Tom Hislop

Remove this Banner Ad

Terry Wallace seems to be spending a lot of time addressing the midfield when I thought Richmond's midfield was actually pretty strong. Sure, you need more players these days to rotate through the middle, but...

Cotchin
Foley
Johnson
Deledio
Tuck

... is a pretty good starting five. Add the likes of...

Tambling
Coughlan
Polo
Connors
White

... makes for some decent depth. I'm not including JON in that because he's rubbish and should be delisted.

So going after Cousins makes sense, and Adam Thomson I can see as he's talented and didn't get a fair go at Port, but Hislop is starting to stretch it. He's not good enough as far as I can see that you'd take the gamble on someone with an obvious attitude problem.

It's not a criticism of the club per se, but I would have thought midfield was not the area that needs the most attention at Richmond, and yet that seems to be where the attention is directed.

Fair comments, but we did take a ruckman and key forward with our first 2 picks in the draft.

Since when did depth in your list become a problem?

Having all these midfield options available means we have depth through our midfield right now and the possibility of a nice trade to offer the GC when they are looking to offload their picks. Also there would be question marks over Coughlan, Cousins and Johnson having many games in them so the depth could well be needed.

People have forgotten Jackson and Raines on the list of Richmond mids also.

A lot of the names mentioned will play half back/ half forward roles anyway.

Having all these midfield options available means we have depth through our midfield right now and the possibility of a nice trade to offer the GC when they are looking to offload their picks. Also there would be question marks over Coughlan, Cousins and Johnson having many games in them so the depth could well be needed.

o no ! not jackson and raines how could we forget them!

i think people arnt critisising your depth more that you dont need more midfeilders... too much depth in one area can present problems in other areas. eg if you have alot of midfeild depth most likely your KP depth will suffer.

the tigers have a few promising KP youngsters however i think if a couple of your KP players go down eg richo, thursfeild, moore then you will be in a fair bit of trouble.

i think thats where the critisism is coming from

A whole bunch of players with potential isn't depth. It does provide competition for spots in the 22, which is a good thing, but to confuse it with "depth" would be a mistake. It's substituting one untried option for another.

Terry Wallace seems to be spending a lot of time addressing the midfield when I thought Richmond's midfield was actually pretty strong. Sure, you need more players these days to rotate through the middle, but...

Cotchin
Foley
Johnson
Deledio
Tuck

... is a pretty good starting five. Add the likes of...

Tambling
Coughlan
Polo
Connors
White

... makes for some decent depth. I'm not including JON in that because he's rubbish and should be delisted.

So going after Cousins makes sense, and Adam Thomson I can see as he's talented and didn't get a fair go at Port, but Hislop is starting to stretch it. He's not good enough as far as I can see that you'd take the gamble on someone with an obvious attitude problem.

It's not a criticism of the club per se, but I would have thought midfield was not the area that needs the most attention at Richmond, and yet that seems to be where the attention is directed.
And thats my point.

I can see Hislop at a club that needs some depth in midfield but as far as I can see this is one area they are extremely well catered for.

A whole bunch of players with potential isn't depth. It does provide competition for spots in the 22, which is a good thing, but to confuse it with "depth" would be a mistake. It's substituting one untried option for another.
but are they all unproven youngsters?

they are all proven bar thomson and hislop who have both shown they are capable at afl level probably thomson more then hislop at this stage.

right now i would be able to say thomson and hislop would be able to compete at afl level, just because they have potential to be better doesnt mean they cant already compete at the level necessary to be effective

but are they all unproven youngsters?

they are all proven bar thomson and hislop...
That's entirely my point. What you had was some reasonable depth. Adding Cousins makes sense, the guy's a champ as a player. Adding Thomson, sure okay. Adding Hislop as well? It's overkill.

That's entirely my point. What you had was some reasonable depth. Adding Cousins makes sense, the guy's a champ as a player. Adding Thomson, sure okay. Adding Hislop as well? It's overkill.

yeah i agree, however they didnt have cousins when hislop was drafted. the whole cousins decision seemed very rushed to me, they had a whole year pretty much to decide on whether they wanted to pursue cousins why did it have to take them so long?

the drafting of hislop at the time though i thought was sensible, it ensured the depth of their inside midfeilders and at a pick in the 50s? its a more then reasonable price.

yeah i agree, however they didnt have cousins when hislop was drafted. the whole cousins decision seemed very rushed to me, they had a whole year pretty much to decide on whether they wanted to pursue cousins why did it have to take them so long?

And I think thats why Craig Cameron wasn't entirely happy with the Cousins pick.

He is contracted to Essendon. If he was out of contract he would be elsewhere.

Pretty simple really.

Nathan Carroll was contracted to Melbourne next year too.
I suppose essendon must live by the adage that only good characters are allowed unless we think you have talent, then we'll keep you around for a little longer....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Carroll was contracted to Melbourne next year too.
I suppose essendon must live by the adage that only good characters are allowed unless we think you have talent, then we'll keep you around for a little longer....

