Autopsy Top and Bottom five AFL commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as callers of the game go, I like the old style callers, Sandy Roberts, Drew Morphett, Peter Donegan, those types who just call the game without the extra shit that the likes of Dwayne Russell and Brian Taylor throw into their calling.

As for journos, there are so few and far between, Sam Landesberger is one of the better out there, and obviously Emma Quayle has it all covered when it comes to the drafts and youngsters.

Agree - I prefer the Old Channel 7 Calls before they Lost the Rights in early 2000's.

Emma is a Fantastic Jurno

Dwayne Russell is clearly the worst going around by the length of the straight. Uses the same cliché's and phrases every week.

'Splendid', 'Chaos Ball', 'Disastrous'...just to name a few. Everything is a disaster to Dwayne, and he is very quick to write a person off with injury before they are even assessed.

I've always been a huge Bruce fan, but I think he has gone way past it now. It has become a bit uncomfortable listening to him.

Where Bruce excels is his research and knowledge. He clearly knows his stuff and seems to be one of the few commentators who reads up on statistics and watches games. Sometimes the others stagger me with how little they have researched. But unfortunately Bruce just gets too excited and its hard to listen to. He may have to stick to his horse racing now where I think he is an excellent commentator.

No particular order.

Top 5

Sandy Roberts.
Huddo.
Drew Morphett.
Bruce McAvaney.
Dennis Cometti.

Because I love old school commentary.

Bottom 5.

Lynchy, Dwayne Russell, Luke Darcy and Tony Shaw all want to change the AFL rules in a heartbeat.
Big bad boring sounding Barry Hall.

I agree with this. In the old days they were just professional commentators. I could not tell you who Sandy Roberts, Drew Morphett or Bruce barrack for. Dennis is clearly a WA man, but he is also fairly unbiased. Huddo is a Geelong tragic but doesn't really let it affect him.

But it seems these days the media is infiltrated by former players who have allegiances and agendas. Eddie and Brayshaw fit into that mould as well since I can't really listen to them talk about their respective clubs.

I just prefer a guy who calls the game

Dwayne Russell is clearly the worst going around by the length of the straight. Uses the same cliché's and phrases every week.

'Splendid', 'Chaos Ball', 'Disastrous'...just to name a few. Everything is a disaster to Dwayne, and he is very quick to write a person off with injury before they are even assessed.

Dwayne Also get Players Wrong:rolleyes:

Matthew 'sportbet' cambell, dwayne and hamish mclachlan are the main three that make me question my sanity.

I also think I'm one of the few that doesn't mind BT that much, even in channel 7 ridiculous mode. i think it's because i think he is actually a pretty good entertaining commentator who is choosing to be a goof, when the first three are horrible and simply awful being themselves.

I don't have much time for the forced "cleverness" in vogue with today's commentators. Nor do I like the fake excitement some of them think is required. Most of all, I dislike the laziness of the Fox commentators who can't be bothered learning the names of new players for the preseason games, and who are too bored to call the game, preferring to pontificate on trends while play is on. We only watch the preseason to see the new players.

All I want to say is how that assclown Maher still holds a job in the media , has me absolutely tossed ,he should be packing oranges down at his local coolstore.That stupid little laugh after every question they run past their player interviewees in the mornings , makes me want to puke , god I miss wispy in the mornings p.s Gaze is crap too. ah I feel better now Ive got that off my chest.

Tops:
Drew Morphett: Well balanced mix of disinterest, passion, and knowledge.
Ronnie Rodgers: A caller so transparent and devoid of 'personality' that I'm not even sure that I've identified the right man.
Malcolm Blight: Seems to know better than most callers that footy is a game.
Peter Walsh: His enthusiasm is infectious and enojyable where others are just brash and loud.
David Parkin: Just because it's good to have someone cranky in the box.
(Honourable mentions: Anthony Hudson, Dermott Brereton, Michael Christian - who'd I probably should put in the top 5.)

Bottoms:
Dwayne Russell: Along with someone who may have been Clinton Grybas, one of the few callers to drive me turn a game off.
Rex Hunt: Loud and distracting.
Tim Lane: Probably not quite as clever as he sounds.
Bruce Macavaney: Too much 'personality'.
Mark McClure: Not actually sure he knows what's going on most of the time; discusses the game in the dullest of homespun truisms.
(Dishonourable mentions: Gerard Whately, Stan Alves, Peter Keenan.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't really like many of them to be honest, Cometti can be funny but is slow on the uptake and his self indulgence means he quite often just ignores the play when calling, instead just yabbers away.

Hudson is very good, professional and exciting although i don't like it when they show him on camera, reminds me of Webster.

Bruce Macavaney calls very well it's just the captain obvious comments that shit me with him.

Walls Healy and Lane are all the same, boorish bitter and all with personality of a dying sloth.

One i do really like listening to is Cam Mooney, very intelligent (who would have thought!) and makes real sense with his opinions.

Dermie can be ok but with him i think he just spits out whatever comes into his head and then spends then next 20 minutes tring to explain the dribble that just came out of his mouth.

I find AFL commentary largely a drag in the most part. Some are better than others but as with the AFL media experts I have few favourite AFL commentators. Eddie I feel is impartial and one of the better commentators and Bruce McAvaney while hardly an expert has a likeable energy level with the way he gets excited.

