Too late for Goodes??

Remove this Banner Ad

still a massive chance

at about a a third of the way through the season..... he was BOG 4-5 weeks straight

went a little quiet when O'Keefe went into the midfield

last few weeks he has dominated at CHF

however two things will go against him........ a) we're not winning many matches...... b) the umpires will be extra conservative regarding goodes given the criticism last year

That's rubbish. He didn't come with a late charge in both of his brownlow years. Only polled once after round 17 in 2003 and polled throughout the whole year in 2006. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Anyone who doesn't rate him in the top 10 is ignorant in the extreme. Didn't have a great year last year but he's had an excellent year. I reckon he's had three quiet games - Carlton (in Sydney), Richmond (in Sydney) and Melbourne.

And North Melbourne.

Still, that's 18 games where I suspect he's more than likely to get a vote.

And Swan, consistent? He had a quietish start to the year, only really came to the fore of everyone's attentions around Round 5 I believe? I've got a hazy memory and wasn't too focussed on him at the time, but I do remember there was a point where he suddenly started getting a lot of the ball, maybe it was his 48 possession week followed by another 40+ week? In that case that wassss Round 4, because I recall Ablett also got good possessions that week, against Adelaide. Of course, I stand to be corrected by Pies fans, I'm going off my recollection. He then also had a quiet game yesterday where I doubt he'd poll (Possibly 3. Anthony, 2. Goodes, 1. Maxwell). Thats 4 games where he's been quiet, a similar number to Goodes. It then comes down to which of the two is seen as the stand out in their side, and with Swan competing with the likes of Pendlebury, Davis, Didak etc. for votes, and Goodes' main competition O'Keefe... Swan won't poll as strongly as some people suggest.

The thing about Goodes is that he is a genuine standout. Everything he does looks impressive. Notabley yesterday his second and third goals were incredible.

One of the only players to impress opposition supporters. Everytime he got the ball yesterday you could hear some pies supports mumble 'how good is he' along with the usual 'get him!'

I dont know why Dane Swan is favourite for the bronlow. I mean he gets the ball, but nothing good enough to take home and go 'wow'.

I thought His goal assist to Cloke in the second was pretty Impressive.

The thing about Goodes is that he is a genuine standout. Everything he does looks impressive. Notabley yesterday his second and third goals were incredible.

One of the only players to impress opposition supporters. Everytime he got the ball yesterday you could hear some pies supports mumble 'how good is he' along with the usual 'get him!'

I dont know why Dane Swan is favourite for the bronlow. I mean he gets the ball, but nothing good enough to take home and go 'wow'.

I'm sorry to burst this bubble but Goodes was a liability to your team yesterday. I watched him live and he was the clanger king and had only 50% disposal efficiency. 50%, that is half the time he disposed of the footy it didn't go direct to a Swans player, which means one of the opposition had a crack at it. He has had some very good games, but given that Collingwood scored 10 of their goals from turnovers at the MCG yeseterday afternoon I would have thought that in this particular game he actually contributed to the Swans loss as much as any player. Wouldn't you say?

BTW only one other Swans player slaughtered the footy more than Goodes (Crouch at 42%). So if the player who gets the most footy for your team uses it the just about the worst how is that a WOW factor? I would not be happy to take that home as a WOW. As far as all us Collingwood fans murmuring admiringly about Goodes, GET YOUR HEARING CHECKED!! I think you mistook our s******s of derission as praise for the clanger king. Many of the times he got the ball yesterday I didn't say "get him" I said "I wonder what we can do after he turns it over". I particularly liked his chip pass in the Swans fwd line that Didak and Pendlebury punished by running it to the Pies goal square in about 15 seconds.

I'm sorry, but if A. Goodes was the Swans best player yesterday it is indicative of why they suffered a heavy defaet.

I'm sorry to burst this bubble but Goodes was a liability to your team yesterday. I watched him live and he was the clanger king and had only 50% disposal efficiency. 50%, that is half the time he disposed of the footy it didn't go direct to a Swans player, which means one of the opposition had a crack at it. He has had some very good games, but given that Collingwood scored 10 of their goals from turnovers at the MCG yeseterday afternoon I would have thought that in this particular game he actually contributed to the Swans loss as much as any player. Wouldn't you say?

BTW only one other Swans player slaughtered the footy more than Goodes (Crouch at 42%). So if the player who gets the most footy for your team uses it the just about the worst how is that a WOW factor? I would not be happy to take that home as a WOW. As far as all us Collingwood fans murmuring admiringly about Goodes, GET YOUR HEARING CHECKED!! I think you mistook our s******s of derission as praise for the clanger king. Many of the times he got the ball yesterday I didn't say "get him" I said "I wonder what we can do after he turns it over". I particularly liked his chip pass in the Swans fwd line that Didak and Pendlebury punished by running it to the Pies goal square in about 15 seconds.

