Retiring Tom Hawkins- Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

On behalf of everyone connected to Essendon, thank **** for that !
Tom Hawkins and Essendon =
rabbit sniffing GIF

Brilliant career Tommy.

Last edited:

My favourite Cat from the golden era. Didn’t have the ‘freak’ skills of Buddy or the lead out speed of Jack and Josh and the leaping but probably the best ‘general’ skills of the four power forwards in that in a smaller body he probably could have played multiple other positions. He was a beautiful field kick and found targets so often.

Yes he’s had a pretty poor year but even in 2024 there’s been flashes of it, even that disgusting game in the monsoon up in Brisbane where none of the power forwards kicked a goal his ‘craft’ set up two goals directly via some great vision and kicking and he won us what will turn out to be a pretty important four points in Adelaide.

Not sure yet, I feel like he may still have a support role to play before the season is out. He will certainly I would think, get the game against the Eagles in round 23

2012-2023 never kicked under 46 goals in a season and lead the goal kicking for the cats 11 years straight and second the 12th. An absolute cornerstone of a very successful period in the clubs history. Smart skilful powerful and 2011 Norm Smith should have been his in my opinion also if I remember correctly kicked the first 2 to get the ball rolling in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing forward who will inexplicably be underated for all time. I hated him because he had it all.... Skills, great looks and was just bloody decent guy.

This has been pointed out in other threads previously but the similarities with J Reiwoldts career are quite striking

View attachment 2070283
The big difference, and something overlooked by many, were Tom's hit outs - 650. He was a beast in the ruck in the forward line. His opening 2 goals in the '22GF are testimony.

What a player. Will never forget that absolute bomb at the G' on the siren to sink us again.

Turning to a mate and uttering the fearful words 'surely not' as he launched a 70 meter missile that almost cleared the top of the posts, straight over the goal umpires head.

Almost pioneered forward ruck craft, utterly unstoppable on his day

What a player. Will never forget that absolute bomb at the G' on the siren to sink us again.

Turning to a mate and uttering the fearful words 'surely not' as he launched a 70 meter missile that almost cleared the top of the posts, straight over the goal umpires head.

Almost pioneered forward ruck craft, utterly unstoppable on his day

That’s probably my most vivid home and away memory of a ‘journey’ within a game ever I reckon. I was in my man-shed on the tins with the tv on playing darts and could not believe how much we carved you up for the first half and then just a bit at a time you chipped the lead away and every now and then we’d kick a goal just to halt the slide until finally you got in front and I was just shattered that the curse was broken in THAT fashion and then suddenly we go 100m in 10 seconds and set up a shot from that distance to MAYBE pinch it and in my 12-deep state I think the neighbours 6 blocks away heard my ‘f**k yeah Tommy, getthatintoyaaaaa!!!!!’

That’s probably my most vivid home and away memory of a ‘journey’ within a game ever I reckon. I was in my man-shed on the tins with the tv on playing darts and could not believe how much we carved you up for the first half and then just a bit at a time you chipped the lead away and every now and then we’d kick a goal just to halt the slide until finally you got in front and I was just shattered that the curse was broken in THAT fashion and then suddenly we go 100m in 10 seconds and set up a shot from that distance to MAYBE pinch it and in my 12-deep state I think the neighbours 6 blocks away heard my ‘f**k yeah Tommy, getthatintoyaaaaa!!!!!’
Hahaha gold, yeah it was an absolute belter of a game. You're right, when that ball was in our forward line I reckon every hawk fan thought the curse is broken and out of nowhere it was just flying straight up the middle to selwood if recall correctly, then hawkins.

Wouldn't be surprised if your neighbours equally heard my quite vocal profanities

Guy did his back in 2013 something shocking and has never been able to jump since then. People forget he was a pack marking machine before his back problems.

He had to completely change the way he played his game and his form fell for 5 year when he should of been at his peak.

But then put in an amazing last 5 years and learned how to dominate other parts of the game despite still being unable to jump.

Would of been an all time great if it wasn't for his injury. Still goes down as one of the best key fowards of his generation with only Franklin clearly ahead.

Hahaha gold, yeah it was an absolute belter of a game. You're right, when that ball was in our forward line I reckon every hawk fan thought the curse is broken and out of nowhere it was just flying straight up the middle to selwood if recall correctly, then hawkins.

Wouldn't be surprised if your neighbours equally heard my quite vocal profanities

Lollll very well put, at least you got the prize in the end the next year and broke the curse on the way - in an equally amazing game

Remove this Banner Ad

Retiring Tom Hawkins- Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back