'd have to have rocks in your head to think that those 2-3 moments per game wholly encapsulates defending your matchup. And sure he performs poorly in that metric, but like the difference btwn someone who performs good in it vs someone who performs poorly in it is probably like 5 shots a season. Not exactly the be all and end all.

Might also be role dependent: as he's become more of an interceptor and potentially leading the backline more, it's probably natural that he's gonna be caught "late" to matchups because his role requires him to do a lot more babysitting than it did in the past, when he performed well in that metric.

That's not me making a hard call on what quality of defender he is. But I think that metric is 1 of the more misleading metrics we have. It'd lead to the conclusion that Darcy Moore is a superior 1 v 1 defender to Sam Taylor. I'd hope everyone would agree that that's nonsense.
I would argue that lockdown role is what we need to recruit for though. Stats over his whole career show he hasn't been great in those 1v1 contests. Does he stop Hogan last week from dominating against us? I'm not sure.

To me it is a big risk. Having seen us overpay for O'Meara and Wingard, I worry we will go down the same path again

I would prefer to go with Battle only next year and then see what happens

Decent return is fine, most are demanding extreme overs 'because he is contracted' despite knowing it is in the best interest of the club to move on from him.
I think most are realistic enough to know 2 first rounders is a stretch. Maybe you're only being exposed to the ones being more aggresive than that.
But given the reality that he is contacted for 3 more years, I think expecting a 1R & 2R is entirely reasonable. If Rioli warrants 12 + 20, then jesus.
I don't think the examples of JOM & T.Mitchell that others have mentioned are relevant. S.Mitchell clearly had a plan to freshen up that midfield, which has worked, so those guys were somewhat surplus to requirements. Barrass is certainly not that, its more a case of the Eagles taking advantage of a strong market for him.

4th worst one on one defender in the comp this year

I'm not actually sure he is exactly what we need
I'm not sure it's a great measure in isolation as some midfields are going to pressure the ball carrier far better than others. KPDs at bottom 4 clubs are on a hiding to nothing.

Ahhh I see it’s the silly season again where posters from different clubs argue and debate a players worth for months on end.

Both clubs are super professional at the trade table and won’t muck around getting a fair deal done (unlike Geelong and Essendon 🙄)

Both supporter groups will rage when the deal gets done as their overestimation and underestimation fantasies won’t be realised

If it’s any club I’d like to see Tommy go to it would be the hawks to give him the best chance at another premiership and would love to see S.Mitchell snag a flag as coach seeing as though he helped us jag one in 2018

How many games do you you blokes think Barrass has left in him?

His body has taken a fair bit of punishment for a soon to be 29 year old. I'd be surprised if he manages more than 50.
I see no reason he'd have to retire early or have any lingering issues like some of the older guys getting soft tissue injuries or something

find all this stuff amusing, although getting to the tiresome stage.
Tom Barrass is a fabulous player and will make Hawthorn a much better team in 2025.
The Hawks and the Eagles are two reasonable clubs, and this deal will get done. The constant and boring bickering about what he is worth is ridiculous, I'd be pretty sure the two parties are not constantly looking here to see if what they are offering/accepting is ok.
The deal will get done in the trade period, and you can all crow and scream about the result when that happens, until then the speculation here is nothing more than guess-work and, mostly, drivel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back