I'm sorry, but if A. Goodes was the Swans best player yesterday it is indicative of why they suffered a heavy defaet.

I was there too and i thought he was close to BOG. I don't need to look at stats to know how effective he was.

And North Melbourne.

Still, that's 18 games where I suspect he's more than likely to get a vote.

And Swan, consistent? He had a quietish start to the year, only really came to the fore of everyone's attentions around Round 5 I believe? I've got a hazy memory and wasn't too focussed on him at the time, but I do remember there was a point where he suddenly started getting a lot of the ball, maybe it was his 48 possession week followed by another 40+ week? In that case that wassss Round 4, because I recall Ablett also got good possessions that week, against Adelaide. Of course, I stand to be corrected by Pies fans, I'm going off my recollection. He then also had a quiet game yesterday where I doubt he'd poll (Possibly 3. Anthony, 2. Goodes, 1. Maxwell). Thats 4 games where he's been quiet, a similar number to Goodes. It then comes down to which of the two is seen as the stand out in their side, and with Swan competing with the likes of Pendlebury, Davis, Didak etc. for votes, and Goodes' main competition O'Keefe... Swan won't poll as strongly as some people suggest.

Goodes with 2 votes for 5 clangers and 50% effeciency in disposal? I would doubt it. BTW he was absolutely useless when it came to his defensive awareness as a forward/attacking player. Very unaccountable at times yesterday, so would be suprised if he polled at all.

I was there too and i thought he was close to BOG. I don't need to look at stats to know how effective he was.
You don't have to look at many stats, just the fact that you think he was BOG in a team that played mediocre footy, lost by 7 goals and he slaughtered the footy half the times he kicked it? No stats there, just cold hard facts. Dane Beams was BOG by a mile in a team that won at a canter. This was partly because Sydney coughed the footy up with some very poor skills of which the Goodes, as your BOG, contributed more than his fair share of. He is not a bad player but had a bad game yesterday, no biggy.

Goodes with 2 votes for 5 clangers and 50% effeciency in disposal? I would doubt it. BTW he was absolutely useless when it came to his defensive awareness as a forward/attacking player. Very unaccountable at times yesterday, so would be suprised if he polled at all.

You reckon the umpires would've been looking to see if he was accountable or not? No they would've seen what most of us saw - he was BOG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney have lost too many games IMHO.

I can't see any votes for him in rounds 10 to 13, 15 and 16 where I suspect the winning side will receive all. Add to that and he was hardly a star in the wins against Carlton (4), Richmond (6) and the Dees I don't think he is a serious contender.

You reckon the umpires would've been looking to see if he was accountable or not? No they would've seen what most of us saw - he was BOG.

Look I'm not particularly worried about the Brownlow votes or what the umpires thought as it has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of games. I mean Adam Goodes wouldn't wear his Brownlow medals on game day in the hope of playing better would he? No, so what the umpires think as reflected in Brownlow votes means nothing towards the result. The result of the game is a constant that indicates how well the teams and players performed, in fact to claim that you ignore stats is silly because the score of the game is a stat, quite simple really, you actually can't ignore stats when it is all said and done, but I digress.

No, I was more discussing the claims that Goodes was BOG from the point of view of people who can tell the difference between someone who has played well, and someone who gets the ball a lot but doesn't do anything with it (this isn't always the case with Goodes). I mean he may well get three votes for getting the ball the most in a team that lost heavily, thats the umpires call. But the facts of the game from an observers point of view are that Goodes had no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of the match, nothing, I mean it wasn't like it was close. Even if we ignore the stats that show he basically was inefficient, it wasn't as if Goodes played well enough to almost drag his team over the line (ala Buckley 2002 GF).

So I'm not sure how a mediocre performance (both Goodes and the team) deserves some of the rave reviews it has recieved on here. As a Collingwood supporter I would not be happy with hanging my hat on a medicocre performance on the back of a 7 goal defeat, even us eternal optimists that follow the Pies are not that delusional! I guess you try and take small mercies from a defeat, but not at the cost of ignoring the blatantly obvious fact that Goodes was nowhere near the BOG.

It wasn't as if he ever looked like influencing the game when it really mattered after half time, that was partly because he used the ball poorly and also because his team mates often didn't provide any viable options for him. Rather sadly his performances for the last 8 times the Swans and Collingwood have met have all been futile to varying degrees. Maybe for the Swans he was their BOG, if they are happy with his lack of defensive pressure and poor skills on the day, but not for me thanks.

