Retiring Tom Hawkins- Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

What a fantastic career, never got the accolades he should have, everyone kept talking about pure goals, the bloke loved assisting his teammates like nothing before. Enjoy retirement Tom you've deserved it.

I hope it’s a Geelong vs Hawks GF and Hawkins slots one from 55m after the siren

What a career Tom, I thought he’d never retire but eventually Father Time comes for us all

Bravo

Guy did his back in 2013 something shocking and has never been able to jump since then. People forget he was a pack marking machine before his back problems.

He had to completely change the way he played his game and his form fell for 5 year when he should of been at his peak.

But then put in an amazing last 5 years and learned how to dominate other parts of the game despite still being unable to jump.

Would of been an all time great if it wasn't for his injury. Still goes down as one of the best key fowards of his generation with only Franklin clearly ahead.
He genuinely couldn't bend over at times in 2013 with the bulging disc. A lot of people wouldn't realise he came 2nd in the junior high jump at the Vic track and field championships in his draft year either. Had to reinvent himself and did so with aplomb.

Doc Larkins talks about his condition here, back in 2013 when he was only 25 years old.

GEELONG forward Tom Hawkins should line up against the Sydney Swans on Saturday afternoon at Simonds Stadium after benefitting from a week of rest.

But the bulging disc issue he has been carrying this season is a permanent problem with the potential to deteriorate over time, leading sports medico Dr Peter Larkins says.

The 25-year-old has a bulging L4-L5 lumbar disc, which has been causing inflammation around the lower part of his spine.

It creates stiffness in the muscles around the area, and while he has been largely unimpeded during the week he has at times been affected on game day.

Larkins said it was wise to spare the big forward from last weekend's trip to Perth as the long flight would have aggravated the problem, but he expected Hawkins to be fine to face the Swans.

"The week off will be beneficial but it probably doesn't need much more than that," Larkins told AFL.com.au.

"It's quite realistic he'll play against Sydney this week because he will have benefitted from the time off, and with physiotherapy and medication and a lot of work on core exercises and Pilates work."

Hawkins himself has also put up his hand to play, Tweeting on Saturday he would be fine to resume in the Cats' second-last game at their home stadium this season.

"Thanks everyone for the kind messages over the last few days!! I have had a great week, so I should be "BACK" next weekend," Hawkins wrote.

"However a spot might not be there for me next week. How good are the boys playing?!!!!"
Hawkins' complaint usually requires non-surgical intervention, except in extreme cases such as those suffered by Garry Lyon, Ang Christou and Brad Ottens.

The Cats also have recent experience in dealing with such ailments, with Dawson Simpson undergoing surgery to repair a more severe issue.

Larkins said resting Hawkins for a lengthy period was unnecessary, with the cons of missing football outweighing the pros.

"There's no point putting him aside for a month because he loses fitness," he said.

"Rest takes away the inflammation and the pain but that often only takes a few days - he's been good between matches and been able to play and train well at the end of each week and that's why they've kept playing him throughout the middle part of the year.

"Having a month off will mean he's still got a bulging disc at the end of the month but his back won't be sore and he will have lost a month of football."

A disc is the jelly-like material that exists between vertebrae and acts like a shock absorber. A bulge can occur when doing things as simple as lifting, coughing or sneezing, or putting the back through an awkward extension.

Hawkins isn't experiencing nerve pain - it's the stiffness and inflammation of the disc and the joints next to it that is causing problems.

Larkins said once the disc pushes out it doesn't go back in, but it could shrink and pain could be eased if treated properly.

"When you squeeze the toothpaste tube and the toothpaste comes out, you can't then put it back in," he said.

"It can shrink down so the disc can ultimately become smaller and compress itself. A grape eventually becomes a raisin if you leave it in the sun for long enough.

"It can get worse but it hasn't. All that's happened is he continues to get bouts of the inflammation and the stiffness and sometimes he's played well this year and then the last few weeks it clearly hasn't settled from week to week.

