Other Teams
ESSENDON
the best players ive ever seen r from rougly 97-98 to now

1. carey- hird (can't decide which ones more top
2. rob harvey- this guy is a champ
3. lockett- well wat mroe can u say
4. dunstall- see no 3
5. lloydy
6. akermanis- i know u probably all cant stand him but his a champ and he speaks his mind
7. voss
8. scott west- extreeeeeemly underrated
9. riccuito
10. silvagni

outsiders- wanganeen, tredrae peter matera.

Ablett Snr
Carey
Voss
Hird
Buckley
Dunstall
Lockett
Matera
Harvey
Daicos

Apologies to... Jarman/Akermanis/Riccuito/Jakovich/West/Silvagni

hirdy_is_champ said:
the best players ive ever seen r from rougly 97-98 to now

1. carey- hird (can't decide which ones more top
2. rob harvey- this guy is a champ
3. lockett- well wat mroe can u say
4. dunstall- see no 3
5. lloydy
6. akermanis- i know u probably all cant stand him but his a champ and he speaks his mind
7. voss
8. scott west- extreeeeeemly underrated
9. riccuito
10. silvagni

outsiders- wanganeen, tredrae peter matera.

1) Carey (enough said)
2) Lockett/ Dunstall/ Ablett (sorry all 3 were that good and can not split them, all with over 1000 goals)
3) D Jarman (91-99)
4) A McLeod (97-02)
5) R Harvey (97, 98)
6) M Voss (94 and 99-03)
7) M Ricciuto (97- 04)
8) P Kelly (95-97)
9) Peter Matera (early 1990’s)
10) Scott Hodges (1990, he kicked 153 goals, he kicked like 90 goals in the last 13 rounds if my memory allows, lam sure any Port Adelaide fan will help us out with their wonderful history)

* Brackets indicate the years of their brilliance

Gary Ablett
Wayne Carey
James Hird
Simon Madden
Peter Dacos
Kevin Bartlett
Tony Lockett
Greg Williams
Alex Jesaulenko
Leigh Matthews

Coach would be Ron Barassi

These players easily out class the Matera's, McLeods etc of the current players running around, while players like Lloyd and Tredrea although good, are miles away from the best in the last 20 yrs

1. Dunstall
2. Platten
3. Tuck
4. Ayres
5. Crawford
6. Brereton
7. Dipierdomenico
8. Kennedy
9. Langford
10. Buckenara

:D I only ever paid attention to hawthorn players, and these were the top 10 i saw in my time....

Ablett
Carey
Hird
Akermanis
McLeod (I was at the 97 GF)
D.Jarman
R.Harvey
P.Riccardi
G.Hocking
T.Modra

Probably my most enjoyable to watch, as they were all exceptional at what they did. Dunstall and Lockett didn't get a mention purely because they were a good mark and a great kick on a set shot, but outside of that they didn't really do much. They are both legends and kicked 1000 goals, but weren't as flashy or as gutsy as some of the others on my list. I admit I'm biased towards Geelong, but the main reason for Hocking and Riccardi on my list is that they are the players who instantly popped up in my head Ricco for his silky skills and great left foot goals from outside 50 on the run, and Buddha for his hard as nails approach to the game and fantastic skills.

The others are all flashy goal kickers (apart from Harvey and McLeod who were just stars) who could do the impossible and kick miracle goals and take miracle marks. Very enjoyable to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mattlowry said:
This thread will be very suspect with people putting players in there own clubs up higher than they deserve. Shouldnt let people put players from the club they support in. Would make things more interesting.

The thread asks for the 10 best players "uve ever seen", so it's obvious people will go for players of their own clubs because they see them a lot more often.

Here's mine:

Leigh Matthews
Wayne Carey
Barrie Robran
Gary Ablett
Darren Jarman
Peter Hudson
Peter Knights
Alex Jesaulenko
Michael Voss
James Hird

And I could possibly name another 8-10 who could be in that list, like Malcolm Blight, Robert Harvey, Jason Dunstall, Tony Lockett, Graham Farmer, etc.

WestCat said:
T.Modra

Dunstall and Lockett didn't get a mention purely because they were a good mark and a great kick on a set shot, but outside of that they didn't really do much.

