Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027, reportedly headed to Hawthorn]

Remove this Banner Ad

Barrass’s goodbye at the B&F makes me think the Eagles told him to find a new home.

Perhaps, but if it was it was more along the lines of “if you want to get paid that kind of money best head to the Hawks because we won’t be matching it”

Not sure what else can be implied by “I love you boys but not as much as my two boys”.

The Eagles need to get this deal done to be able to work out the Baker deal with Richmond.

Question to Eagles supporters - would you take pick 13 & F1 for Barrass and Pick 23?
We won't be giving up 23 without at least 30 coming back. We'll be looking to add picks to our draft hand this year not simply upgrade what we have.

An idea that was floated on our board was 13, 30 + F1 for Barrass, 23 + F3.

I thought 13 + F1 for Barrass + F2 would be a reasonable compromise as Hawthorn would need a decent incentive to give up an extra first and we wouldn't be giving up picks this year. Don Pyke hasn't elaborated on what the trade might be but has made it clear that we would seek full value for one of the best defenders in the competition.

That suggests to me that the trade we seek might be more in our favour but we don't have a third rounder this year and dropping our F2 to an F3 might be a bridge too far. The suggestion on our board was to swap seconds this year to give some value back to Hawthorn without either side losing their 2024 second rounder.

The Baker deal can be done independently of the Barrass deal. Ideally we would give up our F2 for Baker which would be preserved under the suggestion above. I think there is a world where the three sides get together and Hawthorn gets a 2024 second rounder from Richmond rather than a 2025 second rounder from us, effectively costing Hawthorn a future first and a downgrade on 13 for Barrass rather than giving up the pick altogether.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027, reportedly headed to Hawthorn]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back