Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder what this thread would look like if TB played for Hawthorn.???

Exactly like this, but less hysterical.

New to the Hypocrisy Board?

We shoved Mitchell and O'Meara out the door while under contract with nothing noteworthy in return, in order to hand the keys of our rebuild to Newcombe and Day who would subsequently go on to win the next 2 best and fairests.

This concept of list regeneration, partnered with the draft pick/s part of the trade, is completely lost in this thread.

If that is the reason he is worth much more than young players that went on to win MVP's, Brownlows, flags, AA's, etc...

I assume it would be easy to find examples of 29+ year old key position players traded for top 15 picks then?

Has there ever been one?

P.S. (Brodie Grundy was 29 last season when traded and filling an important position of need for Sydney - with multiple AA's on his CV - he went for an end of 2nd round pick.)

P.P.S The only key position player I can ever recall being traded at 29+ for a top 15 pick was Wayne Carey - and he was considered by many the greatest player of all time AND it was over 20 years ago AND it is considered an awful trade by Adelaide.

There is no way looking at literally every trade in history it can be reasonably argued that Pick 14 (and extras) can be considered 'lowballing' for a 29 year old full back.

Not a top 15 pick but 21 and 41 for a 31 year old Brian Lake who was a 2 time AA and WB b&f winner by the time the Hawks got him and who was imo, as good as what Scarlett was, his peak period was just shorter.

He would retire after 3 years at the Hawks a triple premiership player and Norm Smith Medal winner.

He was the missing piece of the puzzle for the Hawks then who were right in the window.

Will Barrass be the same missing piece and are the Hawks as close as they think they are to make him worth it?

I wonder what this thread would look like if TB played for Hawthorn.???

We let Brad Hill go for a pick in the 20s after he had been an important part of our 3peat and he was still only in his early 20s.

Was easily as good as Rioli and far younger. Far more reliable than Bolton too.

If someone wants out we let them go and move on.

We let Brad Hill go for a pick in the 20s after he had been an important part of our 3peat and he was still only in his early 20s.

That was a shocking mistake though and you got absolutely screwed. Why would we repeat a mistake?

Yes but West Coast are not shoving Barrass out the door.

That wasn't really what I was replying to though.

The fact is, we gave up our Brownlow medallist and 3 time B&F winner for a third round pick and Cooper Stephens (now delisted after not playing a game).

The question was 'what would this thread look like of Barrass played for Hawthorn?'

Considering our list rejuvenation requirements during that time frame (much like West Coast's situation now), I don't think we'd be asking for the world.

Both posts are true however if TB isnt traded this year he will see his career out as a Eagle. We will pony up the dough and that will be it.

Surely if WCE wanted Barrass they would have stuck to the handshake deal and increased his contract already.

That is why many are saying the Eagles showed him the door.

Simple fact is, Barrass isnt in your long term plans. Looking for value in trade makes sense but if its overplayed and Hawthorn walk away youre stuck with a guy you dont want and who doesnt want you.

We have Battle who is a huge addition to our backline. Barrass is icing.

That wasn't really what I was replying to though.

The fact is, we gave up our Brownlow medallist and 3 time B&F winner for a third round pick and Cooper Stephens (now delisted after not playing a game).

The question was 'what would this thread look like of Barrass played for Hawthorn?'

Considering our list rejuvenation requirements during that time frame (much like West Coast's situation now), I don't think we'd be asking for the world.
You would want a top 10 pick because Jay Clark convinced you that is his worth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely if WCE wanted Barrass they would have stuck to the handshake deal and increased his contract already.

That is why many are saying the Eagles showed him the door.

Simple fact is, Barrass isnt in your long term plans. Looking for value in trade makes sense but if its overplayed and Hawthorn walk away youre stuck with a guy you dont want and who doesnt want you.

We have Battle who is a huge addition to our backline. Barrass is icing.

I think you underestimate how bad Trevor Nisbett was at the end. No doubt he offered Barrass 1 mill+ and we rightfully didnt follow through. Barrass and his manager even admitted they made a mistake in trusting Nisbett. They need to own that too

If we showed him the door, he wouldnt have turned up to the B&F and got a large applause. As much as people want to pretend it isnt amicable, it is.

100% of people want Barrass in our best 22 next year if all we get is peanuts in return, so its not a position we are stuck in, it will be one we choose to be in

Barrass is icing but in case you havnt noticed, to beat teams like Brisbane/Sydney you need that icing. Without it you may as well tank

And the award of "The most defensive supporters in the AFL" goes to Tooooo

Hawf's.

Im also a bit weirded out that the narrative is that Eagles missed out on pick 14 so now we get less assets if Barrass left.

I dont think a team whose had a player on a 3 year contract ever accepted less then what they asked for on the Wednesday. Can anyone think of a example?

I think you underestimate how bad Trevor Nisbett was at the end. No doubt he offered Barrass 1 mill+ and we rightfully didnt follow through. Barrass and his manager even admitted they made a mistake in trusting Nisbett. They need to own that too

If we showed him the door, he wouldnt have turned up to the B&F and got a large applause. As much as people want to pretend it isnt amicable, it is.

100% of people want Barrass in our best 22 next year if all we get is peanuts in return, so its not a position we are stuck in, it will be one we choose to be in

Barrass is icing but in case you havnt noticed, to beat teams like Brisbane/Sydney you need that icing. Without it you may as well tank

Maybe take a breather , you need it.

Hes better than people think.
May not be an AA player,imo he looks like he will be a B+ player across half back.
Not every first rounder is a genuine A-grader unfortunately, but he might prove me wrong
Too slow for half back.
Midfield or bust for him.
Think he will end up a solid second stringer.

FWIW I’m a TB fan, and I would love him at the Hawks.

But, we’ve won our last 5 on the trot against Brisbane, I’m not sure your last paragraph is completely true.

FWIW I’m a TB fan, and I would love him at the Hawks.

But, we’ve won our last 5 on the trot against Brisbane, I’m not sure your last paragraph is completely true.

I think some people stopped watching us at Round 5.

We had some big losses and a couple of close losses we really should have won, but we are close and dont need a huge shake up to go further.

The bottom 3 teams have a HUGE amount of work to do. Tigers will have picks. WCE need them.

Bris haven't beaten us for 5 years.

I think some people stopped watching us at Round 5.

We had some big losses and a couple of close losses we really should have won, but we are close and dont need a huge shake up to go further.

The bottom 3 teams have a HUGE amount of work to do. Tigers will have picks. WCE need them.
Sam Mitchell is doing a huge shake up to go further....

Sam Mitchell is doing a huge shake up to go further....

Filling our gaps isnt really a shakeup. We arent pushing anyone out to make space for someone else.

Sicily is the best defender in the comp if he has freedom to move as he sees fit. Battle will allow this. Barrass helps take pressure off Frost too, but Im pretty sure most Hawk supporters see Battle as the biggest win for us.

As I said above, Barrass is icing. He would be great, but we dont need to go through the drama and mess we went through for O'Meara. We make a fair offer and WCE take it or leave it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back