As much as I respect your opinion .... you say Dunstall and Lockett didn't so much other than mark and kick goals, and then you pick MODRA??? :confused:

N.Buckley
W.Carey
M.Voss
T.Lockett
M. Ruicutto
W.Tredrea
J.Hird
B. Cousins
A.Mcleod
J. Akermanis

I can say the top 10 currently running around in the game are...I'm going to miss a ton of players and be yelled at BUT and in no particular order

1)Michael Voss
2)James Hird
3)Warren Tredrea
4)Robert Harvey
5)Adam Simpson
6)Mark Ricciuto
7)Chris Judd
8)Daniel Wells (future potential)
9)Matthew Lloyd
10)Nigel Lappin

Top 10 ive seen....

1. Garry Ablett Snr
2. Wayne Carey
3. Robert Harvey
4. Michael Voss
5. James Hird
6. Tony Lockett
7. Nathan Buckley
8. Chris Grant
9. Peter Matera
10. Garry Hocking

Adelaide Hawk said:
As much as I respect your opinion .... you say Dunstall and Lockett didn't so much other than mark and kick goals, and then you pick MODRA??? :confused:

What I meant was that Plugger and Dunstall are both leading forwards as opposed to Modra who did the high jumping speccy marks and kicked a few ripper goals (I probably didn't word it correctly :eek: ). I just found Modra enjoyable to watch.

1) Wayne Carey - Obvious reasons, the guy could turn a game off his own boot. Un-selfish player and was a very credible leader, just a pure superstar, it's a pity most people will remember him for his off field actions, but not me. Greatest i have ever seen, doubt anyone will come close. Centre Half Foward is the hardest spot to play on the field and Carey made it his own. Set the standard of what a true CHF should be like. If it wasn't for injury, he probably could of done alot more, i have no doubt. I nearly cried when he retired, just a true footballer.

2) Gary Ablett Snr - Geelong's greatest goal kicker, took marks one would think isn't even possible, big bags in games his team lost. To sum it all up, Ablett was a freak show, he could do it all. The most natrually gifted football player i have seen, people say he had an attitude problem but it dosen't mean anything if the guy could show up each week and preform like he did. The Hall of Fame is a joke for keeping this legend out over off field happenings.

3) Nathan Buckley - Some may say i'm bias, but if you really sit down and watch this bloke play, you'll realise my reason behind this high ranking. Possibly the greatest field kick the game has ever seen, i'm yet to see somebody come close (Hunt from Geelong maybe) Everytime Buckley gathers the ball, he is calm and poised under extreme pressure and always delivers the ball lace out on the chest. No matter what distance, 15 or 50. The most consistent player i have seen, always in the best and played with a struggling team for many years but still got up there in the Charlie votes.

4) Greg Williams
5) James Hird
6) Tony Lockett
7) Stephan Silvagni
8) Peter Matera
9) Peter Daicos
10) Gavin Wanganeen

Note: My top 10 is from mid 80's to current, i'm judging from video tape and live experiances.

Top 10 is too hard. My thoughts are who was best are based on who gave me the biggest buzz watching their skills. Naturally players from your own club make a bigger impression on you. In no particular order ...

Jesaulenko
Matthews
Silvagni
Koutoufides
Daicos
Dunstall
Lockett
Williams
Voss
Hird

Pretty biased I know but I resisted the temptation to put Bradley and Kernahan in there. Not sure why Carey and Ablett didn't make as much impression on me but it may have something to do with the fact that I didn't get to watch them too often unless they were playing against Carlton and Silvagni usually did pretty well against them.

1. Ian Stewart
2. Darryl Baldock
3. Bob SKilton
4. Ted Whitten
5. John Coleman
6. Lou richards
7. Haydun Bunton
8. Polly Farmer
9. Bob Davie
10. Carl Dittreich

I'm 100 years old

nah seriously..

1. Wayne Carey
2. Robert Harvey
3. Tony Lockett
4. Ablett
5. Hird
6. Voss
7. Dunstall
8. Silvagni
9. Wally Matera - nah Peter
10. Platten

I go back a little bit further than most posters here and some of my best are not all the usual names trotted out.

1. Wayne Carey (great in the hardest position)
2. Leigh Matthews (gun)
3. Michael Voss (inspirational player and great leader)
4. Robert Flower (Poise counts!!)
5. Bruce Doull (rarely beaten and one of first to attack from defence)
6. Kevin Bartlett (Pure rover , great kick for goal, resilient over 20 years)
7. Doug Hawkins (great one and one, sublime kick)
8. James Hird (courage, skill, total package)
9. Scott West (I have watched his whole career and continually amazes me)
10. Gary Ablett (change a game frequently)

Two Doggies I know but watched their whole careers. Tried to be objective with the others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 players uve ever seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back