"At his age, it's not great to have because it means he's always going have a weakness in his back as he gets older.

"Hopefully it doesn't get worse like Simpson's did."

Came of age in the 2011 Grand Final, and from there became a dominant key forward over the next decade or so.

He's done something right to last 18 seasons in the system.

Had a little period in the middle where it looked like back problems would completely derail his career and he might be a candidate to retire early. Pretty extraordinary that his best footy became after this point.

Between 2018 and 2022, 4x All Australian, another time in the AA squad of 40, a Coleman, a Premiership and another Grand Final appearance. 116 games and 294 goals.

Would never have expected such outstanding longevity for a guy who was probably carrying 110kg for the majority of his career.

Eagles defender in round 23:
Ralph Wiggum Danger GIF

For all the talk of his size, he rarely gets the kudos he deserves for sheer forward craft and timing. Very few players can match him in that.

I really thought he had another year in him. Monster on a career.

One of the best nights I experienced at the footy, the joy, the ecstasy.

Thankyou Tomahawk!!!

Get stuffed... what a game that was! Dennis could call a game, "the cat is still on the back!" only bested by "get a hearse for the curse!"

Well done Tom, brilliant career and always saved his best for big games as all Hawks fans would know.

Had he played in the Dunstall, Lockett, Gaz senior era I reckon he'd fit comfortably in the conversation as to who was the best full forward, his power full forward game was built for that era of footy.

Well done Tom Hawkins. A credit to the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just have a hunch he will put the club before himself as he has throughout most of his career.
Certainly be nice to see him out there and possibly make it to 800 career goals.
Fair enough. If he's not fit he'll do that.

Just have a hunch he will put the club before himself as he has throughout most of his career.
Certainly be nice to see him out there and possibly make it to 800 career goals.
Part of putting the club first though is to stay fit and keep training in case he is needed, even if he isn't best 22 this week.

(Compare Martin - Richmond not in finals so I think him pulling the plug now is fine from a team perspective)

Aside from the grand finals and the 2012 hawks game probably the other one that sticks in the memory is that ridiculous comeback against Melbourne - most people probably remember Tuohy kicking the goal after the siren but we trailed by 30 early in the last - he kicked 4 himself for the term, we kicked 8. 7 goals, 4 contested marks, 2 goal assists - ridiculous game from him that night.

Guy did his back in 2013 something shocking and has never been able to jump since then. People forget he was a pack marking machine before his back problems.

He had to completely change the way he played his game and his form fell for 5 year when he should of been at his peak.

But then put in an amazing last 5 years and learned how to dominate other parts of the game despite still being unable to jump.

Would of been an all time great if it wasn't for his injury. Still goes down as one of the best key fowards of his generation with only Franklin clearly ahead.

Glad someone pointed this out. Prior to his back injury - and it was against the Eagles in Perth in 2012 - he was in absolutely white hot form (the goal after the siren against Hawthorn was the week before). Was taking huge pack marks, and was almost unbeatable one on one. Although he didn't miss any footy, and kicked 14 goals in the next 3 games, he never flew for the ball the same way again.

Scary to think that he never really became the player he threatened to be. Still adjusted his game to be a weapon for another full decade.

Not many opposition players that gave me more nightmares than Tom Hawkins.

Congratulations on a fantastic career.

Onya Tommy. Took a while to blossom but damn he was a great forward.

Unselfish and often dragged a 2nd defender so his team mates had more space and chances to score.

Best of luck to you Tomahawk - hopefully the club buy you some Angus calves for Barrabool Hills as a retirement present.

Congrats Tom Hawkins on a tremendous career.

Fantastic player and career who always terrorised Hawthorn in his prime.

I will never forget getting off a flight in Melbourne after a month in Europe back in 2012. The first thing I saw on the TV walking out was Hawkins unloading a big bomb after the siren to win the game against us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retiring Tom Hawkins- Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back