Sorry if its been mentioned, but he only won his other two Brownlow's because Sydney were quite good at the time. I think he'll find it much harder to poll when Sydney have lost more than they have won.

The bloke had a very average year last year and still polled 20 odd votes. Based on his history with the umpires, I'd be astonished if he didn't win or wasn't at worst Top 3.

The thing about him is, he doesn't have that weight of expectation of a Judd, Ablett or Swan for instance. Those players are the names always thrown out there at the top of Brownlow expectations, and there is no doubt that because of that the umpires mark them more harshly, such is why favourites rarely win. I don't think Goodes gets that.

All I know is, it is a farce should he become a 3- time Brownlow Medallist.[/quote]

Do you rate him alongside Hayden Bunton who won 3 in a 11 or 12 team comp.........................or alongside Dipper (haha)...............or alongside Skilton who won 3 in a 12 team comp??

Fact is, he has won 2 Brownlow medals & could potentially win 4. This year he has it in the bag & then he has another 3 years left in him!

Perhaps you should stand up alongside him, see how big a unit he is & then go & watch him play game after game when on song & you will appreciate just how good this bloke is for his size. Collingwood are no slouches. Nor are Geelong or St Kilda, yet Goodes is just coming off 5 great games, 3 of which were against top 3 teams, & could potentially poll 10 votes from the 5 at worst!

The umpires know just how good he is compared to others out on the ground with him & this is perhaps the reason why they may give him the 2 or 3 votes in a losing game.

Without Goodes yesterday, we may have gone down by som 60 points IMO!!

A farce is when a team can win 55 odd games from 58, with a GF being one of them & to make an even bigger farce, the team that beat them is sitting outside the 8 with one game to play!

That is a farce my friend!

History at this point in time will show.................

G Ablett Snr................0 p'ships from 3 or 4 GFs..........0 Brownlows!

G Ablett Jnr................1 p'ship from 2 GFs ......0 Brownlows!

L Ablett......................1 p'ship from 2 GFs.........0 Brownlows!

A Goodes...................1 p'ship from 2 GFs.........2 Brownlows!

Goodes is a champion in most eyes...........................except the ignorant one eyed!!

Here's some news.......

1. The Brownlow does not reward consistency. There are only 6 votes awarded each game to only 3 players.

2. You don't get bonus points for having an extra extra good game. 50 possessions still only gets at best 3 votes.

3. It is in the eye of the beholder. This is the umpires' award, no-one else's. They didn't ask for it to become the high profile award that it is, the media and the supporters made it so. There are things that the umpires see and things that they don't. Moreover, it apparently doesn't help one's chances if one spends time throughout the game yapping at them. It cost Diesel his third and has probably cost Ablett a couple too.

4. For various reasons, certain players stand out. With Goodes, the reason is obvious, he never gets a possession that isn't noticed by all there. Kirk, and many others like him, get stacks of possessions that go unseen. Deal with it. It's probably why Swan can't win.

I think probably Chris Judd will win this year. Other players that would be deserving include Ablett, Selwood, Swan, Montagna, Dal Santo, and yes, Adam Goodes. They would all be worthy winners this year.

One other thing about Goodes.......the majority of teams in the comp would pick him first for any position on the park if they had the chance. In other words, take any position on the ground, and the number of clubs that would choose Goodes to play that position rather than the bloke they have will always outnumber the clubs that wouldn't.

Tedeski said:
Without Goodes yesterday, we may have gone down by som 60 points IMO!!!

Are you kidding??? ONLY Collingwood's woefull goal kicking kept the game from being a 12-15 goal rout.

It's quite obvious that Frederlick either didn't watch the game or knows sweet fa about football. Yes Goodes had a low kicking efficiency but he hardly butchered the ball. It was more to do with how often he kicked long inside 50 only for the Collingwood defenders to repel it. The guy was on fire yesterday

Frederlick... please go back to looking at stats and DT scores because you really are starting to look like a fool. I think even most Collingwood supporters would acknowledge Goodes was brilliant yesterday.

Goodes luvs playing the pies...been our hoodoo club for too damn long but can never fault his efforts.

There was a game a cpl of yrs ago against them when we were never in the hunt yet he had 20 contested possessions in a losing team...it was Pies V Adam Goodes and its still the same. We're just bloody terrible against them apart from Goodes.

He has had a damn good season and the few extra votes coming home strong might put him in with a chance...would be thoroughly deserved again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Too late for Goodes??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back