Player Watch #?: Tom Campbell (joins as FA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Old school footballer who clearly makes the most of his opportunities. He lacks talent, but makes up for it with determination and grit.

Got a soft spot for these kind of footballers.

Can't say the same for a certain fatboy who's raking in 1.2Mil a year.
Kinda agree. The life of a journeyman ruck is kinda interesting. He'd be on a bargain contract and not costing picks or anything. No issue with picking him up (although probably should've done a similar thing instead of getting Grundy/Fullarton, or further back - Preuss)

Kinda agree. The life of a journeyman ruck is kinda interesting. He'd be on a bargain contract and not costing picks or anything. No issue with picking him up (although probably should've done a similar thing instead of getting Grundy/Fullarton, or further back - Preuss)
Only a ruckman can probably have this kind of career really. There might be the odd exception, but a bloke with size and presence and some sort of skill can be on a list until they are mid 30s playing minimal games in the seniors as a back up to the main guy. They develop late too, so someone like Verrall could be on our list for 5 years before we work out of he's any good or not.

Only a ruckman can probably have this kind of career really. There might be the odd exception, but a bloke with size and presence and some sort of skill can be on a list until they are mid 30s playing minimal games in the seniors as a back up to the main guy. They develop late too, so someone like Verrall could be on our list for 5 years before we work out of he's any good or not.
Darcy Fort another good example. 10 year career, 35 odd games and a flag. Not bad

The Fullerton trade is so weird in hindsight, because coaches clearly didn't want him.
Goodwin and Lamb don't seem to be on the same page at all. Same as McAdam, Goodwin doesn't seem to rate any of the guys we trade in.

I put it in the bracket of the Luke Dunstan trade. It's completely pointless

Also any ruck who agrees to come to us is clearly a dumb campaigner
Disagree. Campbell has managed to earn an AFL wage for 12 years with barely 50 games to his name. Bloke knows what he is and is squeezing every cent out of it.

Back up rucks are completely and utterly useless. Just shows how stupidly focused we are on clearances
Yep, If you need to win taps to not get smashed at clearances that means our mids absolutely suck/are disobeying instructions or the coaches are ****ing clueless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's completely pointless. I'm kinda on the same side of Schmuttt.

It'd be an okay pickup if we didn't have Fullerton. I think it's okay to have a backup, and one that's happy to sit in the 2s knowing they're a break glass if needed. Yes the ruck overall isn't the be all and end all, but you also can't jam Petty there and call it a day (Same goes for the forward line Petty). I'd rather have someone who knows at least a bit of the craft

But i'd also rather our mids also lift their game as well for sure

So i get it both ways, but if i HAD to have a backup, it'd certainly wouldn't have been Fullerton.

I'm at least happy that we've given up on trying to jam two rucks into the one side. That shit hadn't worked since 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Tom Campbell (joins as FA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back