Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles with the worst list in the comp have 2 drafts to rebuild before it is compromised due Tasmania entering the comp yet they expect the world for Barrass.

Feel free to keep him. Enjoy your 8yr rebuild

I'm sure pick 14 (which would become Liam Baker) would turn it all around for us

You'd think that if you got all your news from the Vic media bubble. Apparently Rioli is worth pick, Bolton 10 and 11, Baker 14, but on the flipside 14 and a second rounder is too much for a contracted KPD, 17 is fine for Bailey Smith etc. Those are the narratives coming out of the media and they are horribly one-sided.

Smith is a dime a dozen midfielder coming off an ACL.

6 is nuts for Rioli

10 and 11 is ridiculous for Bolton

14 I reckon is too much for Baker.

That's why you've offered only three years and less money than Hawthorn?
We aren't offering any years, he signed a 5 year deal 2 years ago and has 3 left. The club has been reasonable enough to offer a bit more money on top of the deal he already agreed to 2 years ago, but he's lookinc for more. Of course hawks have to offer more than WC to get him to uproot his family and move across the country, that goes without saying.

Assuming the fall out was because we wanted 14 + Hawks F2 and not send our own F3 to them:

If Richmond are cool with Hawks future first for Baker then I suspect a deal could still be done. Barrass for Hawks future first and Carlton's future second.

Suspect we were straight swapping pick 14 for Baker so no point arguing whether 14 or Hawks F1 is the better pick. All up to Richmond to accept the offer.

Also suspect Carlton will finish below Hawks next season so the future 2nd may end up being better than Hawks F2.
Can you just delete your account already

I'm sure the stalemate was over an F3

But petty from hawks given they courted him, romanced him, talked sweet things in his ear.

And now cancel deal over pick 40-60.

No first rounders this year for hawks
No barrass

Only left with thoughts of what 2025 could have been.

But petty from hawks given they courted him, romanced him, talked sweet things in his ear.

And now cancel deal over pick 40-60.

No first rounders this year for hawks
No barrass

Only left with thoughts of what 2025 could have been.
It’s alright, he’s used to having clubs agree to look after him only to have them let him down. 🤷‍♂️

I wonder what this thread would look like if TB played for Hawthorn.???
If Barrass was a Hawk and wanting out 2-3 years ago (but at his current age) I’d have been very keen for the club to try and extract value out of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what this thread would look like if TB played for Hawthorn.???
I think you will find we have a pretty good record.
Brad Hill springs to mind - a little while ago....granted.
Left to go home at age 23 after a couple of premierships - all we got for him was pick 23.
I am sure we could have dug our heels in for much more but we did the righty by the player

Did he ever decide on the Dogs?

Doesn’t have to decide. Merely slitting himself around is enough.

He will attach himself to another club that comes along. No point attaching yourself to anything when it can’t get done.

If this saves us from baker, I am happy. Literally no west coast fan is unhappy that barrass has broken down.

Easy.

None of those players you mentioned are Key Postion.

Key position players don’t grow on trees, and good ones are worth their weight in gold.

If that is the reason he is worth much more than young players that went on to win MVP's, Brownlows, flags, AA's, etc...

I assume it would be easy to find examples of 29+ year old key position players traded for top 15 picks then?

Has there ever been one?

P.S. (Brodie Grundy was 29 last season when traded and filling an important position of need for Sydney - with multiple AA's on his CV - he went for an end of 2nd round pick.)

P.P.S The only key position player I can ever recall being traded at 29+ for a top 15 pick was Wayne Carey - and he was considered by many the greatest player of all time AND it was over 20 years ago AND it is considered an awful trade by Adelaide.

There is no way looking at literally every trade in history it can be reasonably argued that Pick 14 (and extras) can be considered 'lowballing' for a 29 year old full back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back