Tom Lynch - itshappening.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still confident after talking to my source that Lynch is VERY much in the frame for us in 2019.

Is willing to sacrifice dollars for success.

Of course we can get him.

Just have to make some hard calls and juggle contracts. Same goes for every other club of course. But we are the reigning premier.

The question is not can we get him but can we afford to make the hard calls to do so.

That we are being talked about re Lynch is a sign we are in the hunt. If he wants a premiership then we must look good. We have to cross that bar of getting GC a first rounder in compo.

I would imagine that if we have a good 2018 it'll be close to a fight between the GC/AFL $ and a likely premiership with the Tigers. If we fall then probably a different proposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% go all out to get him...

whats the mandatory delistings per year, 5 or so...

So from this year we had the following leave the list (some conservative numbers there):

Batch - $125k
Elton - $125k
Hunt - $125k
Lennon - $300k
Maric - $150k
Morris - $125k
Yarran - $400k
Lids $ - $250k

Thats $1.6m out, all replaced by kids (7) on the average of $85k is $595k, so saving of a tick over $1 mil.

So say we have a few more movements, Hampson goes say $350k plus someone like Miles or Lloyd also goes (another $150k) replaced by kids, theres another $300k or close to it...

So we could easily free up or even front load a T Lynch contract

Mind you, some are due for handsome pay rises.
Saved $1.6 million ..... $600,000 alone goes to Dusty.

I think we could have a large amount of salary cap space; enough to after Lynch. Here's my fairly simplistic reasoning (lots of guesswork involved!):
- 5 senior players cut + 3 retirements [+$2m-ish]
- No senior acquisitions this year. Replaced with draftees and upgraded rookies [-$1m-ish]
- I believe we were subsidising Lids' wage at GWS in 2017, but that is now over [not 100% sure on this one]
- Salary cap has been raised 20% this year. Not sure what measures have been put into place to ensure this is spread across all players but surely this is going to have a similar effect to what COLA had [+$2.08m]
- I've been lucky enough speak to Dan Richardson and a few other Richmond people about the mechanics of the salary cap in the past. Richmond have had a policy of not financially rewarding mediocrity. For that reason, we tried to stay around the floor (95% of the cap). Everyone was aware that it would increase significantly if we had a period of sustained success, as an additional incentive. We are now the best team in the comp and so we can justify pushing closer to the salary cap [+$500k]

So there's potentially $3.5m p/a of space there.

I think we'd be mad not to go after Lynch if we can get him as a free agent at a reasonable price.
We don't have 5 senior players to cut and who's gonna retire? We've got a young list.

What are those hard calls? Trading a 30-year old Jack R away (Hawthorne-style) to free up a position and cap space?
Pulling the pin on the Schache trade late in the piece, and showing no interest in Stringer who sounded us out or Devon Smith who we had pursued in the past and apparently was also keen on Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back