Top 5 biggest drafting mistakes!

Remove this Banner Ad

This crap has been done to death!

This whole passing on this person to get that person is just like 1 million people every week going " shit i was going to pick those lotto numbers"

no-one knows shit about how good a player is going to be and if they think they do then they're talking out of thier ass!

every club has made atleast 10 really really bad draft choices over the years with some being bigger than others but the whole thing is like having a conversation in the grand canyon, all you get is an echo over and over and over again!

Mate the reason of this thread is to emphasis how good Buddy is! Drafting Griffen WAS a mistake when you could of had buddy. Drafting Deledio was a mistake and Deledio's shown more than Griffen! Buddy will end up kick 1500 goals! He's a very special player and makes any side a 5 goal better team. Griffen WAS a mistake!

I would still take Griff over Lance.

Ryan is not a timebomb off the field. Lance has the potential to be another Michael Vick.

Mate the reason of this thread is to emphasis how good Buddy is! Drafting Griffen WAS a mistake when you could of had buddy. Drafting Deledio was a mistake and Deledio's shown more than Griffen! Buddy will end up kick 1500 goals! He's a very special player and makes any side a 5 goal better team. Griffen WAS a mistake!

deledio has shown more than griffen? Mate , what coulured glasses do you have on? what a joke !

deledio has shown more than griffen? Mate , what coulured glasses do you have on? what a joke !

Same can be asked of you chief!

stats show that every year since 05 Lids has done more than Griffen in basically every area.

yes its true!

Griffen is an awesome player and i love watching him go about his business.
like i stated earlier, no-one knows how good someone is going to turn out.

Both clubs are happy with thier respective players so really this crap should be put to bed!

danny roach for the pies , wasnt he like a number 7 pick or there abouts. had one tackle in his only game or somethign then retired

PLEASE!

The biggest draft screw up was clearly Luke Molan.

See, at least Tambling is doing something.

But jeez, 9th in the best draft EVER and the guy didn't even play a game.

Beat me too it. One of Craig Cameron's biggest all time blunders, and he hasn't got a great track record at the draft table either. Some real rubbish selections. Molan was terrible, although he had a horror run with injuries which include doing his shoulder AND his knee in one tackle.

Now Craig Cameron is at the Tigers. Perfect fit really.

In recent years Geelong hasn't had much chance to make a real mistake, our lowest pick in the last decade is #7. Trading for Mitchell White was probably our worst recent decision, but even say Tenace in 2003 isn't too bad as that has proven to be a very shallow draft.

Franklin though has gone from an unco-ordinated 1st year player in 2005, to a spasmodic talent who showed glimpses in 2006, to a genuine key forward in 2007 to now a player who people speak about with suggestions of being comparable to Gary Ablett Sr. At age 21 his is one of the most prodigous talents of his size and impact on a game we have seen for years. Judd won a Brownlow and also was instrumental in aan Eagle flag, plus possesses a Norm Smith, but Buddy now must make the other two sides wince at not grabbing him.

Mind you, all draft blunders are based on hindsight, as my memories of the talk of the 2004 draft had Tambling and Deledio extremely highly rated, with Griffen also talked about a lot. Roughead was a smokey, and Franklin sort of fell off the radar a little after a poor carnival and some ambiguitites in his testing at the draft camp.

However, Richmond must have migraines thinking of what could have been..

My top 5 blunders:-

Tambling for Franklin (Although not so much Tambling, anyone would have been an error, except Deledio who really was rated a clear #1 that year)

Sampi instead of Bartel (Superdraft, almost guaranteed star, but a wash out there for the eagles)

Griffen for Franklin:- Only because the package Franklin brings is beyond anything that we've seen for a long time. I would contend he is the best player actually drafted since zoning/under 19's was abolished

Fiora for Pavlich:- Great sized player was overlooked for a quick flanker, but a massive error there.

Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls:- Not over anyone in particular, but mainly as unlike most of the top players in that group, he has had next to no impact as a senior player, and is looking likely never to.

Great post catsace sums things up well. Oakleigh Nicoll LOL, I can only help but laugh when hearing his name!

Recruiting players is like a game of chance; you can never tell what will happen. Sure, if a club picked up an overweight 26 year old known to have an attitude problem at his previous club with its first pick rather than recruiting a star 18 year old from the TAC Cup, then criticism would be justified, but sometimes recruitment just doesn't work out the way the club officials, fans, teamates and the player himself would have liked.

Take the case of Nathan Chapman, who was recruited by the Brisbane Bears in the 1992 National Draft with pick 2. In 1993 & 1994, he gave every indication that he would be a star player for the Bears for many years, but after that injuries kicked in, and eventually he was traded by the Lions to Hawthorn for the 1998 season. There he played a limited number of games before being delisted at the end of the 2000 season. While his former Lions teamates were enjoying their premiership success in 2001-2-3, Chapman, still aged in his 20s, had already departed the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would still take Griff over Lance.

Ryan is not a timebomb off the field. Lance has the potential to be another Michael Vick.

Your an idiot, be honest no one would do that. You'd be premership favourites had you drafted Franklin!

no he's not
he is exactly right
buddy has the rep of being a loose cannon off the field

no he's not
he is exactly right
buddy has the rep of being a loose cannon off the field

Let me get this straight - if you had the choice right now of taking Buddy or Griffen, you would take Griffen?

Don't get me wrong, Griffen is a very, very good player, but he is nowhere near the player Buddy is. Although I do feel like I am talking to a brick wall here, so maybe I'll leave it....

Regarding the Judd/Bartel/Sampi superdraft, let's not forget that Graham Polak was number 4, and Xavier Clarke was 5. Imagine how good St. Kilda's midfield would be if they had Dal Santo, Ball and Bartel all in the same draft!

Also Steve Johnson was pick 24 that year, would've been better as a small forward than Sampi too.

Although I do feel like I am talking to a brick wall here, so maybe I'll leave it....

haaaah I love that. Wish I had the ability to say this to myself on forums, whenever I see a pointless argument my brain zero's in on it and I can't help but engage.

FWIW I think Griffen over Franklin is a far worse pick than Tambling over Franklin because of the difference between Richmond and the Doggies forward lines and the fact that Bulldogs are litterally a Franklin away from a big silver cup thingo.

I can kinnnnnnda see where the Bullies are coming from on Griffen over Buddy.

Would have loved to see Judd in Hawk colours over the last 6 years... but vomit at the thought of Hodgey playing for West Coast.

Or all picks before Chris Grant...

Hird >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Grant

Same can be asked of you chief!

stats show that every year since 05 Lids has done more than Griffen in basically every area.

yes its true!

Griffen is an awesome player and i love watching him go about his business.
like i stated earlier, no-one knows how good someone is going to turn out.

Both clubs are happy with thier respective players so really this crap should be put to bed!

yes, he may have more stats and possessions , but what your failing to see is that the dogs are a few years ahead in development than the tigers, so naturally, deludio is going to get more possessions and look better because he is in a team thats a few years behind the dogs in development, and he is one of the better kids in the team, whereas griffen has many players around him that are a bit older and are more developed and mature, so he isnt going to stand out as much.

anyway , they are different styles of players, and i happen to like griffens run and gun takem on style of game more than deledio - just my personal opinion:p

know what i mean?

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 5 biggest drafting mistakes!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back