Rumour Tony Armstrong to Collingwood - likely in PSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given Sydney are delisting him, it could well be a case of this being his last chance of an AFL career. Presumably when he returned to Sydney from Adelaide he had options. Having the blinkers on might be what he needs.

It was a pisstake on Hanleys tweet ;).

I'd rather take a shot at one of Joel Wilkinson, Mav Weller or Alex Forster first as delisted free agents first.
Even a David Mirra as a mature recruit would be a less bad option.

Armstrong can kick but he's a light body who lacks a two way game with his 1v1 ability and ability to win his own footy poor.
When you can't make it in Adelaide or Sydney - two of the teams with the best development systems in the competition. That's concerning from a 24 year old.

People are getting their knickers in a twist over nothing.

If you look at the list you'll see that we have 39 senior players post the trade period. Adams replaces Shaw and Karnezis replaces Paine.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/players/seniors

That senior list currently includes Gault, Hudson, Dwyer, Martin, Oxley, Frost, Mooney - all of which can be rookied and let's assume they are for the point of the exercise.

We then have 32 players on our senior list.

Our picks at the National Draft are: 6, 10, 67, 85, 103, 121.

We bring in picks 6, 10 and 67, which brings the list to 35. We can use picks 85, 103 and 121 for Dwyer, Martin and Oxley which brings the list up to the minimum 38 senior players. Or we might bring Armstrong in via the PSD and elevate two rookies and pass on pick 121.

Pre round 1 we can bring in Hudson and at round 11 bring in Frost or Oxley.

There's plenty of room to elevate our current rookies.

This thread is fairly cringeworthy.

If we get the guy, we will have given up virtually nothing for him. This is a player that has played 15 games for Sydney over the past two years, so they rate him at least that much. They won the flag last year and finished Top 4 this year.

Meanwhile, people are panicking about giving up Jackson Paine who played zero games for the 8th placed side this year.

I'd say that if Sydney rated him enough to pick him up and play him, and then Hine rates him enough to bring him to Collingwood, maybe he's better than the reaction gifs in this thread might indicate?
Totally agree, we give up nothing at all.
Its a bit of an experiment but who cares, everyone loves referring to Lynch and Russell who also cost us jack. Its when you start using high draft picks and they become spuds is when you get angry at those bad decisions.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I'd rather take a shot at one of Joel Wilkinson, Mav Weller or Alex Forster first as delisted free agents first.
Even a David Mirra as a mature recruit would be a less bad option.

Armstrong can kick but he's a light body who lacks a two way game with his 1v1 ability and ability to win his own footy poor.
When you can't make it in Adelaide or Sydney - two of the teams with the best development systems in the competition. That's concerning from a 24 year old.

Yeah Weller and Wilkinson would be better then Armstrong.

So saying Armstrong is a Good Kick but is so Skinny he can get Pushed around to Easy and will be Primed to Injury more

This kid looks very Yagamoor like, seems to be 'very outside' with good disposal by foot.

Lots of confusing messages coming through about him wanting to go back to Sydney for homesickness reasons then not wanting to be part of the White deal to get to Collingwood, (which all points to him wanting to stay in Sydney and not come south).

Can't see us taking or getting him from here even if he is de-listed, just not convinced we want him.

We can pick the guy up on a one year deal. Any draftee (not rookies) automatically gets a 2 year deal. If either are no good, we'd want to be able to punt them after a year. A draftees means a payout and cap space for the 2nd year.

This is a good point. Although given our scouting and development resources you'd think there would be a state league player somewhere who would be a better risk than Armstrong. Yes, we're stuck with them for 2 years by drafting in the ND but if we're only picking up TA because he uses up a list spot for a year then I don't think this is the way to go either

People are getting their knickers in a twist over nothing.

If you look at the list you'll see that we have 39 senior players post the trade period. Adams replaces Shaw and Karnezis replaces Paine.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/players/seniors

That senior list currently includes Gault, Hudson, Dwyer, Martin, Oxley, Frost, Mooney - all of which can be rookied and let's assume they are for the point of the exercise.

We then have 32 players on our senior list.