Comments on who has the ball and who they're passing to is tiresome and I find myself commentating over the top of it regardless of the network.

I'd much rather continuous special comments from the commentators. Some will say they can't always determine the player with ball in hand as the camera view is constantly zoomed out and they would be right but my bet beyond this obvious explanation of the commentary style we've always lived with I feel there just isn't broad enough knowledge in any commentary box to give us these continual special comments for this style to be effective where they can seamlessly go from topic to topic, player to player and give us something new. Anyone play the NBA 2k games or watch NBA commentary? That's what I want in the AFL. I'd much rather feel like I'm being educated by the commentators throughout the broadcast learning things I don't know about the players, about the gameplans or anything we might not know. To accomplish this much more research and homework would need to be done.

Watching Foxtel tonite, I was reminded of how annoying Mike Sheahan is. Can't quite put my finger on it. He gushes over ex-players and coaches, tries too hard IMO.

But - I can't believe I forgot him - Craig Hutchinson. He is at the very bottom of footy commentators for me.

My best: Dennis, Huddo, Bruce, David King, Triple M Team....

Worst: Dwayne Russell, Luke Darcy and BT.

Brian was the best when he was on triple m. Ever since he left them, he turned to absolute shite!

No particular order.

Top 5

Sandy Roberts.
Huddo.
Drew Morphett.
Bruce McAvaney.
Dennis Cometti.

Because I love old school commentary.

Bottom 5.

Lynchy, Dwayne Russell, Luke Darcy and Tony Shaw all want to change the AFL rules in a heartbeat.
Big bad boring sounding Barry Hall.
My top 5 of all time.
Sandy Roberts. TV
Lou Richards. TV and Radio
Drew Morphett. TV and Radio
Nathan Buckley(briefly) TV
Dennis Cometti. TV

Bottom 5 recently because they so easily fall from memory.

Brian Taylor.
Luke Darcy
Paul Roos
Brett Kirk
Gerard Healy

41 posts before Eddie was mentioned
Thanks Knightmare

I always enjoy his call.

The channel 9 team was the best, way back when :(

One of the worst voices was the woman that channel 10 tried about 3 years ago. Can't remember her name. I think she's gone back to the ABC. Such a flat drawn out way of speaking

Great thread with lots of interesting replies.

I'm in a clear minority liking Gerard Whateley obviously!

There's two I cannot stand who I don't think have even cracked a mention either way
( apologies to anyone if you did mention these two and I missed it)

Dunstall is as dumb as dogshit in my humble opinion, makes an art form of stating the obvious like its some amazing thing he's just come up with plus a Pie hater of the highest order.

Closely followed by Leigh Matthews who lik Dunstall will find an angle to cast doubt any time the Pies are awarded a free yet find a way to justify howlers the other way.

Oh someone else I really like again against the general flow is Mike Sheahan, love the guys perceptiveness and intelligence and willingness to ask the hard question.

Weird how we see things in so many different lights :)

And finally just to seal this as the single worst post ever, I'm warming to Robbo in the semi likeable buffoon role he plays!

Like and respect the guys when you can't tell who they barrack for as well.

41 posts before Eddie was mentioned
Thanks Knightmare

I always enjoy his call.

The channel 9 team was the best, way back when :(

One of the worst voices was the woman that channel 10 tried about 3 years ago. Can't remember her name. I think she's gone back to the ABC. Such a flat drawn out way of speaking

We're on the same page Magpie Girl. Eddie was excellent for channel 9.

Kelli Underwood is the woman you're thinking of. It's hard to get past her voice. I completely agree that she's the hardest to listen to of all the commentators. I muted every time she was talking so I can't even gauge her level of footballing knowledge. She may be a footy expert for all I'd know. Shame she's not in print media instead then we'd more fairly be able to judge her on what she has to offer.

Am I the only person who can't stand Gerrard Whately :( He's easily my most disliked commentator. His articles in the paper are terrible and what got me started hating on him. Also, the stupid book about the horse which he has apparently claimed. Can't stand the guy, he holds to many unqualified opinions on players and teams when I'd wager he's never played a level football higher than his 16's b team.

Honorable mentions to the horrible, self indulgent and gushing commentary of Bruce and Dennis on Friday nights. Dwayne Russel I can't stand and Gerrard Heally for a guy who has won a brownlow medal very rarely has anything meaningful to comment on. Don't go for Luke Darcy much either.

Dermott is the best special comments and it's not close. He has a high level understanding of what's going on in the match and is excellent at communicating it. David King deserves credit for trying to bring a bit of decent analysis back to the coverage. These guys aren't really commentators though.

I'd honestly say that I think Eddie is about the best atm. He just gets on and calls the game, doesn't gush and doesn't make comments about players, coaches and teams that he is unqualified to make. Hudson is decent. BT used to be the best but he has been ruined by Luke Darcy.
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I actually enjoy Richardson and Dermi for special comments.
Liked Eddie's call last year against Richmond.
I suppose Commetti is the best of the rest.

I only half listen to the commentary as can't stand the screeching, like "what a mark" or that was "goal of the day/year" when it wasn't, or pumping up players when they consider it is "special" when in fact it was just good..
Dwayne Russell - mute button or avoid and listen to radio.
Luke Darcy - drives me crazy

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Top and Bottom five AFL commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

Back