Tom Rockliff's regret

Remove this Banner Ad

Black Child

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Tom Rockliff was the captain and a heart and soul player at the Lions during their dark days of the 2010-2017 years.
He never got to play finals and by the end of 2017 he'd clearly had enough, so he decided to move interstate to a club seen to be young and not far off being a serious premiership contender.

Fast forward two years to 2019 since Rockliff made his move and Brisbane are on the verge of something great.
His club in Port Adelaide on the other hand have gone backwards in that time and are now treading water in no mans land, with a coach all the Power fans want sacked.
It's likely that Rockliff will retire without having ever played in a final.
As it currently stands he's played the most games of any current player without having played in a final.

In the meantime he has to see his old mates at Brisbane play deep into September.
Shades of Brett Deledio who played with us through the dark years of Wallace and Hardwick when it looked like we were going nowhere under him.

Do you think that Rockliff is regretting his decision to move from Brisbane to Port Adelaide?

His decision? We moved him on. The guy was an absolute prick of a bloke and a cancer at the club. Cutting out him and Hanley is part of the reason we are achieving now.

Interesting considering op’s reference to lids

A lot of people say similar things about him being a negative influence at Richmond before he left

• Banned
His decision? We moved him on. The guy was an absolute prick of a bloke and a cancer at the club. Cutting out him and Hanley is part of the reason we are achieving now.

Didn't Brisbane offer him a deal to stay but he instead chose to leave and take the offer that Port put in front of him?
I just feel that he'd be regretting it just as it was clear Deledio regretted leaving us as evidenced by him going to the zoo with his family and refusing to watch the grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schache...

No, I dont think he'd be happy here. He wasnt about winning games, he legitimately didnt want to be away from his personal support and thats fine by me. Moving interstate isnt for everyone.

We are talking people who regret leaving us because we are doing well.

No, I dont think he'd be happy here. He wasnt about winning games, he legitimately didnt want to be away from his personal support and thats fine by me. Moving interstate isnt for everyone.

We are talking people who regret leaving us because we are doing well.
Well probably no one yet because the reality is you guys haven't won anything yet. This is your first finals series in 10 years.

He’s getting paid well to play the odd SANFL game.

Managed a lazy 57 disposals (league record), 7 marks, 14 clearances, 8 inside 50s and 12 tackles in his lone SANFL appearance this year, returning from injury. Let's not act like he's Bryce Gibbs-ed it and has been dropped to the ressies for an extended period.

Managed a lazy 57 disposals (league record), 7 marks, 14 clearances, 8 inside 50s and 12 tackles in his lone SANFL appearance this year, returning from injury. Let's not act like he's Bryce Gibbs-ed it and has been dropped to the ressies for an extended period.

Elite heroballer. Actual impact on games is...questionable.

He was a restricted free agent so Brisbane could've matched the contract and kept him if a trade didn't occur, they wanted pick 2 but had to settle for pick 19.

I don't think he was as bad a bloke as people some Lions fans like to make out, you don't become captain if you're totally awful. Nor was/is he as bad a footballer as some make out, he was a player super keen for the ball and without great disposal skills. It's rare you here criticism of someone like Fyfe who's the same. Fyfe has more impact with his athleticism and power so it's not the perfect comparison but Rockliff had poor impact per disposal, not poor impact.

He was ready to move on. Brisbane were ready to move on.

Port might not have been the best choice but he had 2 choices Port or Carlton and if you're chasing some success over a 4 year deal then of course you pick Port. He had a stinker of a year last year - he looked far too skinny, was played out of position and really struggled at times. He's having a pretty solid year this year.

I'd imagine Rockliff would have more 'what ifs' than regrets. You make your decision on the evidence available and you live with it. A good Port side that wanted him rather than a bad Brisbane side that were happy to move on is a simple decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Rockliff's regret

Remove this Banner Ad

Back