Our picks at the National Draft are: 6, 10, 67, 85, 103, 121.

We bring in picks 6, 10 and 67, which brings the list to 35. We can use picks 85, 103 and 121 for Dwyer, Martin and Oxley which brings the list up to the minimum 38 senior players. Or we might bring Armstrong in via the PSD and elevate two rookies and pass on pick 121.

Pre round 1 we can bring in Hudson and at round 11 bring in Frost or Oxley.

There's plenty of room to elevate our current rookies.

Take your dirty level headed logic and get out of this thread!

I kind of am for us getting him. Who knows what will happen and we are getting him for free. If he is a bust i honestly want really care. If he can play some good AFL footy and help with our kick outs then great. Hine clearly does not rate the depth of the draft at all. So we are giving up nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see the harm in this. Why not give a guy with high end foot skills a shot? He will cost us nothing. If it flops, it flops. Big deal. Worst case scenario he is depth for 2 years. I'm more than happy to give the guy a go.

WE must not be talking about the same person here...

Buyer beware.. he will just become a list clogger.. nothing more..

I kind of am for us getting him. Who knows what will happen and we are getting him for free. If he is a bust i honestly want really care. If he can play some good AFL footy and help with our kick outs then great. Hine clearly does not rate the depth of the draft at all. So we are giving up nothing.

I'm with you. The odds are that he won't make it, but he's probably more likely than whoever we were to draft at pick 67 or 83. I really don't understand why recycled players are seen as a major mistake when they play a few games but don't make it, whereas noone bats an eyelid when a late pick youngster goes by the wayside without playing a single game.

I'm with you. The odds are that he won't make it, but he's probably more likely than whoever we were to draft at pick 67 or 83. I really don't understand why recycled players are seen as a major mistake when they play a few games but don't make it, whereas noone bats an eyelid when a late pick youngster goes by the wayside without playing a single game.

I think it's because people say they already knew he wouldn't make it and an unknown player is at least a slight chance of making it. Then there's also the few times the player gets games and they're stopping the development of another player. I'm not saying this is my thinking on Armstrong, but it is in effect what happens when the player turns out to be like Corrie.

I think it's because people say they already knew he wouldn't make it and an unknown player is at least a slight chance of making it. Then there's also the few times the player gets games and they're stopping the development of another player. I'm not saying this is my thinking on Armstrong, but it is in effect what happens when the player turns out to be like Corrie.

I dont even really think Corrie was no that bad a mistake. There is very little chance the payer at 90 odd would have been better. I think it is worth 5 Corries for every 1 Brown. Armstrong might be that L Brown. Or he might be a dud. The point is we should not really worry that much about it. Its worth a shot. If we dont keep on trying we will never get our next L Brown.

I dont even really think Corrie was no that bad a mistake. There is very little chance the payer at 90 odd would have been better. I think it is worth 5 Corries for every 1 Brown. Armstrong might be that L Brown. Or he might be a dud. The point is we should not really worry that much about it. Its worth a shot. If we dont keep on trying we will never get our next L Brown.

Pick 90 isn't a waste, but playing him ahead of others and putting time and effort into him perhaps was, even if most of it was at VFL level. Chances are without him we would have picked another crap player (Thoolan type) but in saying that we got Blair as a rookie and guys like Tom Rockliff were taken in the PSD.

As long as Hine and Rendell keep on doing good work with the trading, high draft picks and sorting out contracts they can pick up DaveTheMan or their kids with late picks for all I care.
I agree, in fact I think the club should run a competition for all supporters, the winner gets a Cat B rookie spot.

Pick 90 isn't a waste, but playing him ahead of others and putting time and effort into him perhaps was, even if most of it was at VFL level. Chances are without him we would have picked another crap player (Thoolan type) but in saying that we got Blair as a rookie and guys like Tom Rockliff were taken in the PSD.

and in that same draft we got L.Brown who was important to the premiership.

and in that same draft we got L.Brown who was important to the premiership.

Yep, but those are the reasons why people will complain about picking up a player like Armstrong. Like I've said a few times, I'll back Hine in, especially with the draft being so weak, but Armstrong will need to improve to stay on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back