And Melbourne were looking to get out of paying his remaining contract due to his constant brawls off the field. We wouldn't just give away $200k+ just because a guy missed a coulple of training sessions.

Tom has fitted in extremely well. :thumbsu:

Is in tip top shape and been one of the most enthusiastic trainers at the club.

Has openly talked to particular Richmond coterie groups about his issues and taking them on face value, knows where he is coming from and knows where he is going.

Has added size, definition and is working closely with Thomson, Tuck and Coughlan in contested ball drills and looks very good in that area. He is also best mates with Jack Riewoldt, who is one of our up and coming leaders and has a terrific personality, and will be a leader of our football club. He will take Tommy Gun under his wing.

Have no doubt he will be an AFL player, a damn good one, I am really pleased that we have given him a go as two years ago at our draft night, he was our second choice for our first round pick and Francis Jackson is a massive, massive fan of his capabilities.

Essendon's stance, is Essendons stance. Good on them for sticking to there ways and if they want to preach that, well good on them.

I am from the view of everyone deserves a second chance if their football is good enough, we have seen decades of cases of football turning people around in ways of life.

More importantly, I back the characters at our club to reinvent the likes of Cousins and Hislop. We have a fantastic group of players, absolutely magnificent individuals who are focused and determined. A great club for these two to get a second chance with.

And Melbourne were looking to get out of paying his remaining contract due to his constant brawls off the field. We wouldn't just give away $200k+ just because a guy missed a coulple of training sessions.

And gave his girlfriend a hell of a time.

For a club with a good amount of coin like Essendon, you'd think it would be worth it if they've started a no DH policy.

I really liked Hislop. Was the standout youngster at the Club for mine from what I saw of him. Has guts, knows how to get the ball inclose and will work his a$$ off.

Will fit in beautifully in the Tigers midfield over the next 2-3 seasons if he matures above the shoulders a tad...

Great pick up for the Tiges...

Hislop was not contracted, Lovett was.

Lovett is rumoured to be on 200K-250K per season.

You do have some idea about list management and salary cap rules don't you?

i think people arnt critisising your depth more that you dont need more midfeilders... too much depth in one area can present problems in other areas. eg if you have alot of midfeild depth most likely your KP depth will suffer.

the tigers have a few promising KP youngsters however i think if a couple of your KP players go down eg richo, thursfeild, moore then you will be in a fair bit of trouble.

i think thats where the critisism is coming from

We took two KP with our first picks.

The Tigers are pretty well off for young tall defenders with Thursty,Moore, Mcguane,Rance,Post along with Schulz,Silvester and Polak.

We also have several ruckmen on the list.

We are a bit light on for key forwards but maybe the club didnt see anything worth taking a punt on this year?

Another weakness in our list would be small defenders so perhaps the club is looking at one of the players mentioned as a mid to fill that hole.

Over all our list is reasonably balanced I reckon.

And gave his girlfriend a hell of a time.

For a club with a good amount of coin like Essendon, you'd think it would be worth it if they've started a no DH policy.

from memory no charge was laid so it is still alleged that he gave his girlfriend a hell of a time, anyway that was in 2005, 3 years is a long time especially in footy.

second of all lovett missed 2 training sessions this year 1 of which he rocked up to late. when you consider people like alan didak are out there drink driving, hanging out with murderes etc missing a couple of training sessions is hardly a massive crime.

having to pay an extra 250k as a club without having that player on the list is a massive deal in todays footy, list management is crucial and a club needs to take any advantage is can get.

Tom has fitted in extremely well. :thumbsu:

Is in tip top shape and been one of the most enthusiastic trainers at the club.

Has openly talked to particular Richmond coterie groups about his issues and taking them on face value, knows where he is coming from and knows where he is going.

Has added size, definition and is working closely with Thomson, Tuck and Coughlan in contested ball drills and looks very good in that area. He is also best mates with Jack Riewoldt, who is one of our up and coming leaders and has a terrific personality, and will be a leader of our football club. He will take Tommy Gun under his wing.

Have no doubt he will be an AFL player, a damn good one, I am really pleased that we have given him a go as two years ago at our draft night, he was our second choice for our first round pick and Francis Jackson is a massive, massive fan of his capabilities.

Essendon's stance, is Essendons stance. Good on them for sticking to there ways and if they want to preach that, well good on them.

I am from the view of everyone deserves a second chance if their football is good enough, we have seen decades of cases of football turning people around in ways of life.

More importantly, I back the characters at our club to reinvent the likes of Cousins and Hislop. We have a fantastic group of players, absolutely magnificent individuals who are focused and determined. A great club for these two to get a second chance with.

Good fair post mate :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Hislop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back